Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I've a pretty simple home network setup. I've an all-in-one netgear DSL modem/router/WLAN with 4 ports sitting in a spare room with 2 NAS devices and server connected to it. The final port is wired to the living room where a xbox is connected to it. I now need a second port in the living room for a HTPC. Can I just simply get this 5-port gigbit switch, plug it in and off I go? Or do I need to create a subnet for my living room and reconfigure stuff like static ip-address's and port forwarding for the xbox?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

No, you should be able to run from the ports on the Netgear to the switch. The IP's will be assigned by DHCP (unless you statically assign them).

If you dont want the devices to communicate then place them on seperate subnets (this is where is may get trick for you) as you would need to have a routing device to route between subnets.

IMO, You don't need a second subnet anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

iRock wrote: »
    No, you should be able to run from the ports on the Netgear to the switch. The IP's will be assigned by DHCP (unless you statically assign them).

If you dont want the devices to communicate then place them on seperate subnets (this is where is may get trick for you) as you would need to have a routing device to route between subnets.

IMO, You don't need a second subnet anyway :)

Cheers, don't need a subnet so that's good, thought a device like a switch might have needed it's own subnet! All my devices have static addresses, just wasn't sure if going from the router to the device through the switch would have been an issue.

Advertisement