Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get deposit back or not?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I signed a 1 year fixed term lease with my landlord 4 months ago.

I lost my job last week.

I have given the landlord 1 months notice.

Can I expect to receive my deposit back at the end?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I too am interested in this.

Had a look thru the lease contract and it says term 12 months and 'break clause option' is none.

Can I still give a months notice and get my deposit back?

I'm going on a LTA with work and have to give up the place :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Short answer is no.

The lease has to have a spefic clause in it to allow to give one months notice.
    If it doesnt and the landlords isnt in breach of the lease then you dont have a leg to stand on.

Now i would ask if your tenancy is PRTB registered(you should have gotten a letter with a registration number). If it is then you havent really a leg to stand on.
    If it isnt then ask for your deposit back or else you'll report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

Thanks.

My landlord asked me at the start not to claim rent relief because his taxes were 'complicated'.

I wonder if I ask for the deposit back at the end if he will be nice enough to stay on good terms with me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

irishbrain wrote: »
    Thanks.

My landlord asked me at the start not to claim rent relief because his taxes were 'complicated'.

I wonder if I ask for the deposit back at the end if he will be nice enough to stay on good terms with me. :p

So they are a cowboy then?

Remind them of this request when you ask for the deposit back.Landlords who do not register with the prtb leave themselves without protection from tenants. I really do not understand landlords who would do this.

If they give the deposit back i'd consider shopping them anyway(But thats me). The less cowboys the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭irishbrain

He is registered with the PRTB so I don't understand why he asked me not to claim rent relief because it was complicated. When I agreed, he shook my hand and said 'you are a gent'.

I hope now that he is also a gent when it comes to returning deposit of 700 Euro's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Agent J wrote: »
    If they give the deposit back i'd consider shopping them anyway(But thats me). The less cowboys the better.
    Agreed. Mention that if you can't get the deposit back, you'll see can you get money back from claiming rent allowance from the government. And if he pays up or not, go for the rent allowance thing.

Advertisement