Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

This is the other page.

512292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

You Moonwatch fans might find this interesting. It's from the National Geographic magazine Dec. 1973, a two page Omega advertisement.

attachmentid=512288&stc=1&d=1589029479[/IMG]

Those other ones really haven't aged well; horrendous looking. They certainly went bold in the 70s with design. The Gerald Genta stuff still looks fantastic but you see a lot of weird looking case designs that really haven't stood the test of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I like them TBH. Though I like modernist design. I like the optimism of it from the time. These days for me anyway, there's a little too much focus on the safe, the traditional.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I quite like that Flightmaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It'd be the flightmaster and the ploprof for me.

Those chunky assed divers just catch my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Wibbs wrote: »
    These days for me anyway, there's a little too much focus on the safe, the traditional.

That's certainly a fair comment. The trend at the moment seems to be to go back to 1950s heritage watches. That was a great era though.

A lot of brands seem to be caught up with brand identity, or a familiar design language is probably what I mean. Take Rolex as an example as they are the ultimate play it safe brand; the Millgaus is probably their wildest piece by their standards and is the second most hated watch they have after the Cellini I'd say (personally I really like it...... The Millgaus that is). The problem is the enthusiasts of the brands themselves are the ones that discourage them from being experimental. The end result is lots of very safe samey sort of watches. What's the most recent watch that will be considered an "icon"? You'd be going back a while to find it even though everyone is churning out some beautiful watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

redlead wrote: »
    Those other ones really haven't aged well; horrendous looking. They certainly went bold in the 70s with design. The Gerald Genta stuff still looks fantastic but you see a lot of weird looking case designs that really haven't stood the test of time.

Love both on the right hand side. Lets hope i don't have the opportunity to buy, or it could get costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

That's certainly a fair comment. The trend at the moment seems to be to go back to 1950s heritage watches. That was a great era though.

I agree with your points and wibbs statement, but it is a nuanced point. Milgauss BTW is misunderstood. Its Steel sport rolex so it cannot be got, although its less in demand than some other models. OP, Datejust, and a few others are less desirable. The milgauss retails 10-15 years old, very close to its current retail which unheard of in other brands. The problem with it was that it was the first of the bubble rolexs. On relaunch of the modern Milgauss, there was a waiting list and they sold initially for twice retail, this quickly dissipated and they got a reputation as the dog of the line cause a lot of people (scumbag flippers) were burned. The GV glass versions have always sold well, and the secondary market is strong with them.

Rolex take plenty of risks, Rainbow Daytona, skydweller, the hulk is a green watch for god sake. Where they dont take risks is mostly in the aspiration level affordable watches. Rolex is a mid tier watch in watch terms, and as much as spending 5k on a useless timekeeping device is mad, its small fries to some. If you are like me and that sort of money is a considered and long term purchase, then you generally dont want to take a risk that nobody will want it you you need to liquidate your money or that it will be a biblically slow sell. Some rapper spending 100k on a diamond Rolex is less likely to care. Also these classic designs are classic for a reason, they look damn good. Everyone copies them, everyone wants them, and that in itself degrades the original.

I love the oddballs, I try put some of personality into all my watches but without backing myself into a corner, the proplof above would be a cool watch to have, but thats a 6k watch and a limited resale market (and honestly is a flipping lump on the wrist. When you have to part with your own dosh on it, you have second thoughts. Messing around with inexpensive watches does not pose such a risk. its easy be a maverick playing fantasy watch collecting.

I agree watch design is fairly safe and reserved, but watch collecting is a safe and reserved hobby for mostly gentlemen. We are a traditional and cautious bunch. I hate to harp on watch values, but with most people it is a strong infulence. I would love to spend 20k on a perpetual calander JLC and instantly loose 5-10k but I simply cannot afford it. Being an oddball in the expensive watch market is a really rich mans game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I love them! Especially the Flightmaster.

I'm not sure if it's been posted here yet, but great to see Steve Carell wearing a Moonwatch for Space Force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Being an oddball in the expensive watch market is a really rich mans game.

Never a truer word said.

(I see you didn’t let the speedy money rest in the account long.....)

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Never a truer word said.

(I see you didn’t let the speedy money rest in the account long.....)

The planets aligned and there was a good trade oppertunity, when does that exact model come up, the only one of those that I like. I will post on here, when I get it, but it aint no oddball.

The planets aligned and there was a good trade oppertunity, when does that exact model come up, the only one of those that I like. I will post on here, when I get it, but it aint no oddball.

Agree. Head and shoulders above current variant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree watch design is fairly safe and reserved, but watch collecting is a safe and reserved hobby for mostly gentlemen. We are a traditional and cautious bunch. I hate to harp on watch values, but with most people it is a strong infulence. I would love to spend 20k on a perpetual calander JLC and instantly loose 5-10k but I simply cannot afford it. Being an oddball in the expensive watch market is a really rich mans game.
    True and there's also a big difference between those buying new(or current) and the vintage crowd. Although there's been some overlap since the Hodinkee effect took over, they're a very different animal when it comes to "values" and what they look for, so their angle on things tends to be very different too. Most of the "traditional and cautious gentleman bunch" generally look at the vintage weirdos askance. Often for good reasons. :D

Now of course you do have the vintage Rolex buyers, but they're generally more an offshoot of the current Rolex buyers with extra cash, or older guys who've been collecting for decades back to times when you couldn't give vintage Daytonas away(no really). Of the rest of the vintage market value is looked at differently and it's less about values and status. For a start if you buy well(which is the biggie) you almost always get your money back at sale time. If you bought well even five years ago you're likely to get a "profit" of some degree on top. Never mind that for the price of some new steel sports Rolex, you'd be in the market for some very nice historically and horologically important pieces from a few marques, so there's that. Brand recognition is lesser too. If I turned up to a board meeting wearing a 1950's Tornek Rayville dive watch the vast majority of those there would be going "a what?". They're very different markets, so those funky 70's type watches will look quite different depending on the type of watch guy you are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Jesus Wibbs, the vintage watch market is a nightmare to get into. As a Rolex collector I love the look of vintage models (cause its the look of modern models too :) ), problem is unless you have almost encyclopedic knowledge you can get burned bad, and in this "Hodinkee" age that can be a significant burn. The differences between a collectable watch and a ordinary model can be the smallest thing, the font of a number, the writing on the dial, the type of lume. These differences are easy to fake on a genuine vintage watch. You really need deep knowledge, making it hard to get into, as the beginner is easy prey. Its the same with vintage Seiko and all the frankenwatches out there. Again it comes down to the level of risk you are willing to accept.

Jesus Wibbs, the vintage watch market is a nightmare to get into.
    Oh a complete nightmare, or a pleasure, if you've been dropped on your head as a kid. :D The level of detail you have to know about a particular model, in a particular year, never mind brands and the like is high and it requires a lot of research. The web has made that so much more easy, though harder in a way too as you have to sift the crap from the correct to get your eye on on those details. EG at this stage I can tell if the cathedral hands have been replaced on Longines WW1 Trench watches(and most have, especially the minute hand) and a fair idea on most other brands from the time.

This one for example. Nice watch(overpriced), but both hands are replacements and I'd be dubious about the subseconds hand too.

That's the level of insanity required. :D Though I do enjoy that aspect of it and can absorb a crap load of info quickly enough and you do get your eye in over the years. But you have to repeat that for every brand and genre and type and age of vintage watch you want to collect. Even original catalogues are not always a good judge. Dealers are a minefield and that's where most of the recent vintage folks go and rely upon. It requires a lot more investment of time to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A modest little Seiko today.

I like it though, it has a rare-ish telemeter scale - handy for thundery days like this :)

512326.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had never until now, seen or heard of a telemeter chronograph.

Everyday is a learning day.

Lovely piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Dev1234

Have it a couple of weeks now. Absolutely love it. Worn it everyday since and find myself staring at it and smiling most days. Delighted I finally pulled the trigger and looking forward to many years ahead with it (unless I lose it somewhere!!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=512379&d=1589065513

(Not sure why the image is sideways - I'm new to this embedding malarkey!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Beautiful watch. Way outside my price range unfortunately. Maybe some day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is it wrote: »
    Beautiful watch. Way outside my price range unfortunately. Maybe some day :)

I remember my first proper Swiss automatic watch. Saw it on this forum first. It was towards the end of the big recession, which had hit me hard but I was coming out of it. I was delighted with it. And with myself! It cost €210 brand new incl. shipping. A beautiful great watch does not have to be expensive.

I've been slowly working my way through a lot of watches since though. It's a disease. Be careful. I'm telling ya! :p

unkel wrote: »
    I remember my first proper Swiss automatic watch. Saw it on this forum first. It was towards the end of the big recession, which had hit me hard but I was coming out of it. I was delighted with it. And with myself! It cost €210 brand new incl. shipping. A beautiful great watch does not have to be expensive.

I've been slowly working my way through a lot of watches since though. It's a disease. Be careful. I'm telling ya! :p

I had a PM written to you earlier about the Tag and I backed out. I need to be careful :D

Oh no, don't be careful, spend your monies on my watch right now! :p

But in seriousness, a very good deal is available if I can get the cash for it before tomorrow mid afternoon. The reason for that? I'm buying another watch...

I really like the look of it. As someone who's new to watches, what's the craic with getting them polished up? Like the bezel and strap? Decent DIY job or costly professional job? Can take to PM if you'd prefer.

I honestly don't know anything about watch polishing. Maybe someone else on here can advise.

Personally I prefer watches (and cars, and even people!) that are not mint :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Dev1234 - did you buy the Speedmaster new? Any deals to be had?

Also what size is your wrist if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing it might be a while before you can walk into a shop and try a watch on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Portuguese today don't wear it as much these days still like new and 12 years old

Effs8hm.jpg

Must get it services some time jaysus

Only watch I've had long enough that it would be an issue

Still keeps good time

Cyrus wrote: »

Still keeps good time

Its a looker, how does it wear compared to your GMT?

Its a looker, how does it wear compared to your GMT?

It's as thin as I'd like a watch and wears big as the bezel is small so it's all face

But all in all its very wearable , nice with a shirt / suit but not so delicate that you can't wear casually !

41mm I think

meant to say

You are welcome to try it on any time if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Cyrus wrote: »

Still keeps good time

Can be cheaper (over long run) to get a service sooner than later (although if watch not worn then less of an issue). It makes it more likely that only oiling will be necessary vs replacement of wheels etc.

Though there are plenty of proponents for "service only when timing goes wrong" - I guess the same arguments can be made for car servicing - some do it annually, some only do it when things go wrong. No NCT for watches :D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Can be cheaper (over long run) to get a service sooner than later (although if watch not worn then less of an issue). It makes it more likely that only oiling will be necessary vs replacement of wheels etc.

Though there are plenty of proponents for "service only when timing goes wrong" - I guess the same arguments can be made for car servicing - some do it annually, some only do it when things go wrong. No NCT for watches :D

After 12 years I'm sure it'll be a pants down job but it'll go back to richemont so would have been anyway !

New watch today. I traded my Omega Speedmaster and then as if by fate, this watch came up for sale.

I am not a big submariner fan usually, except for the vintage models. I am however not willing to get involved in vintage watches.

Mostly I dont like the new version, while the ceramic bezel is lovely, the super-case is not for me (I moved on a GMT2 because of it). Too thick and too high off the wrist. The dial is also cluttered with the bigger indices, hands and writing.

So this comes up a 14060m....the new movement but with only two lines of text, the small case (still 40mm but wear very tidy, low profile) and no date. Cleanest dial you can get (rehaut is not even engraved), perfect symmetry and a nod to the vintage (size, drilled lugs etc). Traded my Seamaster on this also, so two omegas out and another Rolex in. Is it unimaginative...yes. But its class and absolutely nails the dive watch in my collection. Deal I got was reasonable, I am safe enough in it.

Cons: Hollow end links and a rattly bracelet as normal for the time (2002 Y serial). The worlds most forged watch. Crown on the clasp is a little overpolished and has lost definition somewhat. No date subs are the flavour of the month with youtubers both successful and unsuccessful. At least I will be able to keep mine.

20200510-114500-1.jpg

20200510-111801.jpg

20200510-113946.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Am considering doing something I can't find on the inter web - putting a two-tone 16233 Datejust on a bund... In the meantime, I pulled out the Bark & Jack nato (they're good) - looks ok to me. Although nothing beats the bracelet.

X2MBOQo.jpg

Am considering doing something I can't find on the inter web - putting a two-tone 16233 Datejust on a bund... In the meantime, I pulled out the Bark & Jack nato (they're good) - looks ok to me. Although nothing beats the bracelet.

A Bund is a brave move for any watch, and with the small case size you might look like a gladiator with a leather bracelet, and a S&M aficionado. Still if works for you, do it.

Very true. I was going to look for a bund that goes around the watch rather than one of the large ones that are more like a leather cuff. Also, some bunds come in different sizes so I've found one for 36mm watches.

See the first image here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f222/bunds-make-smaller-watches-more-fun-wearable-show-yours-if-you-have-them-3768906.html

A Bund is a brave move for any watch, and with the small case size you might look like a gladiator with a leather bracelet, and a S&M aficionado. Still if works for you, do it.

SNIP

seriously leave it on the bracelet it looks class :cool:

They certainly a unconventional choice, but seem to be for retro aesthetic reasons more than function (looks positively cumbersome). I suppose Brad Pitt, or Paul Newman or some skinny rockstar can pull them off, but those handsome sods can pull off anything. Those of us blessed with more conventional features need to be sure we dont appear to be trying too hard.

I am only doing a bit of research here now, and there is a few funny threads about them....TZ.co.uk forums had one amusing thread that described bunds as the watch equivalent as wearing "socks with sandals"

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?372882-In-defense-of-bund-straps

https://timeandtidewatches.com/not-on-my-watch-please-stop-with-the-bund-strap/

Agree with Cyrus, the Datejust on a bracelet is a classic, tried, tested, and its long run would attest that its perfect just the way it is.

The lads in those threads do give it some thought:

"Wearing a bund strap is like slipping your grandma a length. Sturdy, comfortable but ultimately, wrong on every level."

They certainly a unconventional choice, but seem to be for retro aesthetic reasons more than function (looks positively cumbersome). I suppose Brad Pitt, or Paul Newman or some skinny rockstar can pull them off, but those handsome sods can pull off anything. Those of us blessed with more conventional features need to be sure we dont appear to be trying too hard.

I am only doing a bit of research here now, and there is a few funny threads about them....TZ.co.uk forums had one amusing thread that described bunds as the watch equivalent as wearing "socks with sandals"

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?372882-In-defense-of-bund-straps

https://timeandtidewatches.com/not-on-my-watch-please-stop-with-the-bund-strap/

Agree with Cyrus, the Datejust on a bracelet is a classic, tried, tested, and its long run would attest that its perfect just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Dev1234

Dev1234 - did you buy the Speedmaster new? Any deals to be had?

Also what size is your wrist if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing it might be a while before you can walk into a shop and try a watch on

Bought it new on Chrono24. Took a while to get it delivered so had to be patient. I bought it in early January and it was delivered mid March. Probably better deals to be had now I'd suspect.

My wrist is around 6 inches (probably a joke in there somewhere). Had to get a couple of links removed as a result.

• Advertisement

"Wearing a bund strap is like slipping your grandma a length. Sturdy, comfortable but ultimately, wrong on every level."

That degenerated quickly :eek: :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Someone tell the Japanese they've been wearing sandals wrong then... :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabi

https://www.google.com/search?q=japanese+socks+sandals&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk02R8-ip5-xPIZPDs1uFeLXQn6SnrQ:1589122453225&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinw9C6xqnpAhV1SBUIHVbmB5QQ_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1920&bih=966

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is it wrote: »
    I really like the look of it. As someone who's new to watches, what's the craic with getting them polished up? Like the bezel and strap? Decent DIY job or costly professional job? Can take to PM if you'd prefer.

Depends on the watch. As in the cost. Obviously a €200 polish on a €100 watch isn't worth it. And how deep the scratches are and the finish required. Professional job would involve taking the movement and glass out and using a series of compounds, rough to smooth on a bench polisher. I bought a load of sandpaper grades and a few compounds on the net to give it a go for something to try for the fun. No bench polisher, I just do it by hand. Try it on something junk. Some people use handheld tools like a dremel but it's not ideal for starters as it concentrates pressure on too small an area.
    Going too hard can remove the finish edge of a watch. If you want to to just freshen up an old cheap watch yourself with minimum effort, get some like a cape cod cloth on ebay.

If it's a high end watch definitely don't do it yourself

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Someone tell the Japanese they've been wearing sandals wrong then... :D

Lots of things the Japanese can pull off that us Europeans cannot.

nintchdbpict000408128301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

So this comes up a 14060m....the new movement but with only two lines of text, the small case (still 40mm but wear very tidy, low profile) and no date. Cleanest dial you can get (rehaut is not even engraved), perfect symmetry and a nod to the vintage (size, drilled lugs etc).

Cracker of a watch. One of my biggest selling regrets if not the biggest!!

Old school and better than the current models IMHO. Love the flat profile. The rattles give it a character.

Local or international deal?

I need a beater.

Forgot to take this off after dinner.

B5310-B2-F-D4-EC-4-A9-F-BAB8-EA42-D94-BF089.jpg

(I have taken it off now obviously, would be concerned a spring bar would put under pressure lugging timber).

893bet wrote: »
    I need a beater.

Forgot to take this off after dinner.

(I have taken it off now obviously, would be concerned a spring bar would put under pressure lugging timber).

Put on the 5167 sure thats wrecked already.......:D
    Gavin1 wrote: »

Local or international deal?

Local, guy who trades on adverts all the time, good guy.

Put on the 5167 sure thats wrecked already.......:D

Can’t bring myself to wear that anymore.

I've been eyeing up this watch on various adverts.ie ads for a long time. And now it's mine :)

512477.jpg

I'm not normally a bracelet man, but this one is more comfortable than any other I have worn. By some margin. I think I will keep it on.

• Advertisement

Really nice, well wear :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement