Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing a Washing Machine

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Anyone know a good appliance repairman/handy man in the area? Washing Machine in my apartment in Ongar was stopped spinning/draining. Think the motor may be gone on it.

Any names/numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Have you checked the filter?
    Our machine has stopped spinning/draining several times in it's life, and on each occassion, the cleaning out of the filter has fixed the problem (and netted me plenty of coins and guitar picks to boot!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

+1 on the filter.
    it should be easy enough to acess and clean it out.A couple of coins or the capsule of a wine bottle are usually the culprits in my house.
    If you ge no joy from the filter PM me and i'll give ya a number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

This guy is great. He's fixed loads of domestic appliances over the years for me
    Khosro 8207562. He's in Huntstown

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Gabsdot wrote: »
    This guy is great. He's fixed loads of domestic appliances over the years for me
    Khosro 8207562. He's in Huntstown

Boards to the rescue! Used him last night. €60 to fix my washing machine, came round after I got home from work. Very nice guy, highly recommended.

Other details from his business card:

Khosro Khandanian
    087 6392448

His business card says he does all kitchen appliances, installations and repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My washing machine has also stopped spinning today. It made some very weird noises and ground to a halt. Ill give that guy mentioned above a call tomorrow, but where would i go looking for the filter first to see if thats the prob?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Depends on the model really. most would have the filter at the bottom on the front of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

If the machine doesn't have a small door at the bottom (like a fuel door on a car) it will be at the back. There should be a removable panel down the bottom.

Remove that and look for the sump coming off the plastic drum.

That sump will also connect to the pump.

If its a Hotpoint its more likely a blockage in that sump rather than the pump. Maybe a sock/pair of knickers or the worst offender is the Colour Catchers.

Feel free to ask anything else.....I am an ex Service Eng for one of the big manufacturers.

Dub XV wrote: »

Feel free to ask anything else.....I am an ex Service Eng for one of the big manufacturers.
    Thanks a million. The drum is completely frozen, and wont even turn when i manually try to do it. Motor? Ill give the filter thing a go this evening and see how that goes. In the last 6mths ive had more trouble with my kitchen appliances than i can count :(

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

anniehoo wrote: »
    Thanks a million. The drum is completely frozen, and wont even turn when i manually try to do it. Motor? Ill give the filter thing a go this evening and see how that goes. In the last 6mths ive had more trouble with my kitchen appliances than i can count :(

Ouch! Sounds like the bearings in the drum. Could also be a seized motor. Most of the big brands have a 5 year parts warranty meaning you will only pay for the callout and they gaurantee the work. Your problem sounds serious enough.

Lumen wrote: »
    Boards to the rescue! Used him last night. €60 to fix my washing machine, came round after I got home from work. Very nice guy, highly recommended.

Other details from his business card:

Khosro Khandanian
    087 6392448

His business card says he does all kitchen appliances, installations and repairs.
    Can vouch for this guy. Although he couldnt fix my washing machine :( he was so nice and gave me a tenner back for having to wait for him (he lost the piece of paper with my address on it). He took 9 (yep 9 :eek:) coins and a curtain hook out of my filter, the "belt" had come off but the drum is still stuck. Probably bearings or something along those lines. The machine is less than 4 years old and used max twice a week! Crazy! Anyway its fcuked basically! I need a fridge freezer too ....so if anyone finds anyone of these fallin off the back of lorries soon will ya PM me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Continent Simian

Just had Khosro Khandanian (01 820 7562, 087 6392448) out to look at a problem with my washing machine.

Embarrassingly, it looks like the problem was with me. Khosro very politely didn't phrase it like that, charged me for the call out this time, but will not charge me for any future call outs for this problem. Really can't say fairer than that.

Seems like an honest chap and I would definitely use him again.

By the way, he mentioned he didn't just do washing machines. He works with "everything in the kitchen".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

anniehoo wrote: »
    Can vouch for this guy. Although he couldnt fix my washing machine :( he was so nice and gave me a tenner back for having to wait for him (he lost the piece of paper with my address on it). He took 9 (yep 9 :eek:) coins and a curtain hook out of my filter, the "belt" had come off but the drum is still stuck. Probably bearings or something along those lines. The machine is less than 4 years old and used max twice a week! Crazy! Anyway its fcuked basically! I need a fridge freezer too ....

Check out the consumer issues forum.
    They talk a lot about EU law giving you the right to get an item that broke- fixed or replaced if within a reasonable expected lifetime for that type of product. Washing machines etc being maybe 5 to 7 years??

link

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Davorin

Does anybody have an up to date contact number for a washing machine repairman in D15

Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Davorin wrote: »
    Does anybody have an up to date contact number for a washing machine repairman in D15

Thanks,
    Dave

I would recommend Frank Murphy in Clonsilla, 0872586758. I had him out recently to fix mine.

http://appliancerepairs.goldenpages.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Straylight

My washing machine has just died on me and I need someone to look at it. Can anyone tell me if the recommendations in this thread are still valid, or if they have someone else they can recommend. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

My post above yours is still valid for Frank Murphy. Im only in D15 for a few years however my other half is from here and says he is well known around blanch for fixing washing machines.

Cheers, I'll give him a call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Might sound silly but did you check the fuse?

fletch wrote: »
    Might sound silly but did you check the fuse?

Not silly at all, that's actually what I was hoping it was as there's no power in the machine at all. Unfortunately it wasn't that, and that's the limit of my electrical capabilities. :)

Advertisement