Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

All very friendly in here today :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And nuked.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

That was so fast it was hardly seen Wibbs.

Who ever it was will be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

So this comes up a 14060m....the new movement but with only two lines of text, the small case (still 40mm but wear very tidy, low profile) and no date. Cleanest dial you can get (rehaut is not even engraved), perfect symmetry and a nod to the vintage (size, drilled lugs etc). Traded my Seamaster on this also, so two omegas out and another Rolex in. Is it unimaginative...yes. But its class and absolutely nails the dive watch in my collection. Deal I got was reasonable, I am safe enough in it.

Gorgeous - I think that is my favorite Sub model. Enjoy!

Loads of trading going on at the moment by the looks of things!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From the fancy to the ah here.. :D

My 80's French Mortima with in house quartz. By far the most accurate and well made watch they ever produced. With a click bezel and screwdown crown to boot. :eek:

512482.jpg

The 70's vintage Phoenix G-10 strap is probably worth more than the watch. :D Ah sure sentimental reasons, and it's crazy accurate. Around a second or two per month. I doubt it's "100% Etanche" mind you...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Vostok mod on today

7c3ee02f23ba51c7db42577c7475fcdf.jpg

I may move this on soon so I can get more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm beginning to feel the odd man out here for being the only one not getting a new Rolex through the door this week :-(

Congrats gents, two lovely watches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

893bet wrote: »
    I need a beater.

Forgot to take this off after dinner.

(I have taken it off now obviously, would be concerned a spring bar would put under pressure lugging timber).

Such a great colour combo the orange and blue, looks great

Cienciano wrote: »
    Such a great colour combo the orange and blue, looks great

Blue?

Blue?

Hold on, is that not a blue dial? It looks blue in the photo. Might be the way the light is catching it

• Advertisement

Nope she is a black one. Light catches it funny sometimes. The AR coating is not the best IMO.

It’s is a lovely watch. One I am mentally toying with selling though!

One thing that kinda wrinkles my nose B and interests the hell outa me as far as history goes with Diver's watches like your Vostok and my (fake diver's*) Mortima is when the hour hand is the one with the fancier treatment. Even the Rolex Subs still have this, and lord knows they have more than ample actual diving history going on. Name a famous scuba guy or enterprise and a Rolex was more often than not strapped to their wrists.

This was pretty common in the early days, but when pro and sport diving really took off in the late 60's early 70's, the pro spec Divers actual tool watches, the Doxas, Omega Proplofs et al, had the minute hand the stand out, because that's the one that keeps you safe and not sleeping with the fishes(and the seconds hand to see it's still feckin running :D), the hour hand is about as useful as a date feature on an actual dive watch.

Omega PP.

Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200m-10-720x480.jpg

You can also see this in my crappy pic of my early 70's Longines Diver.

512500.jpg

Because of my usual crappiness in taking a photo it's washed out to feck and barely legible and at a daft angle, but what parts of the watch face stand out? The minute and seconds hand(both fluorescent and with tritium lume and everything else important is polished to a mirror finish to catch any light going) and the timing ring on the bezel.

A few years back in a mate's gaff, I got chatting with a mate of his who is an actual pro diver(man, the tales he wove) and I mentioned Diver watches(he was wearing a fancy dive computery type watch, a Suunto IIRC, though may have been a Seiko? Which he rated in a big way) and he was interested to see the vintage ones I had. So a while later I showed him. He told me the above watch would be the only one outa the bunch that he would actually use if he was gun to his head stuck without his dive computer. And for the reasons above**.

*though to be fair the cheap kid's watch pin pallet "SuperDatamatic" :D one I got new as a kid in the late 70's never let water in, and I tried.

** He actually wanted to buy it for the history part of his craft. I did source him one down the line, only the all orange version. I reckoned he paid over the odds, but pro divers I discovered are not in the low pay bracket by any means, so not a jot did he care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

One I am mentally toying with selling though!

Once you post it, its as good and done. They are a great watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    One thing that kinda wrinkles my nose B and interests the hell outa me as far as history goes with Diver's watches like your Vostok and my (fake diver's*) Mortima is when the hour hand is the one with the fancier treatment. Even the Rolex Subs still have this, and lord knows they have more than ample actual diving history going on. Name a famous scuba guy or enterprise and a Rolex was more often than not strapped to their wrists.

This was pretty common in the early days, but when pro and sport diving really took off in the late 60's early 70's, the pro spec Divers actual tool watches, the Doxas, Omega Proplofs et al, had the minute hand the stand out, because that's the one that keeps you safe and not sleeping with the fishes(and the seconds hand to see it's still feckin running :D), the hour hand is about as useful as a date feature on an actual dive watch.

Omega PP.

Because of my usual crappiness in taking a photo it's washed out to feck and barely legible and at a daft angle, but what parts of the watch face stand out? The minute and seconds hand(both fluorescent and with tritium lume and everything else important is polished to a mirror finish to catch any light going) and the timing ring on the bezel.

A few years back in a mate's gaff, I got chatting with a mate of his who is an actual pro diver(man, the tales he wove) and I mentioned Diver watches(he was wearing a fancy dive computery type watch, a Suunto IIRC, though may have been a Seiko? Which he rated in a big way) and he was interested to see the vintage ones I had. So a while later I showed him. He told me the above watch would be the only one outa the bunch that he would actually use if he was gun to his head stuck without his dive computer. And for the reasons above**.

*though to be fair the cheap kid's watch pin pallet "SuperDatamatic" :D one I got new as a kid in the late 70's never let water in, and I tried.

** He actually wanted to buy it for the history part of his craft. I did source him one down the line, only the all orange version. I reckoned he paid over the odds, but pro divers I discovered are not in the low pay bracket by any means, so not a jot did he care.

You'll have to send him on a link to the Sólás Eclipse diver once that comes out ;) - it'll be as toolish as they come (while still having flourishes that don't affect diving mechanics and performance).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You'll have to send him on a link to the Sólás Eclipse diver once that comes out ;) - it'll be as toolish as they come (while still having flourishes that don't affect diving mechanics and performance).

Don't joke about that now TF...
    An actual Sólás diver even just approaching the quality, attention and effort that's being put into the starlight and I'll snap your arm off for one...

Especially as you have had a few in your time that would be quite decent, Pelagos and Kraken spring to mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cyrus wrote: »
    It's as thin as I'd like a watch and wears big as the bezel is small so it's all face

But all in all its very wearable , nice with a shirt / suit but not so delicate that you can't wear casually !

41mm I think

I have the black dial with silver subdials. Bought it back in 2006 when I was living in Hong Kong. Went into the dealer to buy the one with blued hands just like yours. That was 15% of retail but he offered me 37% off for the black/silver combo. I had a bit of an IWN thing for a while and bought a Big Pilot too.

banie01 wrote: »
    Don't joke about that now TF...
    An actual Sólás diver even just approaching the quality, attention and effort that's being put into the starlight and I'll snap your arm off for one...

Especially as you have had a few in your time that would be quite decent, Pelagos and Kraken spring to mind!

More than a few - divers were the majority of my watch collection before I expanded out into other types - the ones I've had or currently have include:

Vostok Amphibias - x2 (GMT and standard)
    Sea-Gull Sea Dragon King
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer
    Omega Seamaster
    Tudor Pelagos
    Hamtun H2
    Borealis Seahawk
    Citizen NY2300

And nope - definitely not kidding. Though of course concentrating on Starlight now but if (big if) that's successful then the next plan after that will be to offer even more customised elements in the next line of watches.

Here's me doing my PADI course out in Kerry:

attachment.php?attachmentid=801329&d=1345852740

attachment.php?attachmentid=801330&d=1345853003

attachment.php?attachmentid=801332&d=1345853109

For me a diver needs to be able to dive :) - but if the buyer wishes to be a desk-diver only then that's ok too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

class picture TF... not even office desk diving these days... argos computer home desk/sofa diving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Marcusm wrote: »
    I have the black dial with silver subdials. Bought it back in 2006 when I was living in Hong Kong. Went into the dealer to buy the one with blued hands just like yours. That was 15% of retail but he offered me 37% off for the black/silver combo. I had a bit of an IWN thing for a while and bought a Big Pilot too.

i have had a few, various pilot chronos, a top gun, few ingys,

i love the BP but i know its too big for me, still hanker after one.

Here's a snapshot from a happier time - diving in the Icarian sea off Turkey (with the Tudor Pelagos). I try to "battle test" all my divers - no matter if they cost 50 euro or 3000 euro. If I had an aquanaut I'd be taking it diving too - no diving princesses for me :D

Even managed to convince MsThirdfox to come join me under the waves (with proper supervision of course) - the Turks are a great bunch of lads - no PADI qualification? No problem, they'll still take you down with supervision.

The plane was 28m below the surface by the way.

512536.jpg

512537.jpg

512535.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

512554.jpg

Posting the Timex the other day made me realise I hadn't worn another watch in almost four and a half months so I've resolved to have a bit more variety and broke out this Orient Mako XL which I bought from Birneybau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Posting the Timex the other day made me realise I hadn't worn another watch in almost four and a half months so I've resolved to have a bit more variety and broke out this Orient Mako XL which I bought from Birneybau.

Suits you sir. I won't pretend to know how good a dive watch it is :pac: but it's a decent watch at the price, new or second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@Thirdfox.
    Great to see watches in their natural habitat........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

This fella arrived about a month ago. Christopher Ward C3 Morgan.

image.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

For my wife this time.. we were watching the Thomas crown affair last night and she fancied the style watch pearse brosnan was wearing...a jlc reverso.

Much cheaper alternative..

Seiko sup250 solar quartz

71o-mi48-Gd-L-AC-UL1500.jpg
    free image hosting

Interesting article on brosnans watches

https://quillandpad.com/2016/08/08/off-screen-watches-brosnan-pierce-brosnan/

Gas how they had to debrand the jlc due to omega bond contract

Cheers,
    Mick

Pearse, though quiet about it(not a shock as he's a private normal non "celeb" man anyway) is a proper dyed in the wool watch guy nutcase and has been long before it was in fashion to be one. He's had quite the collection down the years and not so much the in fashion stuff either. Esoteric tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

And a good Meath man to boot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Got to take a quick dip in the sea last weekend

uss65zBl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Amphibia are super little watches. Ridiculous value for money too. You actually had a wee swim? Fair play, the water must still be fairly cold. Actually the thing I missed most during this lockdown is the sea. The dog loves going into the sea and it is very good for her too. And I will usually have had a wee dip in it myself by this time of the year.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Amphibia are super little watches. Ridiculous value for money too. You actually had a wee swim? Fair play, the water must still be fairly cold. Actually the thing I missed most during this lockdown is the sea. The dog loves going into the sea and it is very good for her too. And I will usually have had a wee dip in it myself by this time of the year.

I bought mine last winter for the implicit reason of using it as my swimming watch in the summer. That's a plan that hasn't exactly gone to plan :( It's now been repurposed as my house beater. Just doesn't seem right wearing a luxury piece when the highlight of the day is a trip from my bedroom to the kitchen in a tracksuit :cool: Great little watch, I love its quirkiness.

Real thinking outa the box from the Soviet watch designers at the time too. They didn't want to just steal Swiss patents for water resistance so came up with their own unique and in a few ways superior solution to water resistance. One way they're superior is the caseback seal. Unlike the thin O ring screwed down by a caseback type that the vast majority used and still use, they went for a flat wide seal that was held in place by a caseback that was then sealed by a screw ring that didn't directly contact the seal instead put steady pressure on it. You can reuse the seals in an Amphibia after a service, you can't do that with any others as they're distorted by the very act of closing the case. Then they used a variant on the Compressor case idea, where the pressure itself increases the sealing with depth. Even the crystal is involved in this. Very clever.

They are unique for sure. I even love the date wheel change on them. It seems like an extra mechanical sort of clunk at 7 minutes to midnight every night. It's noisier than it should be but I almost look forward to it haha Maybe that's just my one though, they say mechanical watches have souls ....

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Got to take a quick dip in the seam last weekend

Don't know if you ever saw 'The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou'?

https://iknowwatches.com/vostok-amphibia-zissou/

Works out at about €57

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/vostok-watch-amphibian-classic-420374s.html

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Birneybau wrote: »

I haven't seen it, but I enjoyed reading that. Looks like I am giving it the life it deserves! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Real thinking outa the box from the Soviet watch designers at the time too. They didn't want to just steal Swiss patents for water resistance so came up with their own unique and in a few ways superior solution to water resistance. One way they're superior is the caseback seal. Unlike the thin O ring screwed down by a caseback type that the vast majority used and still use, they went for a flat wide seal that was held in place by a caseback that was then sealed by a screw ring that didn't directly contact the seal instead put steady pressure on it. You can reuse the seals in an Amphibia after a service, you can't do that with any others as they're distorted by the very act of closing the case. Then they used a variant on the Compressor case idea, where the pressure itself increases the sealing with depth. Even the crystal is involved in this. Very clever.
    Wearing a 70's Amphibia today as it happens.

512691.jpg

• Advertisement

Daemonic wrote: »

]

That's really cool. What's interesting is the made in USSR is in English but the Vostok spelling is neither English nor Russian. Do you know where it was sold originally? Looks like a German spelling maybe? ... or maybe they just changed the English way of spelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Birneybau wrote: »

https://iknowwatches.com/vostok-amphibia-zissou/

Works out at about €57

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/vostok-watch-amphibian-classic-420374s.html

That's very tempting. I really should get an Vostok. Are the SE models much better than the Classic amphibian? As far as I can know they are just Meramon models with their own dials and apparently have better lume?

Ryath wrote: »
    That's very tempting. I really should get an Vostok. Are the SE models much better than the Classic amphibian? As far as I can know they are just Meramon models with their own dials and apparently have better lume?

I bought the very one Pablo is putting to use because I liked the film and it cost f' all but never got around to getting a new strap for it (original strap that came with it was the worst arm hair puller). Then got more watches and it basically went in the sock drawer. It's worth the money really.

I've no idea really about the rest.

Ryath wrote: »

The SE models should be stainless steel also (I got a 420SE previously) - typing that out I realise in my older age what 420 can also mean :D .

The original models had chrome plating on "base" metal I think.

And Meramon isn't some reseller or anything - I do believe he actually is part of Vostok watch factory - so buying directly from source.

Russian and Chinese watches were my bag for a long time :) - now onwards to Irish ones (even Irish Vostoks :eek::cool::pac:)

now onwards to Irish ones (even Irish Vostoks :eek::cool::pac:)

Now you've done it :pac: :pac: :P

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    That's really cool. What's interesting is the made in USSR is in English but the Vostok spelling is neither English nor Russian. Do you know where it was sold originally? Looks like a German spelling maybe? ... or maybe they just changed the English way of spelling?
    From what I've read online, the Cyrillic B character transliterates as W or V and the W was used on all Soviet era watches made for export.
    Dials with Vostok seem a more recent development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

The SE models should be stainless steel also (I got a 420SE previously) - typing that out I realise in my older age what 420 can also mean :D .

Going by the filter on the meramon site only some of the Classic ladies models have brass cases. Going by this thread on WUS the Classics have brass bezels and crowns. SE's have stainless and better straps.

Looks like SE's are harder buy there's only 6 in stock out of 59 models. Like the orange dialled one and it's not much dearer than a classic.
    https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-se/?sort=p.price&order=ASC&mfp=stock_status[7]

Lot more choice in the classics.
    https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/?mfp=19-case-material[Stainless%20Steel],stock_status[7]

I do like the Steve Zizzou model. I quite like Wes Anderson films I've seen nearly all of them but for some reason I've never got around to watching The Life Aquatic! Must right that.

I always thought the komandirskie had brass cases and the amphibian has SS.
    Either way, great watch and some serious selection there too to fit anyones taste.
    Vintage Russian watches can be a bit too quirky for me, but you do see the a percentage of really nice ones. For under €100 you can get some nice vintage stuff that still looks great.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I always thought the komandirskie had brass cases and the amphibian has SS.
    Either way, great watch and some serious selection there too to fit anyones taste.
    Vintage Russian watches can be a bit too quirky for me, but you do see the a percentage of really nice ones. For under €100 you can get some nice vintage stuff that still looks great.
    This was the case until quite recently when some Komandirskies got upgraded a little with automatic movements and SS cases.
    For Soviet vintage Vostoks, the brass/SS distinction was always the case I believe.

I've gone and bought another Vostok, 1-2 month's delivery. Oh well...

Daemonic wrote: »
    Oh nice, a swinging lugs version. Don't see those nearly as often. Worn on a few Soviet space missions too. Most money I've ever seen handed over for an Amphibia(over a thousand quid) was for a similar one, only the ultra rare military issued 300 metres rated example.

Oh nice, a swinging lugs version. Don't see those nearly as often. Worn on a few Soviet space missions too. Most money I've ever seen handed over for an Amphibia(over a thousand quid) was for a similar one, only the ultra rare military issued 300 metres rated example.
    I have the proper swing lugs somewhere, but the wire lugs allow a 22mm strap.
    A very commonly faked dial but you can tell the fakes as the lume isn't so obviously hand applied.

The navy issue ones in tin box are expensive, but an original Vostok Compressor is even more expensive, if you ever found one for sale. I think I've seen 2 in about 6 years of ebay trawling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Steinhart jubilee arrived, took 4 days from order to doorstep which is excellent during the present lockdowns.

Absolutely finishes this watch perfectly IMO.

20200512-133102.jpg
    20200512-133138.jpg
    20200512-133133.jpg
    free image hosting api

Well wear sparrowcar!

Lovely piece.

That’s a champagne watch for lemonade money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement