Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried about dog!

Options
  • 09-03-2009 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

:confused:hi our little pet jack russel jessy is going in for a hysterectomy in an hour and were very worried.she has a womb infection..
    how will she be tonight if she comes home?
    will she be in pain for long?
    she is 12 years old.

has anyone else had to go through this...any help will help us alot.

thanks a million

heres a picture shes the cutest dog ever
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

She'll be groggy and a bit disorientated for a while. But she should be up and mooching around at a good pace after about 2 days. They recover remarkably quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

She's having the op becase of pyometra so depending on the severity of the infection and how enlarged the uterus has become she may have to stay in overnight. The recovery time will be slower than a spay but dogs are very resilient so she'll be better quicker than you think. The vet will give you advice when you collect her but the main thing following any surgery is not to feed her much the first night, boil up some chicken and carrots and give her a little of it. Have plenty of water available for her and don't let her jump up on furniture or go up or down steps. She may have a collar on but if she doesn't keep an eye on her so she doesn't get at her stitches. Don't walk her for 3 days or so to give her stitches a chance and when you start her walks again take it easy at first.
    That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure you'll get loads of advice!! Hope she's back to her old self soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

thanks everybody..just got word iv to collect her at 4.so hopefully she will be back to herself in no time,and many more years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

That's great news
    I imagine if there was any problem you would not have got the call to bring her home at 4pm, so that's looking good!
    Lots of TLC tonight!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

hi she is home and everything went well.she is very drosy and very sore.she has a lampshade coller she has to keep on.i feel bad for her as she is in pain but in the long run its all worth it..hope the next 10 days are ok and she be back to normal in no time...:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Glad she's OK! It mustn't have been too serious if she's home tonight - some pyos can be very, very nasty. Loads of TLC from now on!!!!

Advertisement