Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should i be able to connect to office NAS drive from home ?

• 09-03-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I set up a NAS drive in the office and it works, I have it connected to the HUB and it's setup on 4 other PC's,

I've an IP address on it, When i use an FTP program in the office it works fine and i can access it,

But when I'm at home it wont connect to it,

Would this be a Firewall problem ? As when i'm in the office the PC's i'm on in there are not affected by the firewall ?

Any ideas would be great
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the IP you are using to connect inside the office would be the drives local IP.

you need to find out the NAS drives global IP and set up port forwarding on the router, also you say hub? you'll need the NAS device to be connected to a router of some sort somewhere, whether it be that the hub the NAS is connected to is connected to the router etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How are you connecting to the office network - are you using a vpn?
    Unless you are using a vpn then you would have to set up an incoming port forward on your office DSL router to forward on any external connections to the NAS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Hi,

The office networt works like this
    It's an Eircom line in, With Eircom router, from that i've a line going into a 8 port HUB, I've 4 PC connected to the HUB a Network printer and now this NAS drive,

I'll have to look up the port forwarding, I've done it before with my own on connection,

So do i have to open a port on the NAS drive, Then open that port via port forwarding?
    Sorry guys I'm new to NAS drives, Just trying to help a mate out with his office

Thanks for the help so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

If you want to have a secure connection (which is advisable) you will need a VPN solution.

Sounds like you have no cisco gear at the moment.
    You could use Windows Server RRAS, FeeBSD or Ubuntu to configure such a system.

On the other hand if you need something done I can help you out ... but I can advise too if you want to get it together yourself.

Cheers,

iRock

Also advisable to replace that hub with a switch... but thats your decision.

• Advertisement

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi,

The office networt works like this
    It's an Eircom line in, With Eircom router, from that i've a line going into a 8 port HUB, I've 4 PC connected to the HUB a Network printer and now this NAS drive,

I'll have to look up the port forwarding, I've done it before with my own on connection,

So do i have to open a port on the NAS drive, Then open that port via port forwarding?
    Sorry guys I'm new to NAS drives, Just trying to help a mate out with his office

Thanks for the help so far

www.portforward.com

Sorry for the 3 consecutive posts, just thought you might find that useful. :)

Hi iRock,

Thanks for the reply, I dont have an Cisco stuff,

How much would all that cost ? See i'm just doing this for a mate... see i know a bit about computers and design etc,,, and he asked if I could set this up.. I said i would try lol

what cisco gear would i need ?
    Would i install Ubuntu on the NAS drive?

NeVeR wrote: »
    Hi iRock,

Thanks for the reply, I dont have an Cisco stuff,

How much would all that cost ? See i'm just doing this for a mate... see i know a bit about computers and design etc,,, and he asked if I could set this up.. I said i would try lol

what cisco gear would i need ?
    Would i install Ubuntu on the NAS drive?

Sorry I should rephrase that. You don't NEED any cisco gear at all. I just assumed (wrongly) that you had some.

No, You need to install PC/Server with Ubuntu. I would have suggested something like this: http://pigtail.net/nicholas/pptp/

You DO NOT change anything on the NAS.

There are a number of routers that will provide VPN functionality either if you want to spend money but to be honest the VPN server is just as good an idea IMO. But thats totally up to you.

The downside of the Ubuntu thing is that there is a learning curve and it take some reading.

Windows Server 2003 has a feature called RRAS that can do the job too (just a thought if you happen to have a copy already).

Other than that I'd google :)

thanks iRock,

So if i install the software on the PC, How will he be able to connect to the NAS drive ?

Maybe i should just tell him it cant be done lol.

Advertisement