Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handgun query

Options
  • 09-03-2009 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Quick question. I have found a .22 pistol I like and went to the local FO to enquire about the licence. He said that following an instruction from HQ any licence for a handgun issued post the Ministers ban announcement would not be renewed this July.
    This seems a bit mad but there you go. Is he (a)Trying to put me off, (b)Trying to save me money (c)Talking through his hat (d) Other?

Or is everything to do with this new legislation still up in the air?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

(d) You're wasting your time until at least the Minister publishes the new bill.

I know three applications made before the Minister's statement that haven't been processed and there's probably a lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That is what the Minister said, but not what the details say. What kind of .22 pistol is it?

Sparks wrote: »
    That is what the Minister said, but not what the details say. What kind of .22 pistol is it?

From what I'm hearing it doesn't matter what kind of pistol it is; even air pistols are getting hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

The gun is a Ruger .22 revolver, also liked the Ruger Mk3 .22 but the revolver fits me well and when I test shot it I was pleasantly surprised.

The other thing that strikes me is that we are only 4 and a half months away from renewal time. If new legislation is being brought forward there would have to be a lead in time to allow the Gardai implimemt any changes from current procedure, so 4 or 5 months is little enough time really.
    This is getting bloody Oirish in the worst possible way. No wonder the country is shagged!

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing it doesn't matter what kind of pistol it is; even air pistols are getting hit.
    For application holdups you mean, or for not being licenced at all?

Sparks wrote: »
    For application holdups you mean, or for not being licenced at all?

Indefinite holdups which are effectively the same as not being issued.

True. The uncertainty as to what's in the Misc Bill and when all of the CJA is going to be finally squared away is causing immense damage, you can see it in the for sale/wanted forum here - everyone's afraid to buy lest they not be able to licence what they've bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the ruger MK III is not a revolver, it is semi automatic making it a "pistol"

I think he was saying he'd tried the mk3 and another handgun which was a handgun and that he preferred the revolver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

jwshooter wrote: »
    the ruger MK III is not a revolver, it is semi automatic making it a "pistol"

He didn't say it was a revolver.:rolleyes:

milkerman wrote: »
    The gun is a Ruger .22 revolver, also liked the Ruger Mk3 .22 but the revolver fits me well and when I test shot it I was pleasantly surprised.

Cant make it any clearer lads, the gun I want to buy is a REVOLVER!

Either way, do our legislators differentiate between pistols & revolvers? Are they not all handguns? Could they find the pistols in their own trousers?

The statistics do differentiate, but the law doesn't, and the standards of the statistics aren't exactly up to everyone's expectations anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

IF YOU submitted your application before the 19th nov last year the you licence will be ok.
    if not then dont bother for the moment because we have no idea whats in the new legislation and what it means for handgun owners or hopefuls.
    we have been promised the new laws would be published in febuary but it just keeps getting put on the long finger.
    The fact that our sport is even mentioned in the CRIMINAL justice misc bill
    is a crime in itself,we are not the problem.
    just remember this when the candidates come knocking on your door looking for your vote in june.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I have heard that handguns, will only be allowed as club guns, from after the bill?? anyone else hear this?

At least it would be some light at the end of the long dark tunnel :confused:

Heard precisely the opposite chem. And a dozen variants in between. I think we're stuck back at square one here - waiting for the publication of the bill itself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

Chem,
    I think that would be a totally unworkable solution. Far as I remember there's something in the CJB 2006 about not allowing restricted firearms to be held on a club authorisation (or some piece of it yet to be enacted) I could be wrong about that though. Also brings up the issue of centralised / secure storage.

Still it would be better than complete ban:mad:

True Sparks, its wait and see time. One thing I did find was this:

Council Directive 91/477/EEC of 18 June 1991 on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=EN&numdoc=31991L0477&model=guichett

Just struck me that alot of whats in the new bill matches closely with this. But we have the Oirish turbo revision :rolleyes:

Chem,
    I think that would be a totally unworkable solution. Far as I remember there's something in the CJB 2006 about not allowing restricted firearms to be held on a club authorisation (or some piece of it yet to be enacted) I could be wrong about that though. Also brings up the issue of centralised / secure storage.

Ned if they did write this into law..........maybe der not as stupid as they look:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InkL_qou54I

Advertisement