Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Getting Stressed

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to get really stressed out about the Leaving Cert. It's worrying, because I never get stressed about any exams, so the fact that I am stressed is alarming me.

I was out all of last week, so I missed a good bit of work for the French and Irish orals, as well as English poetry. I was trying to keep up to date through another student, but there's only so much you can achieve this way.

I've been having some personal problems at home as well, so that isn't helping things.

I'm not looking for sympathy. I just want to know how to catch up on all the work I missed without burning out, and how to get my stress levels down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

You've still loads of time til the exams so theres no need to be worrying. Missing a few days isnt going to do too much damage to your study. Just get back into it because if you stress over it you'll spend time worrying about stress instead of studying.
    Change who you support for a while to reduce your stress levels by a bit. (Im assuming your a Pool fan from your user name)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    I just want to know how to catch up on all the work I missed without burning out, and how to get my stress levels down.

To avoid burn out start eating energy food like pasta and rice. Lots of carbohydrates in them.

To get your stress levels down, put down something on your CAO that you is easier to get in terms of 'expected' points. Maybe even a course that will lead onto the course you really want. With the lower stress levels you will end up doing better.

Also start to feel you are achieving something by doing past questions. Write the answers from the book first in your own words and then do it again a day or two later with the book closed. Don't get disheartened if you can't remember even half of it. It's more than you knew 3 days earlier. Remember it's good to find out now what you don't know because you have plenty of time to rectify it.

Once you have a fixed timetable and can see you are moving forward you feel better.

If things aren't going well at home, there's helplines you can ring just for a chat. I don't know the names or numbers but maybe someone else here does. Talking won't change things at home but it may relieve the build up of stress. If you relieve the stress you can get more information to stay in your head.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

I heard smoking weed reduces you stress levels and make you relaxed
    so that the shot for the leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I heard it can also demotivate you and get you arrested, so maybe that's not the best idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Goldshlager

1005_towelie_typing_memoirs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    I heard smoking weed reduces you stress levels and make you relaxed
    so that the shot for the leaving

I heard it has a number of side effects so probably not the best thing to do before studying for exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Sit down and give yourself a break and think about the following.

1) You've been preparing for the Leaving Cert for the last 2 years, you should be well capable of dealing with it.
    2) Other people have gone through the Leaving Cert in the past and look back and see that it was far less of a deal than people made it out to be.
    3) Even if things go badly there are always other options.
    4) There are other people you can relate to, all in the same boat.
    5) The Leaving Cert does not define your career even though people might say it does.

If you are feeling stressed take a few minutes out, and just think about these things, and calm yourself down. I usually did this through prayer, but if you could find some way of meditation it might be good also.

Also, if you have a few friends studying the same subjects with you at school you might try and arrange to study together with them a few times. You wouldn't believe how much easier it is studying when you have someone else that you can consult with, and another person to alleviate your worries.

I just think you need to take it a bit more slowly, and try some new things. The calmer you are the better you will perform, and try to take a real interest in some of your subjects as that helps a lot too. :)

I'd also recommend you stay away from alcohol for a good while before the LC too as they can have an impact on memory retention and things like that. I wouldn't listen to any advice advising you to take cannabis, there is enough danger with that any time let alone before exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Thanks to everyone who gave some imput. I'm beginning to feel a bit better about the situation.

Advertisement