Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Wearing the 1963 on the supplied khaki NATO I found quite comfortable using the alternative single-threading method. Could quite happily have left it on it but the leather makes it look a bit more formal.

Thirdfox wrote: »

Though actually I see ultimately I put it on a two piece brown leather strap too. Seems like I'm not a huge fan of natos for comfort.

BTW I was in the merchant navy for 14 years and remember calling to Shanghai in the late 1970s. We were there about five days and got taken on the propaganda tour by CP officials. We visited a collective farm and a factory. Also the seamen's club had a great restaurant where you could eat multi-dish meals for about a fiver. It was in what looked like a gentlemen's club from the colonial period. The city was undeveloped at that time and little changed from pre-communist era. It was just after the 'gang of four' had been deposed and the party line we were fed constantly was to blame Mrs. Mao and her cronies for any failings.I
    We had been to Talin near the border with Korea just before which wasn't anything as interesting.
    Called to Hong Kong a good few times as well but that was the only time I was in mainland China.

Though actually I see ultimately I put it on a two piece brown leather strap too. Seems like I'm not a huge fan of natos for comfort.

BTW I was in the merchant navy for 14 years and remember calling to Shanghai in the late 1970s. We were there about five days and got taken on the propaganda tour by CP officials. We visited a collective farm and a factory. Also the seamen's club had a great restaurant where you could eat multi-dish meals for about a fiver. It was in what looked like a gentlemen's club from the colonial period. The city was undeveloped at that time and little changed from pre-communist era. It was just after the 'gang of four' had been deposed and the party line we were fed constantly was to blame Mrs. Mao and her cronies for any failings.
    We had been to Talin near the border with Korea just before which wasn't anything as interesting.
    Called to Hong Kong a good few times as well and once to Taiwan but that was the only time I was in mainland China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Funny you say that you thought Shanghai was undeveloped as it probably was one of the most developed cities in China at the time (the four occupying powers French, British, US and Germans had developed their own "concessions" in Shanghai pre WWII) - it's why if you go there you can see French/British/US/German architecture still in the area.

And you got ripped off majorly with that fiver meal :D - I'd say you could have probably fed yourself for a month (at least) for a fiver back then - even in 2007 I bought a new bicycle in Beijing for a fiver (1 gear only but hey fixies are hipster). I think my Father's monthly salary in the 80's was something like 3 euro.

Funny you say that you thought Shanghai was undeveloped as it probably was one of the most developed cities in China at the time (the four occupying powers French, British, US and Germans had developed their own "concessions" in Shanghai pre WWII) - it's why if you go there you can see French/British/US/German architecture still in the area.

And you got ripped off majorly with that fiver meal :D - I'd say you could have probably fed yourself for a month (at least) for a fiver back then - even in 2007 I bought a new bicycle in Beijing for a fiver (1 gear only but hey fixies are hipster). I think my Father's monthly salary in the 80's was something like 3 euro.

It seemed to me at the time to be relatively unchanged with few buildings that would have been considered of recent vintage. But many of the cities in Asia like Singapore were still recognisably colonial. The skyscrapers came later.

I may have been paying an inflated price by local standards but it still seemed great value compared to prices in HK , Singapore not to mention the UK. I think they called the colonial area the 'bund' and a trip ashore in Shanghai wasn't the same as say Singers because there was no 'night life' at least none we had access to, so it was the seamen's club or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I came in from outside and this was glowing away. Figured I'd take a pic

IMG-20200705-191315.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What a beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Been wearing my Seagull 1963 on a NATO all week but have it now on a two-piece.

That's a stunning watch, how much should I expect to pay for one of these?

dudeeile wrote: »

Watchunique (EU store), aliexpress and HKED all have 1963s available with different crystals (acrylic or sapphire) and designs.

Prices range from 180 to 220 euro I think.

• Advertisement

Like thirdfox posted there are various options depending on the dial, display caseback, etc. the price can vary from about €150 (excluding VAT) from Aliexpress, to €190 at Uniquewatches in Netherlands (inc. VAT) for basic without display or more for extras, to HKED in Hong Kong where you get his 'original design' dial for €270 excl. VAT.

Or you might get a 'pre-loved' one from someone here or adverts.ie for a bit less.
    Research the watch first so you know what you're getting, hand winding not self winding, history of watch, etc.

They're not available in bricks & mortar watch shops in Ireland.

Edit: Mine originally came from Watchunique and someone who didn't love the red writing on the display case back obviously polished it off with some polywatch paste.

Like thirdfox posted there are various options depending on the dial, display caseback, etc. the price can vary from about €150 (excluding VAT) from Aliexpress, to €190 at Uniquewatches in Netherlands (inc. VAT) for basic without display or more for extras, to HKED in Hong Kong where you get his 'original design' dial for €270 excl. VAT for €270.

Or you might get a 'pre-loved' one from someone here or adverts.ie for a bit less.
    Research the watch first so you know what you're getting, hand winding not self winding, history of watch, etc.

They're not available in bricks & mortar watch shops in Ireland.

Edit: Mine originally came from Watchunique and someone who didn't love the red writing on the display case back obviously polished it off with some polywatch paste.

Even a sugar cube works great for rubbing off the text! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They're a really nice watch for the price. Cool design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My "good luck" charm watch is on the wrist for today.
    Not that luck was going to alter the transcript or results ;)

The academic results went well, now awaiting a phonecall on some medical bits and it will be job done for this one again until next term/scan/emergency :)

VpGvzKZ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

After I ordered the Stowa Fleiger which is yet to ship i started to think about the Stowa marine I parted with last year.

Came across this one on eBay and put in a offer I thought might be refused but was accepted.

It's a 2008 manual wind Unitas 6498 movement. Bought Friday arrived today from Uk.

Love it.. some hairline scratches but nothing worth talking about

IMG-20200706-135810.jpg
    IMG-20200706-135808.jpg
    IMG-20200706-135801.jpg
    IMG-20200706-135500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

519086.jpeg

When someone posts about Seiko divers on adverts and you figure you’re safe enough because you have the Seiko diver you want but you accidentally come away with a ‘Gimlet’ Cocktail Time...

• Advertisement

dakar wrote: »
    When someone posts about Seiko divers on adverts and you figure you’re safe enough because you have the Seiko diver you want but you accidentally come away with a ‘Golden Champagne’ Cocktail Time...

But I don't drink cocktails.

Me neither, but Seiko haven’t branched out into ‘Creamy Pint of Guinness Time’ or ‘Independent Irish Brewery IPA Time’ lines yet, so I’m working with what they’ve got... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

After I ordered the Stowa Fleiger which is yet to ship i started to think about the Stowa marine I parted with last year.

Came across this one on eBay and put in a offer I thought might be refused but was accepted.

It's a 2008 manual wind Unitas 6498 movement. Bought Friday arrived today from Uk.

Love it.. some hairline scratches but nothing worth talking about

Beautiful piece, what’s the ballpark on these? Hard enough to come by. Dibs on sloppy seconds

0dYxGSq.jpg

Found this in a drawer. Genuinely thought I had sold it on a couple of years ago, after I got the original capacitator replaced. Forgot how good these are. So comfortable and nice proportions for a big watch. Face, hands, dial - nothing to write home about, perhaps (although great lume), but a serious chunk of metal if you like a solid diver. Lovely bezel action too. The overall quality punches way above the price point.

Looks great on the (very good) OEM rubber strap too.

david wrote: »
    Beautiful piece, what’s the ballpark on these? Hard enough to come by. Dibs on sloppy seconds

Was listed at 850 pounds. Got a bit cheaper than that.

Will let you know if I move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

dakar wrote: »
    Me neither, but Seiko haven’t branched out into ‘Creamy Pint of Guinness Time’ or ‘Independent Irish Brewery IPA Time’ lines yet, so I’m working with what they’ve got... ;)
    Just be sure not to Google 'Golden Champagne':eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

dinorebel wrote: »

Sounds like Trump's favourite cocktail ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Was listed at 850 pounds. Got a bit cheaper than that.

Will let you know if I move on

Sound thanks! What size is it? Always had my eye on a 39 Antea but I hear they wear big. Gutted I missed the Stowa flash sale. Best of luck with this and the Flieger, 2 amazing watches.

dinorebel wrote: »

Not sure where the golden champagne name came from, actually. It turned up in a couple of reviews when I googled the model no. SRPC99J1

Seiko’s own site refers to it as the Gimlet (a gin and lime cocktail). Still prefer a pint...

Today I went for something entirely different to yesterday's BFK.

nfhtVmM.jpg

Little more distance to show how it sits on the wrist

4BClqK1.jpg

If you zoom in on the pics you can see some of the detail in the finishing. For example, in the power reserve you have some scalloping, in the lines running around the western edge, and the concentric part-circles. You can also see the bevelled edges on the indices and hands. These complicated facets are what tends to make GS the right kind of shiny, reflecting so much light off so many different angles as they do.

Just like this (which I cut from the first or second pic above)

FapFGfR.jpg

Bear in mind these pics are taken indoors on my phone. I havn't edited them apart from zooming in the third one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

drool

david wrote: »
    Sound thanks! What size is it? Always had my eye on a 39 Antea but I hear they wear big. Gutted I missed the Stowa flash sale. Best of luck with this and the Flieger, 2 amazing watches.

It's 41mm size seems perfect on my 7.25 wrist. Brown stowa strap is quite nice to. Yeah I bought the fleiger in the flash sale... it's nearly new stock but still at half price couldnt resist. Still waiting for it to ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Amazing watch. The dial is unique. Love the whole GS range, the SBGH267 hi beat with the GS swirl dial is stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

That GS is stunning, I'd love to own a Snowflake some day.

Have you had it serviced yet? I've heard the Spring Drive service costs can be a little on the high side. Does the watch have to go back to Japan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

New strap arrived today. Was pleasantly surprised, genuine leather for £15 including delivery from Amazon.
    C7LSqv5
    Y8tSP90

For some reason I can't embed images, maybe somebody could assist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

I had a hankering the last while for a Seiko Tuna, but I couldn't justify the price tags.

Had heard good things about San Martin and so took the plunge...

519297.jpg

At first I was a little disappointed that I hadnt gone for the ceramic or all metal bezels (sold out unfortunately), but have to say I'm really liking this.

Big, solid and feels really well put together. I'm impressed so far...

(Just seen tedpan's message about having problems embedding, good to see I'm not alone, thought I was going crazy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cienciano wrote: »
    Amazing watch. The dial is unique. Love the whole GS range, the SBGH267 hi beat with the GS swirl dial is stunning.

The dial is amazing - easy to overlook the finishing on the hands, which looks superb as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

that Apollon chrono is cool tedpan, how does it wear? Weight etc? It's a mighty chunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

that Apollon chrono is cool tedpan, how does it wear? Weight etc? It's a mighty chunk.

Yeah it's my daily driver, had it almost four years now and keeps excellent time, I'm a fan of chronographs. Definitely a chunky watch(a bit like it's owner!) and at 150 grams it's not light, took a month or two to get used to it, now I don't even notice it on my wrist. The interchangeable bezels really sold me on the watch, it can pretty much be worn with anything, changing the strap is also simple with it's big lug bolts. I can't really say much bad about it to be honest, it's very reliable, the domed crystal seems bullet proof as it's been bashed a lot and always came out unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

fOMmMH6l.jpg

New (to me) Seiko Samurai.

It is a lovely watch, but I have an itch for the orange version of it, so if I see one I might flip this one for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have to say the samurai is a handsome diver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

New shoes! Seiko Samurai on a navy Crafter Blue strap. Very good quality rubber really like the metal keeper.

519337.jpg

519338.jpg

Perfect strap for that watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

The strap-game has been strong on the forum recently. Some great looks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ryath wrote: »
    New shoes! Seiko Samurai on a navy Crafter Blue strap. Very good quality rubber really like the metal keeper.

Nice textured dial on the Samurai Ryath. Any link to where you got the strap?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nice textured dial on the Samurai Ryath. Any link to where you got the strap?

Yea the dial is lovely I'm a sucker for textured dials, really changes in the light. It's fairly blue under natural light but inside it's dark navy nearly looks black sometimes.

Got the strap on amazon. They do variations for a good few type of Seikos: SKX, Sumo, Turtle etc. Do some for Tudor and Rolex models too.

https://www.crafterblue.com/seiko-rubber-strap

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Cassius99

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

New (to me) Seiko Samurai.

It is a lovely watch, but I have an itch for the orange version of it, so if I see one I might flip this one for it.

The Samurai is a lovely watch, and the orange is a great colour (have that and the black). But they missed a trick with having a flat orange dial compared to the lattice effect on the blue and black models. If the orange had that it would be phenomenal. Apparently the pre launch pictures had the lattice/waffle on the orange but it was sadly missing upon release...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

I would to get that GS under the SEM at work...

So I wanted a watch similar to my trench watch that I could wear without fear of breaking the lugs. Had a look on ebay and after watching a few watches I didn't particularly want to pay the prices they go for.

Then I spotted a little Russian watch from the 50s.

IMG-20200710-104848.jpg

IMG-20200710-105518.jpg

Got it for about 30 quid, after the seller knocked off 15 as it wasn't running face up when they went to ship it. I've wound it this morning and it's ticking away nicely. Needs new glass and I need to buy a 16 mm strap. Probably needs a service too but I'll keep an eye on the timing once I get a strap.

Its tiny by todays standards. Only 32mm case diameter. Here it is beside my small trench watch.

IMG-20200710-104950.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

hitemfrank wrote: »
    So I wanted a watch similar to my trench watch that I could wear without fear of breaking the lugs. Had a look on ebay and after watching a few watches I didn't particularly want to pay the prices they go for.

Then I spotted a little Russian watch from the 50s.

Got it for about 30 quid, after the seller knocked off 15 as it wasn't running face up when they went to ship it. I've wound it this morning and it's ticking away nicely. Needs new glass and I need to buy a 16 mm strap. Probably needs a service too but I'll keep an eye on the timing once I get a strap.

Its tiny by todays standards. Only 32mm case diameter. Here it is beside my small trench watch.

That's a lovely little watch, I have a real soft spot for vintage soviet watches but the small size puts me off

• Advertisement

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    That's a lovely little watch, I have a real soft spot for vintage soviet watches but the small size puts me off

It's smaller than I was expecting and probably might even look small on my wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

The movement looks fantastic in an industrial sort of way. It looks like it would survive a tank driving over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My Seiko Blue Tuna arrived from Japan a few days ago - stuck it on a cheap mesh - there is room for improvement there. See my separate thread if you can help me with any ideas

519443.jpg

Not as blue as I hoped, the dial is more very dark navy most of the time, although yesterday in some very bright sunlight in my conservatory, the blue really came out well. Didn't capture it of course :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

unkel wrote: »
    My Seiko Blue Tuna arrived from Japan a few days ago - stuck it on a cheap mesh - there is room for improvement there. See my separate thread if you can help me with any ideas

Not as blue as I hoped, the dial is more very dark navy most of the time, although yesterday in some very bright sunlight in my conservatory, the blue really came out well. Didn't capture it of course :o

Congrats Unkel, are you going to use the Japanese day wheel? I don't know what it is about blue watches and sunlight, it's a bit like being at the beach on a sunny day, it sparkles!

We need more pics;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Vostok Amphibia. Changed the orange nato strap for something else.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement