Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Got this 'grains of rice' bracelet for my Alpinist from Uncle Seiko in the UK for £60 + £10 p&p.
    Was going to get a Strapcode one but their $86 turned into $145 by the time it got to the 'checkout'.

510541.JPG

510542.JPG

510543.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

That looks lovely. I miss my alpinist a bit. You might have got stung for import tax on the strapcode so dome well. Also I found the clasp on the strapcode very bulky..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Yeah, like that a lot. Good choice.

That looks lovely. I miss my alpinist a bit. You might have got stung for import tax on the strapcode so dome well. Also I found the clasp on the strapcode very bulky..

What pushed up the price with Strapcode was $25 for express delivery which was the only option they offered, plus $37 for 'tax'. I don't know where they got that amount and whether it was for VAT or something else. Seemed too much to be simply to pre-pay VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

As a former ship's radio officer this type of clock face is very familiar, although the 0 & 30 markers were normally coloured differently as they denoted 'silence periods' for telephony rather than telegraphy with the 15 & 45 minute markers.

is this still being done ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

is this still being done ?

It's nearly 40 years since I was a radio officer so I'm not the guy to ask.I

However I doubt there's much telegraphy (Morse code) used today, it was on the way out even in the 1980s.
    Telephony (voice) is still around and small boat owners may be familiar with vhf channel 16. Ch 16 is the calling and distress channel and you aren't supposed to use it during the telephony silence periods, except in cases of emergency. Not a lot of boat owners know this however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What pushed up the price with Strapcode was $25 for express delivery which was the only option they offered, plus $37 for 'tax'. I don't know where they got that amount and whether it was for VAT or something else. Seemed too much to be simply to pre-pay VAT.

VAT is calculated on the item and shipping combined cost - so 23% of say $60 could be 14 dollars, then add in agent fee of clearing customs on your behalf - could be 10-15 euro - even then there's still be bit of price discrepancy.

One option I like is AddressPal with An Post - if US/UK retailer offers free shipping you can ship to AP address (works like parcemotel but it's the official An Post version) - €15.99 from US to your door, €3.99(?) from UK if you want to collect from local post office (€6.50 to your door).

Works especially well when US retailer only has the crazy 60 dollar shipping fee (for a 30 dollar item) and free US shipping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's Damasko Donnerstag, time for some German watches;) just back from it's first service, the DA44.

510619.jpg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Package from oxocube arrived in the post a few minutes ago

510620.jpg

Every bit as comfortable as I hoped it would be. Great, simple design. Thanks a million, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

unkel wrote: »
    Package from oxocube arrived in the post a few minutes ago

Every bit as comfortable as I hoped it would be. Great, simple design. Thanks a million, man!

No problem. Better on your wrist than in a drawer :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

nrbVnP6.jpg

UA2te7B.jpg

A current favourite of mine, a Tissell Type A 43mm. Paid less than €200 for this and I love it for its simplicity. The hands have a beautiful blue hue that you cant see in these photos.
    Maybe one day I'll splash out on a Laco but for now I'm happy out with this. The only negative I could say was the strap was a nasty shade of light brown when I got it, but a bit of olive oil rubbed into it improved it greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

Full set:
    009 Pepsi - the casual watch.
    007 Black - a little more formal.
    011 Orange - the why act your age watch.

IMG-20200423-210612-694.jpg

Arabic day wheel? I don't think I've ever seen that before on a Seiko (or any other watch actually) - very cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Cassius99 wrote: »
    snip

snip

A current favourite of mine, a Tissell Type A 43mm. Paid less than €200 for this and I love it for its simplicity. The hands have a beautiful blue hue that you cant see in these photos.
    Maybe one day I'll splash out on a Laco but for now I'm happy out with this. The only negative I could say was the strap was a nasty shade of light brown when I got it, but a bit of olive oil rubbed into it improved it greatly.

This is on my list as one of my next watches and has been since I got my Tisell 9015 Explorer. What is holding me back is the problem of finding the time to wear everything that I have in my watch box as is.

Full set:
    009 Pepsi - the casual watch.
    007 Black - a little more formal.
    011 Orange - the why act your age watch.

Arguably the best value for money watches there are. In terms of purchasing price, value they retain, functionality, easy of reselling. Nice triplets :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Today one of my favourites

510742.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

Laco Bell X-1 recently purchased from carrick76.

