Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms license fee collection to be outsourced.

Options
  • 09-03-2009 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

And what becomes of the information? Who has access to the information?
    A few questions that should be asked.
    From the examiner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Meyer

This is effectively putting sensitive information out into the public domain, and is really unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Guys, this has been flagged for over a year now, and mentioned at least once or twice on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Maybe its something that will work, maybe we will be able to pay online, Maybe we will get a decent credit card type licence now.

I would be only slightly more nervous of a private company doing it instead of the guards, after all dont the brown envelopes come out each year with the stamp on it. We all go and line up to re new the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't know about a private company, I was under the impression that the Post Office was the envisaged solution; but if a private company was chosen, there would be advantages (faster to set up, faster to change, easier to try something new, etc). And yes, there are Data Protection issues, there always are - but if even the Gardai can't do it (remember the whoopsie last time?), I don't see why we shouldn't try something new for a while at least.

What does concern me is what sort of oversight&compliance issues will come up. Who monitors performance, what are the metrics (ie. is it customer service or operating costs!), and who's liable if your renewal is held up and you get asked for your licence in the meantime?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'll belive it when I see it..:rolleyes::)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement