Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Longford Leader

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Hello!
    I am switching today from lurker to poster for this forum.
    Today I recieved this 60's manual Boctok in the post from a recent ebay purchase.
    fishguy wrote: »
    Really nice Wostok! I think it's more 70's/80's than 60's.
    fg

It looks like this one from the Boctok 1976 catalogue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I love the expertise in here. :) Not just "I think it's...", but "here's the feckin catalogue page Ted".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

Poljot Okeah Final Edition. Pics borrowed from the internet.

7460826752_e0f0fef6fe_o.jpg

7460827066_146d614c44_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭onform

Zeppelin Automatic LZ127

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I got a promotion in work so bought myself a new Seiko! It came Friday.
    13330159333_ac63a643d1.jpg

I'm in love :D
    13330393874_4d82ffa485.jpg13330389934_6e3acd00ca.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That's really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Just took delivery of this Parnis 1x Power Reserve Style III Textured White Dial With Date and Seconds Subdial. I swapped out the nasty brown strap that came with it with one of my own. Sorry about the photos...taken with The IPad.....

DC

[IMG][/img]8e3358a81d3940b2cf1e649b1e7df059.jpg

67b68bf7d888b5db806f4bf8dff577a2.jpg

64e42ef8d7f2290cb464b268a9929afa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I got a promotion in work so bought myself a new Seiko! It came Friday.

yeah, its really nice. i love the blue.

Decoda wrote: »
    Just took delivery of this Parnis 1x Power Reserve Style III Textured White Dial With Date and Seconds Subdial. I swapped out the nasty brown strap that came with it with one of my own. Sorry about the photos...taken with The IPad.....

DC

Very nice, where did you buy from? Any customs charges?

Decoda wrote: »

Like that too. How's the timekeeping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Thx guys,

Another that arrived today

1x Power Reserve Style I White Dial With Seconds Subdial. Again I swapped out the absolutely dreadful black strap that came with it for one of my own. Again some horrible photos... :-(

0a902ea24599171e2777e5af831d8174.jpg

fbde65dc22bcef66636867119628f448.jpg

Mredsnapper -timekeeping seems to be ok. Haven't really had it long enough to guage exact accuracy.

Onform - no customs charges thankfully. I bought this and another
    . Although delivery took nearly 5 weeks, for the money ($110 for the Style 3 and $90 for the other, I don't think you can go too far wrong).

Ordered both from http://www.parnisoutlet.com no issues, the delivery took approx 5 weeks by surface mail but I was happy enough to wait.

Regards

DC

Decoda wrote:

Onform - no customs charges thankfully. I bought this and another
    . Although delivery took nearly 5 weeks, for the money ($110 for the Style 3 and $90 for the other, I don't think you can go too far wrong).

Ordered both from http://www.parnisoutlet.com no issues, the delivery took approx 5 weeks by surface mail but I was happy enough to wait.

Regards

DC

Thanks, will check out that site. $9 for shipping per watch seems reasonable. Love that second, Portuguese style one. Well wear with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Been meaning to add one of these to the collection for a while now and an opportunity came up last week to pick this up from the private collection of the european AD and I couldn't resist :)

Magrette Moana Pacific no150 of 500 made.

magrette.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ohhh I like that Homer. There are some hints of the past, but it could be 1970's or a certain Italian navy diver watch from the 40's, but it's so modern too. Nice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Homer wrote: »
    Been meaning to add one of these to the collection for a while now and an opportunity came up last week to pick this up from the private collection of the european AD and I couldn't resist :)

Magrette Moana Pacific no150 of 500 made.

Have been speaking to them recently, was looking at getting the Moana Pacific Diver Pro Steel/blue or the Regattare TIKI Stainless Steel/Blue

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Just got my Speedy Pro bracelet back from Swatch group. The clasp was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. Really happy to have it back. I had been wearing it on a Timefactors Darlena strap for the past few weeks and it really is a very different watch on a strap and on a bracelet. Both are nice, it's like having two watches! I really am a boring one watch WIS these days :)

boards-2014-03-25%2018.28.22.jpg

boards-2014-03-25%2018.37.55.jpg

Just got my Speedy Pro bracelet back from Swatch group. The clasp was malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. Really happy to have it back. I had been wearing it on a Timefactors Darlena strap for the past few weeks and it really is a very different watch on a strap and on a bracelet. Both are nice, it's like having two watches! I really am a boring one watch WIS these days :)

ah now...stop, everytime I convince myself I dont need a Speedie, you pop up a pic and then Off I go looking for one again :rolleyes:

ah now...stop, everytime I convince myself I dont need a Speedie, you pop up a pic and then Off I go looking for one again :rolleyes:

Hmm, in that's the effect I'm having maybe I should start asking Omega for referral fees;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Had my eye on this for a while, decided to take the plunge when I was in America recently (exchange rate pretty good at the moment).

2w69w0o.jpg

2upqs5z.jpg

9ad1dj.png

1z1fztt.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

My first mechanical watch, seiko 5
    htipvl.jpg
    2mrf7n9.jpg

Lovely watch. Are you going to try the fff mod on it?

Lovely watch. Are you going to try the fff mod on it?
    Had to google that. Fifty five fathoms.
    Looks like it increases the value of the watch!

TBH I got it as a tryout watch. I'm thinking of getting a 'nice' watch (omega, iwc, zenith...)
    Found I was browsing pieces significantly bigger & heavier than what I currently have...

The BP fifty five fathoms is a gorgeous looking watch*. The Seiko mods I've seen look damn good too. Though if it was me B? I'd be leaving it as is. It's a fantastic looking watch as it stands and a Seiko 5.

IMHO Seiko are seriously undervalued just cos they're not Swiss. It's worth noting that Seiko showed up in the 1960's at the chronometer trials/competitions in Europe and blew the local Swiss guys right outa the water with awards. Only Zenith and Longines kept the Swiss side up to some degree. "Big" names like Rolex and Omega and IWC etc were seriously embarrassed by the Japanese lads. So much so that the locals decided to change the rules and effectively banned the Jap lads from then on in. Like that did them good when the quartz revolution kicked in. Revenge is sweet. Japanese Une pointe, Swiss, Nil Pointe.

Never mind my rambling guff, well may you wear Bx5. A damn nice watch you have there and considering you're a mechanical virgin, you picked as well as a mechanical slut would. :D

PS I bloody well love the hands on those.

*a great uncle of mine actually has an original fifty fathoms. Bought it in the late 60s, in Portugal of all places, just cos he liked the look of it. Like me the bugger can't even swim. It actually seems quite a small watch on the wrist in modern terms last time I saw it. Solid though. It's going to his eldest son. Only he's bigger than me I may have considered getting all Shakespearian and daggery on his arse. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

One of mine:
    IMG_0316.jpg
    Emergency2_zps3ac801d7.jpg

I tried the bp fff on in Brown Thomas when they had them reduced. On my wish list post lotto win ;) lovely lovely watch. I've seen them go for about £5k second hand for a good quality recent release. New they are at least €12k on a strap if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

PN-140-1.jpg

I've been mulling over whether to buy a Parnis for some time or not. Normally I'm a little snobbish and like a company to have 'some' pedigree but after two colleagues buying and seeing them in the flesh I thought why not. I've also wanted a 50mm for some time, so it seemed like a good opportunity to kill two birds with the one stone. About €80 delivered from ebay.

It's ridiculous and I like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Ball Fireman just arrived, I wonder how long this one will last :rolleyes:

First impressions are good but the strap is rubber and needs breaking in so I might pick up something a little more comfortable. Apparently this strap cost about $150 to replace, I think I would have preferred a nice leather instead.

DSC07438_zps3df300f8.jpg

Some tritium gas tubes

photo1_zps3308518c.jpg

_575_zps15d7b60c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

^^ that's lovely

Ohhh me likey the tritium vials outside the usual "military"(faux) watches. Very Nice HDMI.

My two Favs

The Omega on a new Isofrane and the Steinhart on a Hirsch Rubber
    IMG_0190_zpsb7fa9910.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

My Raymond Weil Parsifal, a present for my 21st. couldn't believe the price of these in Weirs this evening (nearly €2k), I got mine for approx €1200 including 13% off about 5 years? What gives there?

Planning on adding a Breitling Super Ocean in the next few months. Still undecided on the chrono or not.
    56D1bJkl.jpg

techguy wrote: »
    Planning on adding a Breitling Super Ocean in the next few months. Still undecided on the chrono or not.

I've the 46mm chrono if you want to try it on.

Eoin wrote: »
    I've the 46mm chrono if you want to try it on.

Cheers Eoin, would you not be afraid i'd do a runner if I like it :)

Nah, it's too heavy to run quick with! But mine is the heritage version, which is probably different to the one you're looking at.

Hmm, the Heritage. A great looking watch but for some reason it doesn't seem to have the sporty/casual feel that I am looking for.

My thoughts being that my Parsifal is smart/formal whereas I would like my next watch to be somewhat casual if you get me..

I like the Superocean for it's colored strap and dials. Still trying to figure out what combination I like best.

Also, still pondering the idea of waiting around for a pre-owned one. Is there a certain amount of depreciation from new then after that it slows a bit?

I'd definitely buy secondhand, and let someone else take the hit.

Which SuperOcean were you looking at - this one?

I'd definitely buy secondhand, and let someone else take the hit.

Which SuperOcean were you looking at - this one?

Yes, that one and the non chrono one..

I've been looking at this but there's feck between that and a new one if you got around 10% off which I understand to be the norm. That ones 3 years old too!

I spoke with Stephen in Dawson Jewellers he said to let him know what I like and he'd source me a pre-owned one. I might see what he can do on a regular Superocean. I tried both on the other day and and would be happy with it. Don't think budget could stretch to the chrono..

Just had a quick look on TZ-UK and one the same as the one I linked to was sold recently with an asking price of £2200. I've seen ones like the one you posted go for £1350 and up (probably no box & papers at the lower end).

Just had a quick look on TZ-UK and one the same as the one I linked to was sold recently with an asking price of £2200. I've seen ones like the one you posted go for £1350 and up (probably no box & papers at the lower end).

Not the Breitling, but looks similar...ish and £750 on TZ - Longines Hydroquest

SAM_0809_zpsfdfea222.jpg

Not the Breitling, but looks similar...ish and £750 on TZ - Longines Hydroquest
    NO QUOTING PICS AS PER THREAD TITLE

Thats really nice looking. Nicer and cheaper than the Breitling IMHO. Then again the only Breitling I would consider would be an older 42mm navitimer.

• Advertisement

Thats really nice looking. Nicer and cheaper than the Breitling IMHO. Then again the only Breitling I would consider would be an older 42mm navitimer.

That's not bad looking but I think it has to be Breitling, for now. I think the only possible alternative would be an Omega Speedmaster. Actually, most Omegas seem to appeal to me.

This speedmaster isn't bad and at 13 years, dare I say it, not that dated looking. Is that a dated look, I wouldn't know :/
    31933-934429615.jpg

... And BOO! I can't see the sales section of TZ-UK for another 59 days :(

Everyone here knows Im a Speedy fanboy so I'll be the first to give that choice a thumbs up. I couldnt wait for tz sales access before I got mine.

... speedmaster isn't bad and at 13 years, dare I say it, not that dated looking...
    Note that is the reduced speedmaster, 38mm, not the regular moon-watch.
    They're normally cheaper than the 42mm version.

^^^

What he says...its the Reduced Model

^^^

What he says...its the Reduced Model

Much cheaper and only half as nice. The regular moonwatch normally comes up on tz for between £1600 - £1800 but you may have to factor in the cost of a service. They were circa £2200 on iconicwatches last time I looked.

There are a couple of other models such as the triple date and the coaxial. The moonwatch is manual wind and has a lovely hesalite crystal. It also holds its value better than some of the others.

Is that a dated look, I wouldn't know :/
    Well the design is a late 1960's one so dated is a relative term. :) "Fashion" and "Fashionable" watches usually date the most. Icons like the Speedy don't. The Rolex submariner another example.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well the design is a late 1960's one so dated is a relative term. :) "Fashion" and "Fashionable" watches usually date the most. Icons like the Speedy don't. The Rolex submariner another example.

But the Breitling Superocean with red or green trim .. Now thats another story :D

Sounds like a bad joke to use the word "timeless" about a watch, but that's what designs like the Speedmaster are.

Back to the thread subject *takes names* :D

1448812d1396893108-show-us-your-longines-tell-us-your-wish-list-longultronic.jpg

A better pic than before of my 1971 Longines "Ultronic" Diver, model 8484-1(1 being the strap version). On a Hadley Roma "NATO"(it's me...) Comes with the less usually found grey and green bezel markings. They're mostly orange, like in this original advert.
    1412467d1394361085-longines-ultronic-date-question-381268d1330442413-longines-ultronic-diver-ref-8484-20-atm-longines_ultronic_anzeige.jpg

Powered by a ESA 9162(Longines 6312 calibre) tuning fork movement. Mesmerisingly smooooooth seconds hand. IMHO these have a fantastic looking dial. The raised indices are a work of art, like the hands sweep time around a mini steel Stonehenge, just missing touching by under a mm. Big bugger on the wrist. Really gets attention even from "normals". Just came back from a spa trip to Electric watches in the UK. I'd recommend Paul for anyone with an electric type watch. He does great work with great value attached.

• Advertisement

Well I can report after 36 hours back from its service, the accuracy of the above Longines is... *drumroll* ... No gains or losses. Still right on the money.

Goooo Bulova tuning forks! :)
    302300.gif
    By way of ESA and a tweaking of the original design by its original designer.

I've always wondered could someone these come up with a way to make one of these entirely mechanical? So instead of a battery supplying the initial motive force you could ready up some sort of mainspring mechanical contraption that set the tuning fork going, replacing the far lower frequency balance wheel escapement vibe of normal watches. I've read that some of the Bulova movements can run for a couple of seconds with no battery installed if tapped on the case. Actually they and ESA movements are odd with their hacking to set the time. There is a mechanical lag involved. You pull the crown and they run for a second after the power is removed. My above Longines runs for two seconds. So to hack it to 12/60 say, you pull the crown at 58. Same with restarting it. You push in the crown two seconds before you want it to start.

*EDIT* another aspect you notice with this Divers watch is its legibility for purpose. When glancing at it in most angles what you see most of all is the fluorescent orange minute hand(and the seconds hand), which is what's vitally important to skindivers. The hour hand isn't nearly so obvious at many angles, so it's actually not that great as a fast "what's the time" watch. You kinda have to cock your wrist. I suspect CarltonBrowne's gorge(jealous) Universal Geneve here is similar in this. Then again back when both our watches were made they were aimed at actual divers, rather than divewatches for chaps in suits that never get wet. Desk divers as they are known. That's cool too. I can't even swim FFS. :o:D The other joke is that orange(and green and blue) is one of the very worst colours for diving watches. It loses legibility within ten metres depth as the light gets filtered. Unless it's fluorescent. So those non fluorescent orange hands/faced "divers" are more fashion than anything.

Actually one of the coolest hack movements I've seen was another Longines, a handwind(60's I think), where you pulled the crown, but it kept running until it reached 12/60.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement