Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Can I ask how much Darragh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

This is it wrote: »
    Can I ask how much Darragh?

Sure, got this on offer from Aliexpress for 65 euro delivered from Czech Republic in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Something a bit different I just picked up for the house. Vintage seiko world time mantel clock, seriously impressed with the finish and weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Seiko 5 Fleiger - where the automatic watch love (illness?) started for me.

IMG-20200915-184758.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Seiko 5 Fleiger - where the automatic watch love (illness?) started for me.

Ohhh I like that!
    I think I need a Flieger, a nice Laco or cheap Stowa if they ever have any of their refurbs back in stock.

Thing is, I have 3 watches that really do need to 1st :(
    A Seiko Arnie, and 2 Invicta beaters.

This hobby gets both the hoarding and "I need it" instinct or as my wife says, "Bank balance destroying stupidity" into fairly full flow :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Just got a vintage seiko overhauled and serviced, been in storage for at least past 35 years, remember my late Dad bought it for me as a present in Spain all those years ago 😀

526518.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

More mods to my Casioak:

This morning it looked like this with it's blacked out bezel:

djN0MSO.jpg

New bezel and strap from Aliexpress:

gJBUmSI.jpg

It feels a lot more significant on the wrist, and the combination of brushed and polished surfaces looks great in the sunlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

3wayswitch wrote: »
    More mods to my Casioak:

This morning it looked like this with it's blacked out bezel:

It feels a lot more significant on the wrist, and the combination of brushed and polished surfaces looks great in the sunlight.

LOL, welcome to the club :cool:

That screw bottom right screw isn't in right btw. I'm wearing mine now, quality is excellent, what about yours? I got the quick release springbars, the quick release lever is a bit long, might change them to normal ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

Cienciano wrote: »
    LOL, welcome to the club :cool:

That screw bottom right screw isn't in right btw. I'm wearing mine now, quality is excellent, what about yours? I got the quick release springbars, the quick release lever is a bit long, might change them to normal ones.

I noticed the screw after I took the pic, got it sorted now :)

I'm quite impressed with this kit. It's got a nice, weighty, significant feel to it, and the finishing is great. I also love that it literally took 10 mins to swap all the parts out.

As much as I love my more expensive watches, these days I'm really favoring cheaper watches like this which I can freely mod and mess around with without any worries. I also have this pre-modded Seiko currently en route, and hopefully I can learn how to similar mods myself in the future.

s-l1600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, I was doing a bit of work recently and a few occasions banged the watch and was glad it was just the g-shock.

My watch case is a slightly different finish to the strap. The strap is more brushed, the case is shinier. I think I prefer the brushed finish more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Opened this one today along with a Panerai I had been waiting on, it’s feast or famine with me

15710st 42mm on rubber , one word , SOLID!

FdPhbD0.jpg

Cyrus wrote: »
    Opened this one today along with a Panerai I had been waiting on, it’s feast or famine with me

That is beautiful, well wear!

I vote that you and Fitz have a fight and we all watch whilst quaffing the most expensive cognacs and whiskeys we can lay hands on :pac:

Best use of an AP as an offensive weapon wins ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    That is beautiful, well wear!

I vote that you and Fitz have a fight and we all watch whilst quaffing the most expensive cognacs and whiskeys we can lay hands on :pac:

Best use of an AP as an offensive weapon wins ;)

If it’s a fight mine will win :D I’d swap for his though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

50349972632_94c3fcae97_c.jpg

Picked up this bit of subtlety this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It looks ready to tranform to a killer robot the second you take it off :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

jpg[/img]

Lovely!

So what’s going? The hulk or the overseas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Loving that AP OS Cyrus, looks in great condition too. Pop up a pick of the panerai in time too please. Also interested in whats going?

Hulk is going regrettably. Have enjoyed it for 5 years but it’s time for a switch up

Will be left with the AP, VC, GMT ceramic , Pam and IWC Portuguese

Hulk is going regrettably. Have enjoyed it for 5 years but it’s time for a switch up

Great collection, and the hulk is the one to get rid of for sure. What PAM reference did you get?

Both me an Fitz are disappointed not to get a crack at the VC! It’s time will come!

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Great collection, and the hulk is the one to get rid of for sure. What PAM reference did you get?

Pam1313 it’s the new blue dialled auto with the svelter 1950s case and white lume, just out .

The 1314 is cool aswell if you like white dials .

Pam1313 it’s the new blue dialled auto with the svelter 1950s case and white lume, just out .

200.gif

893bet wrote: »
    Both me an Fitz are disappointed not to get a crack at the VC! It’s time will come!

