Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Invitation :RCF MMA Competition, Egypt, 5,000 Euro Prize money

Options
  • 09-03-2009 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

RCF
    MMA Amateur/Semi-Pro Competition
    Held in Cairo's National Stadium in Egypt
    Grand Prizes of 5,000 Euro per winner
    This is a chance for fighters to compete in Cairo, Egypt in front of a crowd of up to 10,000 for two grand prizes of 5,000 Euro
    Conditions :
    Fight will be held in Cairo, Egypt in July of 2009. Fighters will have flights and accommodation paid for during this period. Contracts will be signed by all involved and Visa’s if required will be arranged. There will be two grand prizes of 5,000 Euro for each class winner. Referees and Judges will be brought from Ireland to Egypt for the event. A crowd of up to 10,000 spectators will be expected so fighters must be prepared. Fighters will be brought over 4 days to a week before the night of the fight to acclimatize and train. Corner teams will be provided. If fighters break any terms of the contract they can be withdrawn from the competition. Drug testing can be done at any stage until the time of the fight. Training gear will be provided for each competitor.

*Minimum requirements of 3 fights in a recognised competition held in Ireland. Must be free to travel to Egypt in the month of July for a minimum of 7 days

Applications must include two photographs in MMA gear and background information (i.e which MMA schools you have trained in, which competitions you have competed in, what martial arts you have trained in and for how long)

Successful applicants will be invited down to train, spar and show their skills for the final places in Wild Geese Martial Arts Club (http://www.wildgeesema.com/)

Rules will be based around standard class B rules with some variations (will be listed on website in due time)

Injuries :
    During the night of the fight a private ambulance and staff will be employed. Any injuries sustained will be treated in a private hospital in Cairo with the best of medical care, on condition that if the injury requires a longer stay in Cairo the promoters will endure the cost. Travel insurance will be provided.

Weight Classes:
    Light Heavyweight : over 185lbs to 205lbs x 4 fighters + 1 back up fighter
    Heavy Weight : over 205lbs x 4 fighters + 1 back up fighter
    Rounds :
    I I I I (1st round of fights)
    I I (2nd round of fights)
    I
    A vs B, C vs D : Winners face off for prize of 5,000 Euro.

Time between first fight and final fight approx 1 hour to allow fighters rest
    Same format for each weight class fight

Keep an eye on our website www.rcf.ie for updates in the coming week

Any questions please ask here or through the emails below

Applications can be sent to Omar@rcf.ie and karl.walsh@rcf.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Interesting. A few questions.

Who is behind this venture?
    Who are the referees and judges who will be brought over from Ireland?
    Why aren't the trials in one of the many MMA gyms in Dublin?
    Why is it only heavy and light heavyweight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 realcagefights

Who is behind this venture?
    Its a combination of an Irish Promotion Company and an Egyptian Promotion Company who have dealt with sporting events such as wrestling, boxing and under 20's Football World Cup.

Who are the referees and judges who will be brought over from Ireland?
    A separate recruitment process will be underway for this. Due to unforeseen extra time invested in the Egyptian side of the promotion (such as licensing, medical etc) , we thought it best to get the invitation out now while continuing to work on the Irish side of things, so that people interested have the time to ask questions and prepare if need be.

Why aren't the trials in one of the many MMA gyms in Dublin?
    Thanks to a very generous offer by Wild Geese MA, we will be holding any trails in their facilities.

Why is it only heavy and light heavyweight?
    From our research it is these two weight classes which the Egyptian population are most interested in seeing compete and it will also help pool together competitors in these weight classes to compete where they might not have had much opportunity before.

It should be noted that the rules will include no knees or elbows to the face and no strikes to the back while an opponent is on his knee's but still trying to stand up as we feel it is too dangerous for the competitors. For this event the competitors well being is our number one concern.

We are open to criticism and suggestions for judges/referees while we continue our own scouting work. It is our hope that this event becomes a good opportunity for those competitors/clubs in Ireland to get involved and that it benefits everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

This sounds like a great idea. But there are barely any light-heaveyweight or heavyweight fighters in Ireland. Actually, I can't remember the last time I even saw these weight classes on an irish card.

If you want this to be a success you need to use lighter weight classes. Then you can have Irish superstars like Gary Morris on the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

This sounds like a great idea. But there are barely any light-heaveyweight or heavyweight fighters in Ireland. Actually, I can't remember the last time I even saw these weight classes on an irish card.

If you want this to be a success you need to use lighter weight classes. Then you can have Irish superstars like Gary Morris on the card.
    Be honest Gary did you set up a second account?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

I love Gary Morris! Hes so awesome!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I love Gary Morris! Hes so awesome!:D

I think gaz might swing both ways if the right offer comes along so at least the lad has a chance!

I want a fan too-;)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

That could be a great relationship. Somebody who is judomad with someone who is karatekrazy. I smell a sitcom

cowzerp wrote: »
    I think gaz might swing both ways if the right offer comes along so at least the lad has a chance!

I want a fan too-;)

I love Paul Cowzer too!

He rocks!:D

lads, could we stick to the topic please;)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

haha this karatekrazy poster is getting obvious now, not the first thread he/she mentioned my name....its annoying to be honest :( some people are just lame and have more time on there hands than they need, grow up get a life and find a hobby

• Advertisement

lads, could we stick to the topic please;)

Ok sorry
    Are coaches/ Cornermen catered for?

Corner teams will be provided by us for the event. One coach per fighter will be brought over at our expense. If anyone wishes for extra people to come along, I am afraid it will be at their own expense.

While over in Cairo, training facilities will be provided for competitors for the days before the competition day.

At the moment we are looking at getting qualified referee's and judges from the U.K who will have no affiliation.

Any questions, feel free to ask but please make sure to keep it on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

Judomad wrote: »
    haha this karatekrazy poster is getting obvious now, not the first thread he/she mentioned my name....its annoying to be honest :( some people are just lame and have more time on there hands than they need, grow up get a life and find a hobby

Jesus man, I'm just a fan. I think your awesome. I definitely think your going places. But you should appreciate your support!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

qualified referee's and judges

And those qualifications might be from where? :rolleyes:

The MMA governing body of course!!:D
    Oh wait.......

They will be coming from the U.K and will have being involved in competitions over there. Once names have been gotten they will be posted up and you can make your decisions then. Criticisms and questions welcomed of course, without resorting to :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

heeheehee! I love the skepticism!!!:D:D:D

Well it's easy to be skeptical about something like this. A company that has never dealt with any promotion before that is 3,000 miles away, and another company that has never dealt with any event before that is in Dublin that doesn't seem to have anyone from Irish MMA involved. There are maybe 2 genuine pro heavyweights in Ireland, after that there are some overweight amateurs who by the time they come to the pro ranks will probably be middleweights, same with light heavy. An advertisement for SEMI-PRO/AMATEUR fighters, yet they will be fighting professional rules. Professionals are professionals because they have the experience and skills necessary to fight at that level. If I played in today's rugby match I'd be seriously hurt. Fighting is no different.

I was going to keep schtum about this as I make a point of not interfering in other people's business, but having asked around a bit this strikes me as someone looking to make a fast buck. You can spout off as much as you want saying this and that about fighter safety being paramount but the thing is that Mark Leonard, John Kavanagh et al (and even myself) don't have to say that because we're known and trusted by the coaches and fighters we get because we train and coach and fight or have fought. I have spoken to one of the promoters on the phone and I know he's a nice bloke, but I'm a lovely fella and I won't be promoting any concerts, or cricket matches or wrestlemanias any time soon.

Irish promoters make money out of the shows they run (sometimes) of course, believe you me it's not much. But local fighters get to fight, local people get to see the MMA scene and perhaps go to train which feeds back into the Irish MMA scene as a whole and keeps it healthy and vibrant. I don't think this even offers anything to Ireland's MMA scene. I think at this stage we should be looking to band together to prevent people using us as an opportunity to make some fast money.

I have to call it as I see it. I care about this game.

Thank you for your opinion Barry. As we said, criticisms and questions welcomed and encouraged.

We will start by saying that we do have MMA advisors just because you and those who you talk to do not know them first hand does not make them any less involved or experienced in MMA than anyone else on this forum.

We never said that we would ONLY be getting fighters from Ireland. We would prefer to do so but are welcoming interest from the UK, Poland etc.

We never stated they would be fighting professional rules fights. We said the rules would be based around class B with additions aswell which will be put up on the website in due time. We posted here to get the word out and give people time to think about if they wish to try out. After all, our MMA advisor has gone through the rules of the of the class B fights and adding what he feels help reduce the risk of serious injury to anyone involved. For example we went through the rules listed on the following sites. http://mmaleagueco.web133.discountasp.net/Default.aspx and http://www.mmaireland.com/events/ . So until the rules are up on the website I would appreciate keeping an open mind and not telling us what rules we are using.

Bare in mind we did say Semi Pro aswell as Amateur with a minimum of 3 fights and there is a reason why we will be holding try outs so that we know the 10 competitors going into the compeition are on a similar level and have the skill to perform at this level. It is not a matter of picking names out of a hat and pitting them against each other which, correct me if I am wrong, you get the impression we are doing. We respect your position and that you are looking out for anyone that may want to get involved.

As a promoter, it is our responsibility to take care of the business side of things and make sure that everything the compeitors need is taken care of, in addition to this we have enlisted the help of those inolved in MMA to make sure everything is done right and the right people are picked. We are not going into this with our eyes closed.

You seem to have missed a key point aswell. This event is about promoting a growing interest of MMA in Cairo, Egypt with an emphasis on the competitors being from Ireland. This will give these competitors a chance to travel to Cairo, compete in front of up to 10,000 people and have a chance to win 5,000 Euro and if all goes well this opens up oppertunities for Irish instructors to hold seminars in Cairo if the interest becomes big enough. We never once suggested we are doing this in Ireland or doing this for a 'fast buck'. Our hope is that the event recieves a great reception and can become a yearly event and for this to happen we want everything to be done correct and by the book as it were. Yes, there will be money made, more so than here, but that is going to be going to cover alot of costs that will be incured which organisers of compeitions on small scales here do not have to worry about (the stadium for example) and it is due to all this that we are able to offer a combined prize of 10,000 euro and flights and accomodation.

We would also like to point out that while we are trying to get Judges et all from the UK so that they can be impartial. That being said, we did say any suggestions are welcome, but not one of the names you stated has come forward to offer their services as a referee so that they can make sure the matches are refereed correctly. I would think that if you were only concerned about the competitors safety on the night then that would have been an avenue to go down instead of phrases like 'we should be looking to band together to prevent people using us as an opportunity to make some fast money'
    Anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask here or email. Same goes for criticisims which seem to be in ample supply.

We will start by saying that we do have MMA advisors just because you and those who you talk to do not know them first hand does not make them any less involved or experienced in MMA than anyone else on this forum.
    I'm sure you won't have a problem naming them then.
    We never stated they would be fighting professional rules fights. We said the rules would be based around class B with additions aswell which will be put up on the website in due time.
    B class is pro. They're getting paid, therefore they're pro.
    For example we went through the rules listed on the following sites. http://mmaleagueco.web133.discountasp.net/Default.aspx and http://www.mmaireland.com/events/ . So until the rules are up on the website I would appreciate keeping an open mind and not telling us what rules we are using.
    Right well I can't speak for anyone else but that is comical to be frank. You did some intensive internet research which took in a brief synopsis on an events thread and a beginner's MMA tournament's rules for an event that is going to have 10,000 people at it.
    Bare in mind we did say Semi Pro aswell as Amateur with a minimum of 3 fights and there is a reason why we will be holding try outs so that we know the 10 competitors going into the compeition are on a similar level and have the skill to perform at this level.
    At what level? I don't think you know what level you're aiming at. I don't think you know what level MMA in Ireland is at and I don't think your hybrid rules are going to be any better than any rules that exist on this island currently.
    As a promoter, it is our responsibility to take care of the business side of things and make sure that everything the compeitors need is taken care of, in addition to this we have enlisted the help of those inolved in MMA to make sure everything is done right and the right people are picked. We are not going into this with our eyes closed.
    If this is so, please list the previous promotions your company has done, the experience your promotions team has had with MMA and safety.
    Anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask here or email. Same goes for criticisims which seem to be in ample supply.
    If I went to promote a pro boxing match tomorrow with the uninformed statements you've been putting about I would expect more criticism than you're recieving now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Just in case anybody cares, i was very sceptical when i first read this.....then yesterday i find it out it's a good friend and former training partner of mine who is one of the men behind the mask so to speak.

As such, my doubts have been removed.

If anyone cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 skunkythemonkey

i am egyptian and i think it will go really well over there, people will go mad for it! big venue too. best of luck guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Sounds like the OP is serious about putting on a proper show to me, unlike one or two shows we've witnessed over here in the past few years. If someone wants to go fight B class rules in Egypt, why not? Once the referees are named and the rules set out in detail (which isn't that hard) and insurance is provided etc I don't see any problem with the promoter trying to make a 'quick buck'. Not all promoters have to be pure MMA altruists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Valmont wrote: »
    Not all promoters have to be pure MMA altruists.

Exactly.

Someone running a show for profit? The bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Concerns stem from health and safety concerns for fighters. Unless I am mistaken, these havent been allayed.

dunkamania wrote: »
    Concerns stem from health and safety concerns for fighters. Unless I am mistaken, these havent been allayed.
    Exactly

Thanks for the replies and words of encouragement. We want to make this the best it can be for all involved and want everyone to come away from the event with a good experience. Also many thanks to those who have contacted us about entering the competition. There will be further developments as time goes on and everyone will be kept updated.

In relation to the health and safety of the fighters. We have replied to those questions further back in the post and in the initial post. If there is anything specific please ask.

The website is still being worked on and we are hoping to have it finished and full of information by the end of the week. As the website is updated details such as the names of referees, full list of rules etc we will update this thread.

In the meantime we will continue our search for competitors and the organising of the event. Apologies if any replies are late in future on this thread as we need to focus more of our time on organising the event.

Advertisement