Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Directors Cut

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Released on the DS and the Wii on the 27th of March. I love the original on the PC. I have the GBA version as well. I'm such a fan of this game i'll probably, stupidly buy both versions! This is probably the game i've replayed the most. Time and time again i have come back to it.

They say they are using all the original voice cast which is great for Nico. They have someone different voicing her every game.

Anybody else looking forward to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm looking forward to it too. Rumour has it, if this game does well there's a chance of BASS2 at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Good news, never played BASS but its supposed to be great as well.

I saw the trailer they released recently with the new section at the beginning with Nico seeing the initial murders. It worries me a little, the art style is a little different to what i expected. I'm hoping they don't change much to the game. Especially, i hope they keep the fantastic score the same. That is probably my favourite game soundtrack ever. The characters and dialogue will stay the same as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

First I've heard of it. Loved the first one - got the original Tomb Raider the same day and barely touched it until Broken Sword was complete.

I see there are rumours that the new version will be dumbed down for modern players - there will be a rocker launcher to help people get by a certain silly 'billy' in Ireland. ;)

I never heard that! That section was damn annoying first time through! Well, if its true hopefully they left the option to solve it the original way too (unless your pulling my leg Fnz:pac:?).

I'm looking forward to it too. Rumour has it, if this game does well there's a chance of BASS2 at long last.

If it does well then maybe we might see BS 2 on the DS and Wii as well!

• Advertisement

Chumpski wrote: »
    If it does well then maybe we might see BS 2 on the DS and Wii as well!
    A BS2 Director's Cut is also possible, and according to an interview, BS3 and 4 could be remade in 2D :o

Like Fnz said, the goat puzzle has been reworked to make it not as hard as it was.

Dave Gibbons (Watchmen, BASS) is working on the Director's Cut, thus the slight difference in style and the addition of facial close-ups.

The music is back to Barrington Pheloung as well, having been Ben McCullough since BS3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

BASS2 would be amazing, absolutely loved that game. I'll definitely be buying this to support revolution and I loved the game anyway on PC, especially the little egyptian kid that was obsessed with roger moore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

I never heard that! That section was damn annoying first time through! Well, if its true hopefully they left the option to solve it the original way too (unless your pulling my leg Fnz:pac:?).
    Of course I wasn't, chummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....p! :D
    Like Fnz said, the goat puzzle has been reworked to make it not as hard as it was.
    It has? :confused:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I loved the game anyway on PC, especially the little egyptian kid that was obsessed with roger moore :)

... "of the quizzical eyebrow"? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Released on the DS and the Wii on the 27th of March. I love the original on the PC. I have the GBA version as well. I'm such a fan of this game i'll probably, stupidly buy both versions! This is probably the game i've replayed the most. Time and time again i have come back to it.

They say they are using all the original voice cast which is great for Nico. They have someone different voicing her every game.

I remember playing this years ago and I admit I'm very fuzzy on the details but wouldn't the very nature of the game suggest that there isn't a lot of replayability in it? I mean, once you've solved a puzzle or finished the story, isn't that it? Is there alternate endings?

Also, forgive my ignorance but what is BASS? I tried googling it but I just keep on getting hits for fishing games... :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beneath a Steel Sky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be curious to pick this up for the DS, though I can still remember most of the puzzles. Man that goat "puzzle" had me stumped for ages. A great game all told & one of the classics for sure, but to be honest, I don't shed too many tears about the passing of the point n' click genre. Way too many hours were wasted playing hunt the pixel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Never played a broken sword game. Might have to look into this

Fnz wrote: »
    It has? :confused:
    Not exactly sure how it's been reworked (sans rocket-launcher I presume ;)), but Charles Cecil said in this interview that it's been changed.
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Also, forgive my ignorance but what is BASS? I tried googling it but I just keep on getting hits for fishing games... :)
    You can get it free (legally too) from ScummVM or Good Old Games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Scarlet89

Constantly checking on the net to see is there any sign of new games from broken sword so I'm delighted that there is. Love this game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Broken Sword is my favourite game of all time. I cant believe that they are nerfing the Goat puzzle. Its difficulty is its beauty! I still vividly remember my first time getting past the goat. I had been stuck on that screen for months. Near-impossible puzzles are integral to a great graphic adventure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Finally a reason to dust off the Wii! Broken Sword is one of my favourite games of all time, I remember that Roger Moore kid, you meet him in Syria don't you? Along with the American couple who turn up in the sequel in South America, they were brilliant.

This news has me giddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I only played the original and a demo of the second. Great series, so charming. But which version to get?!

It's nice to see a '90s game series return. Maybe Legacy of Kain will be next!

Mr. K wrote: »
    I only played the original and a demo of the second. Great series, so charming. But which version to get?!
    I loved that demo -- made me want to visit some docks in Marseilles ;)

As for what version to get, the DS won't have voice acting, so maybe that'll sway you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The demo!! God, I still have it somewhere, sold the game for me - the music, the voiceovers, the atmosphere, the night watchman dialogue!

Cant wait for this, sorry to hear about the dumbing down of the puzzles.

Will he still fit a theodolite down his pants?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Omg! Can't believe I hadn't seen anything about this before! Love the series, some of the best games ever.

Finally a game to get for that paperweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

You can get it free (legally too) from ScummVM or Good Old Games.

That's class. Thanks for that, now I have it running on my iPhone. :)

Now I see where your .sig came from, always had me wondering, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I loved that demo -- made me want to visit some docks in Marseilles ;)

As for what version to get, the DS won't have voice acting, so maybe that'll sway you.

I remember being unable to figure out how to finish the demo. The feeling of satisfaction when I did was immense!

The voice acting was very good, so the Wii version it is!

Fnz wrote:
    Of course I wasn't, chummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....p!

Haha:pac:
    Mr Bloat wrote:
    I remember playing this years ago and I admit I'm very fuzzy on the details but wouldn't the very nature of the game suggest that there isn't a lot of replayability in it? I mean, once you've solved a puzzle or finished the story, isn't that it? Is there alternate endings?

It has one of the most entertaining stories and characters ever in a video game. On every replay its not exactly a challenge, i know all the puzzles off, even the goat! But the dialogue and story are absolutely first class.
    efla wrote:
    Will he still fit a theodolite down his pants??

Sure, if he has room for a manhole cover lever, why not:pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Fnz wrote: »
    First I've heard of it. Loved the first one - got the original Tomb Raider the same day and barely touched it until Broken Sword was complete.

I see there are rumours that the new version will be dumbed down for modern players - there will be a rocker launcher to help people get by a certain silly 'billy' in Ireland. ;)

I completed the first two broken sword games when I was seven. I'd hardly call them difficult. I'm looking forward to this though,should be good fun playing an old classic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Leprachaun wrote: »
    I completed the first two broken sword games when I was seven. I'd hardly call them difficult. I'm looking forward to this though,should be good fun playing an old classic. :D

I completed it when I was young too but it was a real labour of trial and error. I don't think I'd have the patience for some of those puzzles in a new game today - I don't think making allowances for players not wanting to waste hours getting stuck is really a 'dumbing down' of games personally, I'm glad they're generally less frustrating these days.

As long as the settings, music, story, acting and dialogue are up to the standards of the original I'd be ok with them changing up the odd puzzle here and there.

Haha:pac:

It has one of the most entertaining stories and characters ever in a video game. On every replay its not exactly a challenge, i know all the puzzles off, even the goat! But the dialogue and story are absolutely first class.

Sure, if he has room for a manhole cover lever, why not:pac:.

I loved the way they would make fun of that in Monkey Island. They really don't make adventure games the used to. I would love to see Grim Fandango being re-released on the next gen consoles, with improved graphics.

I loved the way they would make fun of that in Monkey Island. They really don't make adventure games the used to. I would love to see Grim Fandango being re-released on the next gen consoles, with improved graphics.

Agree, they don't. BS 4 was much better than 3 but still no where near 1 or 2..

Heres a clip of Wii footage:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Sometimes I get in a real point and click kind of mood and have to play a bunch of them in a couple of months and then leave them for ages. Reading this thread is bringing back that feeling!

Anyone know if there are any more recent games like these? Ie: like grim fandango, mokey Island or broken sword? I wouldn't mind playing something new for a change.

The Longest Journey or its sequel Dreamfall are supposed to be good. Dreamfall is no point and click though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Cheers, I haven't played either of them, must check them out.

Advertisement