Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How important is the TLD for a website?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:03am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm starting a website based around a community of people with a common interest. It will start in Ireland but we may expand it worldwide if it works.

The domain i'd like is taken - the .com and .net anyway. I could get a .org or similar, but is it my imagination or are you starting off badly having a non top level domain name?

It seems you need a .com and if you don't you can suffer.

Commens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Personally I think not having a great domain is a huge disadvantage. Also, you'll never really be happy with mythirdchoicedomain.org.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

At least get the .ie name if the plan is to start in Ireland.

They're not expensive these days though you may need to register a business name for €25 if you don't have any other official claim to the name.

Of course get the .org too for a few dollars.

Is the name of the site such that you can't compromise it with adding a hyphen or another word to it in order to get a .com/.net?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've been looking at this myself recently, and have still to find a .com that is available. Though I have been looking at quite generic domain names, so that's to be expected.

Maybe you should look at a more "abstract" domain name that you can evolve as a brand, rather than one that immediately makes sense. I'm not explaining it too well, but think of the likes of Flickr or Bebo, as opposed to sharephotos.com or connected.com respectively.

Hyphenating is an option, but personally I don't like a domain name that you can't say easily. I don't think it's as easy to remember.

eoin wrote: »
    Hyphenating is an option

I dunno. I find hyphenated domains look a bit cheap. I can't think of single popular website which uses one.

Actually, watch-movies-links.net uses hyphens, so I guess it can work, depending on who your market it.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I dunno. I find hyphenated domains look a bit cheap. I can't think of single popular website which uses one..

Well, I did qualify that, saying I didn't particularly like it. I wouldn't like to say watch dash movies dash links dot net to someone.

• Advertisement

eoin wrote: »
    Well, I did qualify that, saying I didn't particularly like it.

Ah yes but if I quoted you fully I wouldn't have been able to have my little rant.

+1 to using quotes of out context. :)

Hmmm, the following domain is available: atdashdotcom.com - That could be fun to give out to people who you don't really want to email you.

Anyway, to get back OT - I still think a .com is required these days - it does still seem to be the default TLD that a lot of people try first.

But you're going to have to compromise; by paying a domain scalper to sell you the domain / to put in some hyphenation etc or to use a domain name that's not immediately obvious. Some people try and be clever by registering a partial domain name and using a sub-domain to complete the word, but I think that's way too hard for people to remember.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers for the responses.

What I was thinking of is spelling the word differently, like using a 'z' instead of an 's' at the end of the domain word.

An example is this site I heard of the other day: http://www.muziic.com

Zascar wrote: »

I don't really like that.

I'd rather have something in the domain which is memorable, like musicsomething.com, and then use the something in my logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Cheers for the responses.

What I was thinking of is spelling the word differently, like using a 'z' instead of an 's' at the end of the domain word.

Maybe its just me, but I can never take those seriously......not just for domain names, but for company names - e.g. "phones4u", etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Well for a "Web 2.0" type site aimed at the younger generation, they are very common and popular...

Yeah, it wouldn't bother me too much, especially if it's not for a corporate-style company. However, if you have to say "go to music.com, but with a z and two 'i's", it doesn't really roll off the tongue. It just sounds hard to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

I'm starting a website based around a community of people with a common interest.

I could get a .org or similar, but is it my imagination or are you starting off badly having a non top level domain name?

.org is a Top Level Domain, & this is exactly what site it is for (community/not-for-profit). I'd see it as much more reputable than the likes of .biz - amnesty.org for example, or wikipedia.org.

I'd prefer a .org with an easy to remember name than a difficult .com - esp if the .com is just being held by someone. How many people are just going to google it anyway? Obviously if you're website if is going to be called amazon.org, you're going to be in trouble, but if you're competing for search rankings versus a holding site, greatmusic.org should be fine & IMO, would be better than mUzak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JoeRow

I have done some domain flipping before and from what i have learnt I would say get the .ie first. Don't settle for .org if they are taken then so too is your branding. its like setting up micdonalds instead of macdonalds.

Someone mentioned Hyphens Personally i would stay away from them if you're pursuing a community based website

Stay a way from Z's instead of S's. More often than not it will come across spammy.

Advertisement