I’ll come to ye first !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

893bet wrote: »

You not the only ones disappointed..... :)

folks trying the Pam1313, its a cracker.

I have always loved the pam aesthetic (i know plenty dont) and when i dont have one i tend to start looking at them again. My ideal set up is an auto with a date, but the old 1950s case was too bulky and not that comfortable.

This new one addresses that issue, its thinner, sits better on the wrist and now slides under a shirt cuff (top tip, i get my shirts made to measure at proper cloth and you can specify that one cuff has an extra bit of watch clearance which comes in handy)

Lovely blue dial with blue gator (and rubber) strap with quick change,date wheel matches dial, date colour matches the lume which is now a white colour so much crisper,

really really happy with this, need to get a few pics in the sun,

3-F5-C2142-4-D4-B-45-F4-87-EE-8-D9-B746-DAA3-C.jpg

3-CD51864-9132-40-E3-A2-C5-590-CC24-E6-EF0.jpg

C07-BC28-F-E635-4-FBB-B306-E90-A58614-E8-D.jpg

368-C3-D24-23-CD-4-F1-D-ABAD-8-CCEF52753-BC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

the varg wrote: »
    Just got a vintage seiko overhauled and serviced, been in storage for at least past 35 years, remember my late Dad bought it for me as a present in Spain all those years ago 😀

snip

I'm sure it brings you close to your dad and those holiday memories when you wear it. Watches like that can be priceless literally.
    Good job getting it restored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've never had any strong feeling against faux lume, but the 1313 looks so much better without it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Oh Jesus, now I want a Panerai :o
    Hulk is going regrettably.

You're a smart operator. Now is the time to sell alright. Nice watch but not all that special really and certainly not worth what it can make you now, so you can spend it on other watches. It's made you a nice buffer against price drops on others too.

unkel wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, now I want a Panerai :o

You're a smart operator. Now is the time to sell alright. Nice watch but not all that special really and certainly not worth what it can make you now, so you can spend it on other watches. It's made you a nice buffer against price drops on others too.

just back from finalising the deal on the hulk with mr kutty of this parish, recommended for anyone who hasnt dealt with him. Hard negotiator but no messing.

I think the hulk will peak soon, maybe not yet but i cant see it being worth significantly more (as a private sale) for what i let it go for and if it is good luck to whoever buys it but thats not a game for me.

Its the one watch ive actually made a few quid on, i generally tend to break even, but i got to wear and enjoy it for 5 years and sold it for twice what i paid and replaced it with an AP, thats a result in my book.

just back from finalising the deal on the hulk with mr kutty of this parish, recommended for anyone who hasnt dealt with him. Hard negotiator but no messing.

+1

Bought both my Rolex from him. Exactly my experience. I'm a hard negotiator too and I got pretty decent deals, but obviously not as good as at private sale values. He has got to make money on deals to put bread on the table.

You traded for another watch or sell outright?

• Advertisement

Its the one watch ive actually made a few quid on, i generally tend to break even, but i got to wear and enjoy it for 5 years and sold it for twice what i paid and replaced it with an AP, thats a result in my book.

That is a result. And I have my suspicions that the AP will appreciate quite a bit in time too. There is no way that with Sports Rolex not in the high teens and stainless Daytona touching 25k that prospective buys wont glance sideways at that price level and go "wait a minute here, I can get a AP, or ALS, or VC for this money", I think we can see on this forum that traditional Rolex buyers are branching out into other brands.

Hulk prices are all over the shop, I am saying it now "The emperor has no clothes" but hell I have been talking about Rolex and tulips for years and they do nothing but appreciate.

unkel wrote: »
    +1

Bought both my Rolex from him. Exactly my experience. I'm a hard negotiator too and I got pretty decent deals, but obviously not as good as at private sale values. He has got to make money on deals to put bread on the table.

You traded for another watch or sell outright?

outright sale!

That is a result. And I have my suspicions that the AP will appreciate quite a bit in time too. There is no way that with Sports Rolex not in the high teens and stainless Daytona touching 25k that prospective buys wont glance sideways at that price level and go "wait a minute here, I can get a AP, or ALS, or VC for this money", I think we can see on this forum that traditional Rolex buyers are branching out into other brands.

Hulk prices are all over the shop, I am saying it now "The emperor has no clothes" but hell I have been talking about Rolex and tulips for years and they do nothing but appreciate.

at some stage you will be right as you say it makes no sense,

im surprised rolex havent increased asking prices more aggressively why allow grey dealers take a cut?

prospective buys wont glance sideways at that price level and go "wait a minute here, I can get a AP, or ALS, or VC for this money"

No doubt true for some traditional Rolex buyers, but the very reason these prices are so strong is that the majority of Rolex buyers were, are and will be only interested in Rolex.

Explains many other things too, like why Grand Seikos are only sold in very small numbers, despite being similarly or even lower priced than entry level Rolex watches, yet far better made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Dublin can be heaven.

526597.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Just as well as after today we'll be in dublin for a few weeks at least

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭lepoatnam

Got this as a present 2 weeks ago - Casio G-Shock Mudmaster GG-B100-1A

20200918-111317.jpg

20200918-113202.jpg

Limerick in the sunshine isn't too bad either ;)
    I can't take any credit for the garden other than the blurry photo :P
    Tis the wife's domain.

Steinhart is doing a bit of extra wrist service as I took the plunge on getting my Sinn modified a little.
    Fitting it with some Skeleton hands for minute/hour,nothing major and easily enough reversed.

On the subject of lockdown, I was in for a medical procedure yesterday and the consultant was very firmly of the opinion that if the current hospitalisation rates don't change.
    That a 2nd lockdown is likely within 4 weeks. :eek:

MVIMG-20200918-114802.jpg

A little incoming this morning. Like a child waiting for Xmas all week.......

9-B84-DBA1-7-C9-F-45-EF-9-FAD-B9153938-E235.jpg

5-E7-A347-A-880-A-4762-86-B9-A52948412798.jpg

• Advertisement

very very nice, congrats and well wear.

896Bet your classy bastard :) Well wear, an absolute stunner. ALS is a serious serious watchmaker, its just detail everywhere.

Thanks lads. It is mesmerisingly simple and elegant yet incredible detailed and complicated at the same time.

Stealthy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's an expletive deleted beauty 893. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

WOW 893...thats amazing. Well wear.

I must say that the caliber of watches of late on this forum has been unreal. We are seeing a real mix of affordable watches right up to the proper high end stuff like the new arrivals of AP's and ALS.

Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Right. I've been lurking on this thread long enough. Seems a good opportunity to post a couple and bring the forum's attention to the opportunities hidden among the Boss, Armani AX and Diesel offerings in the TKMaxx watch display. Worth casting an eye over when passing!

A Locman auto I picked up a few months ago for €60.

[IMG][/img]Locman.jpg

And a Traser Officer Pro Chrono I'd seen at €299. Nice watch, but I didn't need another blackface chrono. Popped in to Carrickmines and it had a red sticker for €149. Ah, sure you'd have to! The new VAT rate applied at the till brought it down to €142. Ah, sure you'd really have to...

[IMG][/img]Traser.jpg

Neither are aspirational bankbreakers, but I like 'em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

endacl wrote: »

And a Traser Officer Pro Chrono I'd seen at €299. Nice watch, but I didn't need another blackface chrono. Popped in to Carrickmines and it had a red sticker for €149. Ah, sure you'd have to! The new VAT rate applied at the till brought it down to €142. Ah, sure you'd really have to...

I'd never heard of Traser but looking them up it seems they're watches with a very definite military theme.

This one seems to be yours although offered on a NATO. Is yours on a PVD steel bracelet?

http://www.traserwatches.co.uk/index.php?option=product_detail&id=71&type=watches

Looks good although 46mm would be too big for me. The only watch I was ever tempted by in TKMax was a Vitrinox tough quartz for €299 but I didn't buy.

Same one. Mine’s on steel all right. Built like a tank, and the tritium is impressive. I’ll stick up a lume shot when it gets dark again. Watch is built like a tank. I’m tempted to order the rubber strap. Think it might suit better, although the original traser strap is pricy enough to edge things back towards ‘might as well have paid the original price’ territory.

Bugger. Now I’ve actively joined this thread I’ll have to buy more watches. I’ve only enough to go for a few more posts. And they’re not that exciting. :mad:

endacl wrote: »
    Bugger. Now I’ve actively joined this thread I’ll have to buy more watches. I’ve only enough to go for a few more posts. And they’re not that exciting. :mad:

It gets pricey, especially when the big boys start posting their new AP and ALS... :P
    Becomes aspirational and bloody amazingly interesting very quick!

Only messing, as someone else said in here quite recently. One of the great things about this corner is that there is no real snobbery, loads of knowledge and a real eagerness to share.
    I've learnt so much here.
    Nice watches btw, the lume on the tracer especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Speaking of Traser - they are the brand that may effectively be the promoting arm of their parent company's tritium tubes (MB Microtec) - the same tubes that are used in Ball Watches etc.

If you go onto the MB Microtec site you'll see Traser as their watch brand and Tragalight as the tritium tube brand.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement