Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long distance calls from Aus

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

just wanted to get an idea of who people are using for calls to Ireland. We've moved back here, and I wanted to set my folks up with someone cheap.

They have Skype, but being of the older generation, they want to use something like a calling card, and avoid the new-fangled technology.

i used to use one of the cards you get from 7-eleven called talk Tomato, it was extremely cheap, but they then changed it and started taking 60c off my balance PER DAY....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Unlimited calls to landlines in Ireland from Skype for a few dollars a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

I just ring direct using our Optus landline. I'd make on average about 2-3 hour long calls to Ireland per month.
    Each of those calls normally cost me about $10. I know I could probably use Skype etc, but everytime I have done so, it's a blo*dy nightmare, crappy line, delays at one end etc.. I'd rather just pay the $20 or $30 (which I think is Ok value TBH) for an easy life...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you ahve a landline you should buy a phone card

I had one ages ago, and since local calls were free, I rang the local number and paid 2.5c a minute to call a landline in ireland

cheap as chips (3hrs would work out at 4.5 a month)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mobooo

Never had a single problem with skype and phone cards are more expensive i think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I <3 Skype.

I've been living away from Ireland for nearly seven or eight years now (lost count). I've always used Skype to talk to my folks. I speak to them two or three times a week, for around an hour each time. (Sometimes less, sometimes more depending what's going on.) I started using Skype in England, so my calls are still charged in sterling, but the euro rate is 2 cents per minute. There's also a 5c connection fee for each call, so a one hour call costs E1.25.

I have a good DSL internet connection and my call quality is *always* excellent. It's far, far better than a call from my home landline back to Ireland. Plus, if I use the landline, because I'm rural Vic, my calls are charged twice - they're routed through Melbourne, so I pay for an hour's trunk call to Melbourne plus an hour's international call to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I also <3 skype. Couldn't live without it.

What's even better is that my parents, aunt and best mates all got web cams when I moved so we can talk for free. I skype my parents every Sunday night for an hour and we've never paid a penny for it (apart from the broadband, of course). My parents lived in the US for a few years after they were first married. They couldn't afford to call home much so wrote a lot of letters. I guess times have changed a good bit!

My OH's father told us about a really cheap way to call home. It's a website that you use to call but it calls their landline from your landline and is very cheap. I can't remember the name but next time he calls I'll get it from him and post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Finally got around to installing Skype this morning after two years and wow!

Spent over an hour chattin to my best mate who's in Chicago. Clear as day with the mic and web cam on the laptop. Can't believe it costs sweet FA!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

My folks are in their mid 70s, so no hope of them tackling a 'puter, so I call Skype to landline, and the quality is still far, far better than landlines here.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well if you have a family who won't use a PC try

http://www.internetcalls.com/

Like Skype you can make calls form PC 2 Pc but also can make calls from it to landlines n mobiles.

You just need to say add 5$ onto your account on it which you never really use .

Give it a try let me know what you think .

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Ozeire wrote: »
    Well if you have a family who won't use a PC try

http://www.internetcalls.com/

Like Skype you can make calls form PC 2 Pc but also can make calls from it to landlines n mobiles.

You just need to say add 5$ onto your account on it which you never really use .

Give it a try let me know what you think .

Al

Skype allows calls to landlines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

iinet.com.au voip + internet package on naked DSL.

20 mins costs me about 1$

Advertisement