Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weddings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

colblimp wrote: »
    Do I dare suggest that, if I were to undertake a wedding shoot, I could do it all on a 50mm? The idea sort of appeals to me...

sure you could, why not. I was at a seminar last year by a very high end wedding tog that mostly used a 35mm all day with amazing result.

Equipment isn't the barrier to getting good results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Fionn

a word on equipment!! - yeah you could probably do it on a 50mm but it's risky to have just one single camera and lens! what happens if there's an accident and your camera/lens gets broken? how would you carry out the shoot, would all the shots at 50mm be acceptable?
    I'd never dream of doing a wedding with one camera - id always have two of everything sometime three!! - try and prepare for the unexpected!! People wont be very forgiving if you mess up their big day!!

good luck

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I usually end up using mostly the 50mm, and only switching to the 100mm in that time when everyone's waiting around before food, so I can hang back and get some candids without being too intrusive. I'm usually a second shooter though, and the main shooter would rarely change from the 24-70 - now that's a lens you can definitely shoot a whole wedding with. If you can hold the damn thing up all day of course :pac:

Of course, yes, you should have a backup body and lenses too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I tend to take 3 lenses.

50mm 1.8 for general portraits, couple shots etc. 10-22 for those god awful shooting gallery shots when the bride wants just about everyone at the wedding dragged away from the bar to get into it and my trusty 200mm 2.8 L for standing back and getting candids.
    The 200mm is also handy when you get churches who dont allow photography as it means you can stand well away from things and fire a few off when no one is looking!

One of these days i'll invest in a 24-70..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

In the church I use the 70-200 f2.8IS/ 120-300 f2.8 depending on how big the church is and if I can hide away with the big sigma. 24-70L of course and the 85 f1.2L. Three flashes,two bodies, 50mm f1.4 and a few other bits and pieces.

While I am sure its possible to shoot a wedding using a 35/50, it wouldnt be my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

So are we saying that weddings aren't shot on medium format any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Fionn

dont know, but the general trend is, as far as i see these days - 35mm Digital SLR
    thats what I use!
    some people might still be using medium format but any weddings i've been a guest at - i haven't seen any!
    my wedding line-up is Canon 1 series full frame, 1 series 1.3 crop - EOS 70-200 f2.8IS & 24-70L/24-105L and 35mmL
    oh! and another EOS as a back backup and lights and flashes and stuff - my big thing is dependability (equipment wise) if you dont have that you have nothing! only luck!! which aint good enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Times, styles and photo equipment certainly have changed...

http://www.fashion-era.com/Weddings/1956_old_wedding_photos_royal.htm

Advertisement