Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license

Options
  • 09-03-2009 8:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,
    ok having a problem, theres a tenant in a house who's been there for about 10 years. she always buys a tv license and the other tenants pay their share of it. this year the two tenants are refusing to pay for it. they both have tv's in their rooms.
    Where does the one buying the license stand. How many tv's are covered by this license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

All tvs are covered by one license i believe. They should all pay their part. If they don't cough up. Perhaps you could just pay half as it is not fair on one tenant to pay all. It's either that or they'll probably move out and it'll be harder to find new tenants than pay the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I have never bought a tv license :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Back to the classroom you three- it's TV LICENCE not TV License!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Remember, if you have a colour TV, you MUST have a colour TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Hi,
    ok having a problem, theres a tenant in a house who's been there for about 10 years. she always buys a tv license and the other tenants pay their share of it. this year the two tenants are refusing to pay for it. they both have tv's in their rooms.
    Where does the one buying the license stand. How many tv's are covered by this license?

How would they be treated if they didn't pay one of the utility bills? Make a complaint to the landlord, and it could be taken out of their deposit due to unpaid bills if/when they leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The tenant that pays phones the inspectors on the other two and declares that their licence does not cover the other tenants?

The licensing authorities did try to get people in a shared house to all have individual licences but afaik it was tested in court and you only need to have separate licences if there are separate entrances to the building. Not sure what happens if you make a statement that the licence is personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where does the one buying the license stand.
    Down on cash, but I can't see a straight forward way of making hte other two pay.
    How many tv's are covered by this license?
    All. Its per premises.

What does the lease say about making sure that bills, etc. are paid - can you use this to put pressure on the other two?

The tenant with the licence could tranfer the licence (and TV) elsewhere temporarily and report the other two to An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

Singer73 wrote: »
    Remember, if you have a colour TV, you MUST have a colour TV licence.

me quietly lowers colour to 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Hi,
    I encountered a similar situation when house-sharing in London years ago. One tenant tried to organise getting a TV Licence, but 3 other tenants refused. She and I didn't see why we should fork out £90 (as it was then) when the 3 in question hogged the only TV we had. So we didn't bother.
    Fast forward 3 months, my flatmate ( the one who wanted to get the Licence) had just arrived home from work when there was a knock on the door. It was the inspector. She couldn't even pretend there was no TV in the house ( the "perfect" excuse thought up by an offending housemate) as it could be seen from the sitting room window!
    Anyway, we ended up paying £120 fine, had to buy the £90 Licence and my poor housemate had a criminal record for a year. Pity she didn't give the name of one of her other housemates.
    Not sure how it is here, but I never wanted to find out so I've always had a licence. Hard to know what to do about your other flatmates. You are supposed to have a Licence for each TV set, maybe just pay for your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sorry, just saw Athtrasna's post and can't edit my previous post as I'm using safari browser and I can't 'reach' last paragraph to delete setence re requiring seperate TV Licence for each set.

• Advertisement
Advertisement