LM-c7m_Wu4yUAhobTehxvoGdcIsyzmlmHukI0nPGlr3MOfoRkfbrRVCtV_1qZq6qwOqjYsc3HlEqovutUmj0RQs5LJJqcG4xozodJg5gFNsalgxlrz5QkjQIiqg2QJpy37FhSuFaz0dM2EXBp10V_zAh0q7PLpschgM9l5eQPrFGWIYid0p69tDl88ht1S65r0WQ-q-w2lPBF8YthyH4y6XpVB76CmqSXWiYm1JicN_mzLhTH7t0dA-Z-cphj67LJoPjkuHUCxAf3OXywLaRU9JWsqVY_IZcx1IhzbAIwpkOT2MynGQiX54tGxTGPxFrk3YhFjA4VFsGftH9IM9D9lp-G1UkTuaYT7txK-hWljwrGVzzX0wZRTXPIf2-AqPoJVypTI0WEDYRGnmak90l9hcWuZdoLf8G4q0elrc8XXufNObj0lL6k72kHzvvWkAJ8ad1UoSJJqvDbVSkUEdc-OJdb0aIrreE6xAV1GehZxCAcIyClH6lYmheuV11HvrDssjGh-5sGxhd3OlSfdAjFK7P7jwonI5ofbAHTsL3TITKBWOpcvhTXGK2oQU4_R5SbASD6i37AriijOon9x9vm0rZLuTVcp_KXoCDXTh8MUZbsVsJWK2MtKW6sspFrxU-W_V1qdbN9GCWEN7Io0AmpG-2HjxjoEayJQIf_ODqrmSylTzNGkl3RhFRT1py=w370-h657-no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jh79 wrote: »

That is a peach jh79, absolutely beautiful.
    Delighted that you and Carrick got over the line on that one :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jh79 wrote: »
    Very cool J. Love the aircraft clock look.

JH earlier. Doing the supermarket run

maxresdefault.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

New addition

wkeXgfy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Ugh, jealous AF, it's lovely.

Very dark green, it's almost black in most lights. When the sun gets it you can see the green. Strap is brown, but again very dark. Looks black in most indoor light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Ugh, jealous AF, it's lovely.

Accidentally read it as "ugly AF"

Was like that's a bit harsh :pac:

Accidentally read it as "ugly AF"

Was like that's a bit harsh :pac:

Ha, I read it as that too at first

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Just had this dropped off by UPS picked it up as a beater when I can travel again for work.

510849.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

A lovely Sunny Seiko Saturday :)

qRjvWu6.jpg

Your lawn seems to missing all the lovely dandelions in bloom that I have in my garden presently :D we have the same mower though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Out and about today so Seiko solar getting a charge

510865.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wibbs wrote: »

Gives a whole new meaning to "dropping off" shopping :P:D

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Your lawn seems to missing all the lovely dandelions in bloom that I have in my garden presently :D we have the same mower though!

I think I have that mower too. Was also cutting the grass today wearing my Seiko

As for the dandelions, you have to get rid of them manually, dig them out root and all. It's the only way. Do you not see that big fat dandelion in his picture though? You can cut the grass short, but that doesn't do the trick :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wibbs wrote: »

Gives a whole new meaning to "dropping off" shopping :P:D

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

This thing hasn't left my side since I got it a few weeks ago. It's been a long time since I was this happy with a watch. I tried a few straps on it for sh!ts and giggles but it's back on the bracelet.
    I ordered another Barton band (I'm not a rep i promise) just for the odd change up.

20200411-145712.jpg
    20200423-150219.jpg
    20200409-193356.jpg
    20200409-192852.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Doesn’t work on either of the brown straps for me. Bracelet prob the pick of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

893bet wrote: »
    Doesn’t work on either of the brown straps for me. Bracelet prob the pick of the bunch.

Its probably used as a GMT but do divers ever look right on leather? I'm not sure. Bracelet or rubber always works best in my opinion. NATO sometimes works but I'm just not a NATO guy. Lovely watch though. It really pops on the bracelet shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Fab, lovely watch
    makes me want a GMT, I have that itch and Sparrowcar just made it more pressing :-)
    Bracelet looks the finest by the way

That presage from a day or so back, really gorgeous too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Yep all the straps came straight back off it. The bracelet is perfect for it, I'm going to get a jubilee as I think that's the best look for it overall.

Have a sail cloth grey on the way for it from Barton, if it doesn't work out then I'll use it on my speedy. Another plus for the 39mm steinhart's is the 20mm lugs rather than 22mm on the larger version.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Have a sail cloth grey on the way for it from Barton

Thanks for reminding me. I've still never had a sail cloth strap and I've never had a Barton. So I now have a sail cloth from Barton on the way too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me. I've still never had a sail cloth strap and I've never had a Barton. So I now have a sail cloth from Barton on the way too :D

Sparrowcar is now an “influencer” t’would seem :P

Testing out the shock protection ;) - handled electric hedgecutter earlier without issues.

@unkel thanks for the dandelion advice but as you can see I've gone "full native" with my meadow/garden :D

[510976.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sminkypinky

Oris Divers 65 40mm.

Looks black but it's blue:

20200329-142937.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Testing out the shock protection ;) - handled electric hedgecutter earlier without issues.

@unkel thanks for the dandelion advice but as you can see I've gone "full native" with my meadow/garden :D

Me doing my garden :D

Like your honest picture,mine is the same. Tried weedkiller on the grass, bit of a mistake leaving loads of dead spots :o . Tried pulling them out,found it best to cut grass short,unfortunately creates other issues like moss :rolleyes:

Me doing my garden :D

Like your honest picture,mine is the same. Tried weedkiller on the grass, bit of a mistake leaving loads of dead spots :o . Tried pulling them out,found it best to cut grass short,unfortunately creates other issues like moss :rolleyes:

Haha remember - it's only "weeds" if you don't want it in your garden. My wife keeps the front pretty "manicured" but I made a conscious decision to have a "wild" garden in the back - it's nice in summer with all the birds, bees and insects around - I like to think of it as doing my bit for the environment (that's the line I'm going with anyway!) The back garden is kinda like a thunderdome for plants - survival of the fittest :eek: (wild garlic > dandelions btw - and delicious in Chinese dumplings also :D ): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_ursinum

I was actually looking at replacing the grass with an eco-friendly moss - saves on the mowing and nice and soft to walk on barefoot also. I'm not the most green-fingered though (if the dandelions don't give that away immediately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Not nearly as extravagant or expensive as most, if not all, of the collections here but sure, you have to start somewhere!

Got the Fossil for my 30th and love it. Strap fell to pieces after a short enough time and hasn't been worn much because of it so I had a new one delivered during the week and love it.

The MVMT was for the craic really. Cost about $100. Heard a few friends say they were good for the price. I don't really agree. The strap and crown look and feel incredibly cheap but I do like the simple dial and the red on black.

The Longines I got from Sparrowcar a few weeks ago and although I haven't managed to sort the battery yet it's still keeping perfect time, and I love it! :)

Still on the look out for a nice Tag but I keep moving between various styles... I'll wait till I can get into a shop and try a few on, see what I like then.

Picked up a cheap watch box too.

94615342_10213256803853844_5170818695110328320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=BMDfNP2qi4cAX-qmLyB&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=288d36c615194883550af9925e67f349&oe=5EC9B0A2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Thanks to Cassius99 for the inspiration, my NATO straps arrived today.

Not high value stuff but it’s start :)

A942-B32-B-8-C2-C-418-A-98-A4-BF1-BE8602-D8-C.jpg

D2684-D90-A0-AA-420-F-A519-9-A8-BE1-AF5018.jpg

F6-BD06-EF-4-DF1-4361-9273-08038-D0-B79-EA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Thanks to Cassius99 for the inspiration, my NATO straps arrived today.

Not high value stuff but it’s start :)

Value, schmalue! ;)

nice watches, price is irrelevant along as you like them :)
    Well wear, and welcome to the awful world of "I need another 1"

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

sparrowcar wrote: »
    This thing hasn't left my side since I got it a few weeks ago. It's been a long time since I was this happy with a watch. I tried a few straps on it for sh!ts and giggles but it's back on the bracelet.

Sparrow, do you mind me asking where you got the brown leather rally style strap???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Nice cheap everyday watch. It’s chunky but every now and again I like to wear something chunky

511193.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Definetely the most sanitized g-shock in south eastern Ireland tonight:)
    511221.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Homer wrote: »
    Sparrowcar is now an “influencer” t’would seem :P

Seems to be as I have two Barton sail cloths winging their way to me for my Seiko and Sinn

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement