Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Carlow Weather site with forcasts

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭

Well my website http://www.carlowweather.com has been upgraded along with my my weather station.

I now have a Davis Pro 2 Plus with 24hr FARS and soil temp and Moisture sensors. Pics below of the setup.

I also have used a PHP template to update my website and I have purchased WXSIM for custom Forecasts for my area which are available on the site.

So if anyone in the area is interested in getting current weather information or a forecast its available free on my site.

Opinions, Suggestions and Criticism all welcome.

3299869185_fa9351af84.jpg
    3299868017_d3f28cf075.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Well done. Looks like perfect site for weather station.

Not criticisim - just comment! ;) You should try and get anaeomometer higher if you can. Standard installation would be 10 metres (over ground/surrounding buildings).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cheers Docarch, I might invest in a remote sensor for the anaeomometer and put on a pole above the Chimney when I get some more cash this has bled me dry for a while, its about 5 meters above the ground and I don't think I can put it any higher with a pole in the ground as it would be hard to secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Well done. Looks like perfect site for weather station.

Not criticisim - just comment! ;) You should try and get anaeomometer higher if you can. Standard installation would be 10 metres (over ground/surrounding buildings).
    Don't under estimate the logistics and cost of this of getting the anemometer up to this height. They need maintanence. I had to access mine 3 times in a month and since has been working fine for 2 years.

I mounted mine on top of old ESB post
    I have access to a teleporter (and a driver I can trust!!!) to get up to mine.

While the pics don't show all directions, Villains site looks fairly unobstructed for quite a distance and the increase in wind speed with height may be less than many other sites. It is fact though that the wind speeds you see reported from synoptic stations are at 10m height apart from Malin Head which is at 18m, reason for latter unknown to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Villain, is that an existing pole I see a bit further down the garden there? Whatever it is, it looks perfect height for you for anaeomometer if it could be reached by ladder?

I agree with Mothmans comments re: access can be a nightmare if something goes wrong - for the amateur I wouldn't suggest 10m height is not always practical, but in Villains case if you could get anaeomometer even twice the height of the existing, where it is, it might take away some of the effects the fence might have on the wind?

Docarch you have me confused now, my anaeomometer is located on the long brown pole shown in pic 2 above and shown more closely below or do you mean a different pole?

The white one is my old station

3281720632_a4734783ab.jpg

• Advertisement

.....sorry....!

Scratch the above, that's perfect, I just didn't see your anaeomometer on your brown pole in the first picture! :p

Villain, I'm very curious with comparisons between 2 stations. Max mins, rain, wind etc.

Not as much as I would have thought Mothman, Tempature during the day is the only major difference, the sun was affecting the old station by up to 2C.

The rain is more accurate e.g the old station over-record's rain by .5mm for every 3mm

Wind is direction is more sensitive but wind speed isn't that different

And that 2C difference was in Winter. I assume the difference in Summer would/will be higher.

Very true Mothman, that would appear to a major downfall on the cheaper station, although a DIY sensor would probably go some way towards addressing it.

The 24hr Fars also seems to react much quicker to changes in air tempature

• Advertisement
Advertisement