Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double-Glazed Window Suppliers/Contractors/Fitters

• 09-03-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have had a look through all the forums in relation to Double-Glazed Suppliers/Contractors/Fitters and have found some interesting stories. I am currently looking for windows and have received 5 quotes and there are differences in pricing (one company is double another company's pricing). Can anyone give me feedback good and bad on <SNIP>

I really appreciate it and many thanks in advance for your time.:)

Mod edit: Read the charter please. We dont want business names posted up here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lhylat

sorry should have mentioned I am living in south Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ascottdub

HI,

I live in NTH Dublin, and would be interested in the previous questions in this post.

I just viewed a house that would most certainly need new windows.

Is there buy the front, get the back ones at a better price, or anything along those lines?

How likely is anyone in the current climate able to pay the windows off along with the mortgage. I have used the incorrect wording, I know, but at this exact moment the term escapes me.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 BUILDERSKY

IHYLAT
    Before you decide check what they ofer.
    the main factor of windows is a u-value. if all supliers ofer the same then u can take lower price.
    but
    when j was getting windows J was told windows have u-value 1,1, and price was ok for me but then j spoke to others and j found this u-walue is just for glass and frame was 2,4:mad:
    so jm still looking for a good u-value windows 0.8 to 1.1 in a good price
    cos most of heat is lost through windows

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lhylat

Many thanks for your reply and useful information? Is the u value the quality/dimension of the glass?

Can I ask do you know about the gas contained in windows and how I make a judgement on that?

many thanks:)

• Advertisement

Hi Ihylat
    Yes u-value depends what size is window and quality of glass and frames.
    material itself has factor "lambda" wich you can use to calculte the "u"
    when you get a u for glas, for ex. 1,1 and frame has 2,5 then whole window has about 2,5 wich is quiet bad, the openings makes u-value worse.
    the good window must have 1,1 where glas has 0,8 and frame 1,1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

lhylat wrote: »
    Many thanks for your reply and useful information? Is the u value the quality/dimension of the glass?

The U-value is a measure of the rate at which heat is lost through the window (or other parts of the building - e.g., you can calculate the U-value of a wall). For U-values, a lower value is better.

http://www.sei.ie/Your_Home/FAQ/#FAQ8

If you're buying an old house which needs new windows, there's a good chance it could do with other work to improve its energy efficiency.

The new SEI Home Energy Saving scheme doesn't cover windows, but would make a contribution towards a "before" and "after" BER assessment, as well as other works such as improved insulation, more efficient boiler & heating controls, etc.

http://www.sei.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/

A BER assessor will be able to advise on all aspects of your house's energy efficiency, including the windows.

nearly all the times, supliers are talking about u-value of the glass and they're misleading that it's the most important thing.
    but theres nothing more wrong.
    its very simple to make the good quality glazing. the problem is in the frame.
    usually u-value for the glass is 1,1 but frame is 2,5 wich is quite bad, becouse total u-value for a whole window is about 2(depends on proportion of the frame and the inside of the glass)
    so when you'll be buying windows check both u-values

Advertisement