Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a 74 year old Pensioner with a Nokia PC Suite Problem

• 09-03-2009 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I desperately am in need of help. I am a 74 year old pensioner living in Ireland. I recently purchased a Nokia N70-1 Phone because I was told it is the best value for Euro. I am not well. I have a serious Heart problem and Must take certain medications at certain times and days. I have to change a medical/medicine Patch every three (3) days. Unfortunately the N70-1 Calendar does not have a function for repeating an entry every 72 hours. Lucky for me MS Office 2007 Outlook Does offer this option. Where my phone only offers Daily, Weekly, Fortnight, Monthly and Yearly, MS Office Outlook has the ability to repeat an event/appointment every 3 days if desired. I have made an event in my Outlook Calendar and repeated it every three days (that I MUST change my patch or I am crippled). When I connected my N70-1 to Nokia PC Suite (Version 7.1.18.0 and my Phone has the absolute latest firmware/software installed) I can see that the events/entries from my phone are transferred to My Outlook Calendar, But I am unable to figure out how to transfer the entries in My Outlook Calendar into My Phone's Calendar. I've tried the help and all it does is tells me to refresh. I do and I get the message. "Synchronization Completes 0 entries have been updated". I am seriously in trouble if I am not able to do this. I have been adding a entry every three (3) days in my phone calendar, Day by Day. But my Hand gets in severe pain after two or three weeks of individual entries. Hence this Post asking more knowledgeable people if they can help and instruct me how to transfer the entries in My Outlook onto my N70-1 Mobile Phone. Oh Yes. I was also told by the sales person my phone has a GPS imbedded so I can download maps and not get lost when I travel. I have not found the way of turning it on or even seeing the options. I appreciate any and all assistance you may afford this Old Man with. Thank in advance from the bottom of my heart.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Can I make a suggestion?

Forget about Nokia PC suite. Create an account at gmail.com. In google calender enter all your reminders. Google will send you a text message for each item you have entered.

Much much easier to setup. Alternatively look for some alarm programs at http://www.symbian-freeware.com/tag-alarm.html

Regards,
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

I can't tell you how to set up PC Suite in the way you want because I long ago gave up on using it due to its many shortcomings. I think the advice offered above, to create a Gmail account and use the Google calendar function that comes with it, is the best thing to do.

One of the advantages of the Google calendar is that you can access it to view or update when away from your home computer. You can also set it up to sync with the calendar on your Nokia using the free version of Goosync from http://www.goosync.com/

With respect to your question about Maps, you can download the Nokia Maps application from here http://europe.nokia.com/explore-services/maps/download You will need to select the version for your phone, then transfer it from your computer to the phone.

Good though the Nokia maps function is, once again Google have a better offering (which, for my experience, uses the built in GPS connection on my Nokia E90 better than Nokia's Maps application). You can download it directly to your phone from http://google.com/gmm/

Remember, to use either map function you also need an active data connection for your phone. This is because the images that make up each map are sent to the phone as it needs them (since storing them on the phone would take up too much space). Make sure that your plan covers the data connection, as using pay as you go data services can get expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Can I make a suggestion?

Forget about Nokia PC suite. Create an account at gmail.com. In google calender enter all your reminders. Google will send you a text message for each item you have entered.

Much much easier to setup. Alternatively look for some alarm programs at http://www.symbian-freeware.com/tag-alarm.html

Regards,
    Stephen

Is the Google sms reminder facility available to Irish users? I don't have that option in my gCalendar.

OP (or should that be OAP :D), it's possible that your sync is only set up to run one way. If you check the properties of your sync via PC suite you should have the option to sync both ways so updates you make in Outlook get carried over to your phone and updates you make on your phone get carried over to Outlook.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ill look into the PC Suite problem you have in a litte bit and get back to you.

With regards to maps - you usually have to pay for 1) Using the GPS (data charges by your network) and 2) Downloading the voice over (a person who will speak to you, telling you when to turn and where to go etc). However, the basics are free. There should be a folder in your menu called "GPS" and in there click "Maps". I would have assumed it was pre-installed on your phone.

I do recommend Google Maps, but there is no voice offer option (that I am aware of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Is the Google sms reminder facility available to Irish users? I don't have that option in my gCalendar.

Yep I've had it for ages now. Certainly at least a year maybe two? Just go settings -> mobile and enter your number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement