Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mad m wrote: »
    After some Deep_Thought I couldn’t resist. :)

Ooooo... eeeerrrr... missus

Mine says hello

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK not a watch, but... kinda along the lines of Hitemfrank's "oldie". I've been keeping my eyes out for an original strap(s) for my Trench watches and a few weeks back grabbed this off ebay for 20 quid.

502125.JPG

Made for a 10 mm strap, silver hallmarked for London 1914/15, even the prong is hallmarked. Will have to be stitched on, no springbars here. :) Which will probably mean the resulting strap will cost more than my watches originally did. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And I own a watch again. Thanks to the gentlemen brothers pm. and Rob :)

502133.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

New strap = a new watch!

Omega NATO’s are expensive but they are a class apart from any other I have tried.

2267-EDA2-6450-4-AB8-BAE5-7-D8424-FF4531.jpg

32588137-15-CB-41-F5-B4-C0-5720-D41265-FE.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

893bet wrote: »
    Omega NATO’s are expensive but they are a class apart from any other I have tried.

I just googled that. They're charging 155 euro for a nato strap on their website!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

pjdarcy wrote: »
    I just googled that. They're charging 155 euro for a nato strap on their website!!

Not cheap! I went second hand so paid 110. Like anything branded when you buy second hand alot of the depreciation hit has been taken. Easily sell on and recoup most of the €€ if needed (as it’s worn in rotation, wear will be minimum).

I keep meaning to buy some premium NATO’s from non branded sellers. NATO’s in the 20-30 euro range to see how they stack up; they are probably close to Omega standard (or even better)!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

893bet wrote: »
    New strap = a new watch!

Omega NATO’s are expensive but they are a class apart from any other I have tried

That watch is absolutely stunning. I'm doing all in my power to justify a purchase in the near future!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Resistance is futile... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

That watch is absolutely stunning. I'm doing all in my power to justify a purchase in the near future!

I agree it's a lovely watch :) I'm not a fan of the nato look..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

njburke wrote: »
    Theres a world of information on accutrons out there, makes for great reading if you like to anorak a watch.
    A very interesting design, real innovation in the 1960s. How they made that index wheel (2 mm dia, 40 um thick, 10um depth on the teeth) in 1960s.
    Mybulova.com has catalogues and adverts for accutrons from the '60s. If its good enough for an X-15 test pilot its good enough for me. LBJ gave one to Kruschev, who in turn gave it to his crack team of reverse engineers and voila we have the Slava Transistor watch line.

There is a retired watchmaker who has a video on youtube made in 80s on how to service them.

Be wary of the spaceviews, many are conversions of dialed watches into spaceviews. Prices vary, I paid £138 for the one above, servicing will be another $130 plus postage, so all in I should have a serviced birth year accutron for €300. The accutron divers like the Deep Sea and Snorkel or Astronaut are €700+

The 218 movement in mine hacks and turns off the oscillator, so I can pull the stem if I'm not wearing it, which I like. I believe older 214s don't have this feature. Replacement coils are $130 for a 214 but only $35 for a 218.

So I did a thing...

502369.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Got a bond style nato strap for the vostok I won in the give away thread and I'm loving it!

LVzSPUhl.jpg

Thanks again Birneybau!

The Bulova is lovely

The Bulova is lovely

It was shipped this morning so I'll get some pics up when it gets here.

There's a lovely looking maroon to black fade on the dial I'm watching at the minute too. I'll not bid on that one but interested to see how much it goes for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Got a bond style nato strap for the vostok I won in the give away thread and I'm loving it!

Thanks again Birneybau!

No worries, hope you threw the original strap out, right hair puller!

Casio Duro

IMG-20200211-125726.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm sure the skilled photography and editing is flattering but nevertheless that casio is lovely!

fat bloke wrote: »
    I'm sure the skilled photography and editing is flattering but nevertheless that casio is lovely!

Aye, the editing helps a lot in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

hitemfrank wrote: »

Is that the older model with the black dial and blue bezel? Seems hard get. I've been tempted by the all black one a few times. Looks to be a new all blue one

Makes a great beater watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

502559.jpg

Ryath wrote: »
    Is that the older model with the black dial and blue bezel? Seems hard get. I've been tempted by the all black one a few times. Looks to be a new all blue one

It was a black dial black bezel ones. I just swapped out the bezel insert as I couldn't find the blue version anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ryath wrote: »
    You hear about people in the states getting the black MDV106 for $30 or $40 in Walmart. Unreal value.

It's more like €70 or €80 over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

You hear about people in the states getting the black MDV106 for $30 or $40 in Walmart. Unreal value.

It's more like €70 or €80 over here.

It's gone up a good bit in price used to just be £40 to 45 on amazon uk it's £90 now! Can get it from amazon .com for $68 ~€61 with duty paid.

I got mine for £60 from amazon last June ish after it was up around £80 before that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Cienciano wrote: »
    Very nice. Did you just buy it?

Thanks, Got it off eBay a few years back and hasn’t been worn much, took it out today to give it a wind and put it up on adverts but I changed my mind after a few minutes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

It was shipped this morning so I'll get some pics up when it gets here.

There's a lovely looking maroon to black fade on the dial I'm watching at the minute too. I'll not bid on that one but interested to see how much it goes for.

I was in the horology section of the Deutschs museum this afternoon , they had a small display of wristwatches and sure enough it had an accutron spaceview in a cushion case. I put mine up to my ear for the hum.

Lovely looking watch, wear well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Bought a few cheap watches in my time but I'm truly blown away by the build quality of these two I got recently. Click the picture for prices

502581.jpg

502582.jpg

I've bought watches based on these reviews and I think these one are higher quality.

How do the 'diamonds' on the second one actually look?

There was a Cadisen I was thinking of picking up ages ago (after I gave my dad my other Cadisen) that had one of those diamonds at 12 and it really put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

How do the 'diamonds' on the second one actually look?

If anything they are more subdued than the picture .. if you look at reviews of the watches some will have pictures of them on the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Got this as a Christmas present from the in-laws and wearing it today. Not something I would have bought myself, but fun piece for Casual Friday!

xpBFNX0l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I actually like the look of that :)

EDIT: and it is actually wood..thats brilliant

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Got this as a Christmas present from the in-laws and wearing it today. Not something I would have bought myself, but fun piece for Casual Friday!

The day indicator is cool, don't think I've seen that method before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

This arrived yesterday.

502872.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Out of a modest enough selection, this one tends to see a lot of wrist time.....
    502873.jpg

Very grown up! I like the 24h one hand complication. Why doesn't it say Vostok on the dial anywhere though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

tobdom wrote: »
    Out of a modest enough selection, this one tends to see a lot of wrist time.....
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=502873&d=1581695030

Oh I like that. I think on the black and orange striped nato strap from Getkota would be really be my cuppa tea. ....your tempting me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Daemonic wrote: »
    This arrived yesterday.

SNIP

That I like!
    Between that and kinglizards GMTs I'm drooling :)

It seems to have been a day of deliveries!

My HKEd Bund V3 has finally arrived! :D
    I bloody love it, it's absolutely mint!
    Also came with a lovely 5 slot travel roll too, that was an unexpected bonus.

502890.jpg

Very very nice B. Looks the absolute spit of the Heuer. Which was a Leonidas design(they bought the company to get it), copied from a standard for pilots watches going back to WW2.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very very nice B. Looks the absolute spit of the Heuer. Which was a Leonidas design(they bought the company to get it), copied from a standard for pilots watches going back to WW2.

As you know from my drooling after your Heuer ;)
    It's been a grail of mine for quite a while.
    I've only had this for 2 hrs and it's already convinced me that should the opportunity ever come my way to pick one up for a reasonable price I'll definitely buy 1!

The watch wears an awful lot smaller than I expected it too aswell!
    Another thing you were right about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

unkel wrote: »
    Very grown up! I like the 24h one hand complication. Why doesn't it say Vostok on the dial anywhere though?
    Most of the Amfibia (as opposed to Amphibian) range omit Vostok from the dial design.
    They are kind of the 'expensive' Vostoks and definitely feel a little more luxurious. Even the stock strap is comfortable which is almost unheard of on a Vostok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

banie01 wrote: »
    It seems to have been a day of deliveries!

My HKEd Bund V3 has finally arrived! :D
    I bloody love it, it's absolutely mint!
    Also came with a lovely 5 slot travel roll too, that was an unexpected bonus.

That's an absolutely gorgeous looking watch, for any money. Love it. - While I waited for Google to do it's thing I fully expected an asking of a couple of grand.

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's an absolutely gorgeous looking watch, for any money. Love it. - While I waited for Google to do it's thing I fully expected an asking of a couple of grand.

One of the users here (Thirdfox) put me onto HKed as I was looking for an affordable Bund homage.

I was in the pre-order group placed my order in November with expected delivery in late January.

Pre-order price was $430, delivery was slightly delayed but I'm going to hold Corona virus against Ed ;).

The strap, the watch case and finishing and the overall action of the movement are all far in excess of what I expected.

I'm happy to share any info I have, and indeed if there is a particular pic or angle anyone is after let me know and I'll try get it.

Honestly cannot see much else being on my wrist for the next few months.
    I smile every time I look at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Got this off Unkle, an original wave dial ETA Seamaster 300 professional. Think this is my favorite dive watch. I had the ceramic dial version...but somehow that was not as iconic. On a blue rubber strap just for variety, a good weekend watch/gym watch. Happy to have one again, and happy to have this version...the definitive version.

20200215-162634.jpg

banie01 wrote: »
    As you know from my drooling after your Heuer ;)
    It's been a grail of mine for quite a while.
    I've only had this for 2 hrs and it's already convinced me that should the opportunity ever come my way to pick one up for a reasonable price I'll definitely buy 1!

The watch wears an awful lot smaller than I expected it too aswell!
    Another thing you were right about ;)

I was browsing the Sinn website and see they have a similar watch now.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/158.htm

My main reason for being there was to ogle the limited run of the 104

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/104_St_Sa_A_B_E.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Got this off Unkle, an original wave dial ETA Seamaster 300 professional. Think this is my favorite dive watch. I had the ceramic dial version...but somehow that was not as iconic. On a blue rubber strap just for variety, a good weekend watch/gym watch. Happy to have one again, and happy to have this version...the definitive version.

Well wear, mate, that is an absolute cracker.

That rubber fits to perfection. I take it a genuine Omega one?

Well wear!

(now what will I get? :p)

• Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Seiko Sunday anyone? First time posting in this particular thread, so thought I'd start with my favourite Seiko Kinetic. I can't for the life of me remember where I got it, so I don't have the exact model number (this SMY151P1 is the closest I can find) - I must dig out the original box.

503023.jpg

[Edit] Found it, it's an SMY153P1 I got from Creation Watches a couple of years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement