Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature applicant entrance exams

Options
  • 09-03-2009 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm applying as a mature student to NUI Maynooth, I recently got a letter to say that I will have entrance exams at the end of the month. I know for this I need to work on my essay writing techniques as I know I will be asked questions requiring essay style answers. What I am concerned about is on what topic I can expect to be asked. I do not want to go into the exams unprepared and I am worried I will be.

So, if anyone has any advise on what I might be asked or have taken this particular exams and can offer and input that would be great!!

I have applied for : Social Science, Psychology and Anthropolgy.

All advise welcome!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 binx

any thoughts on this people???

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

I have also applied to Maynooth and have received acknowledgement of application but have not been informed about entrance exam yet? Is there anyone else in this position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 binx

amtaxi wrote: »
    I have also applied to Maynooth and have received acknowledgement of application but have not been informed about entrance exam yet? Is there anyone else in this position?

It might depend on the course you are applying for, maybe just ring the admissions office, just incase!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

I am the same amtaxi what course have you applied for?

I rang Maynooth so check and was told that exams are on 28th March, they hope to post letters sometime later this week - not giving us much notice eh?!

• Advertisement

What course have you applied for amtaxi.. I hope I dont have an exam? :(

According to Maynooth website:
    The degrees below have written entrance tests, applications will be accepted up to 5pm on March 15th 2009.

Got my letters in the post today re exams next week - one for psychology, one for social science - just 30mins breathing space between both! AGH! Good luck to everyone!:eek:

Got my letters in the post today re exams next week - one for psychology, one for social science - just 30mins breathing space between both! AGH! Good luck to everyone!:eek:

Ah noway, two exams for you in one day :( Ya'l be fine though. At least your hearing back I am after applying for accounting and finance but I think it all goes on my application form. Its hard waiting to find out if I'm in or not :rolleyes: lol. Ah heres hoping :D
    Let us know how your exams go amtaxi? Are they essay style questions? Best of luck anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 InterStu55555

I recently just got my letters for my exams. I have History and English within a half hour of each other on a Saturday as well!!! Talk about a melter!! I reckon it should be fine but they really pile it on. I applied to the single honours as back up though, really hope I get Arts instead, which strangely was just an interview?? And the most laid back interview I've ever had in my life at that!!! Did any other mature student for Arts think the interview was really laid back??? Best of luck everybody!!

• Advertisement

I recently just got my letters for my interviews. I have History and English within a half hour of each other on a Saturday as well!!! Talk about a melter!! I reckon it should be fine but they really pile it on. I applied to the single honours as back up though, really hope I get Arts instead, which strangely was just an interview?? And the most laid back interview I've ever had in my life at that!!! Did any other mature student for Arts think the interview was really laid back??? Best of luck everybody!!

God I hope the other department interviews are as laid back!! Good luck on SAT!!:D

God I hope the other department interviews are as laid back!! Good luck on SAT!!:D

I think it was just because I'm applying as a mature student though. I was all prepared to talk about aspects of the course, what I hoped to achieve from it etc but they were more concerned that I had my stuff sorted out with regards to fee's, grants, accommodation etc so it was a pleasant surprise because luckily I had looked into all that obviously as I'm going back as a mature student. To be honest I don't even think it was the arts co-ordinator or whatever who I met with, think it was just the mature student officer and a guy from the applications office. Are you going back as a mature student? Best of luck anyhew!!!

Any one have any ideas when the interviews are? for maynooth.

ontour wrote: »
    Any one have any ideas when the interviews are? for maynooth.

I just had mine for Arts on the 12th of this month and now have English and History essay writing on the 3rd of April. I'd say it probably depends on what course you've applied to mate but I'd ring them and ask to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jimster

Have the entrance exam for history in Maynooth on Saturday any tips?? is it all essay based or is there a multiple choice section??

Jimster wrote: »
    Have the entrance exam for history in Maynooth on Saturday any tips?? is it all essay based or is there a multiple choice section??

each department sets their own exam, I did Social Science, Psychology exams last week they were essay style but fairly straightforward. I wouldn't panic about them you'll be fine - nothing like UCD exam if you've done that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jimster

Thanks haven't done the ucd one but have done the sample maps questions...how did you your interview go... I see some people were interviewed by the student officer and admissions staff, I was interviewed by the Dean of the faculty of arts I wonder is that a bad sign???

Jimster wrote: »
    Thanks haven't done the ucd one but have done the sample maps questions...how did you your interview go... I see some people were interviewed by the student officer and admissions staff, I was interviewed by the Dean of the faculty of arts I wonder is that a bad sign???

Haven't had interview yet! That's the next stage - fingers crossed!

Advertisement