Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Directors Cut

Options
2»

Comments

How would a point and click port to a console though? Would the puzzles be dumbed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

How would a point and click port to a console though? Would the puzzles be dumbed down?

I hope not, the choice of console seems reasonable; I cant imagine it working any way other than with the wii interface.

I just hope they keep it as a nod to the faithful and not a mass-market appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

efla wrote: »
    I hope not, the choice of console seems reasonable; I cant imagine it working any way other than with the wii interface.

I just hope they keep it as a nod to the faithful and not a mass-market appeal

First two Broken Sword games I played on the Playstation so I don't see why it wouldn't work on any of the modern consoles. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Fnz wrote: »
    First two Broken Sword games I played on the Playstation so I don't see why it wouldn't work on any of the modern consoles. :confused:
    Because modern gamers* are a twitchy trigger happy bunch.

*Not all, but some only buy games with guns/cars/footballs in them, and no multiplayer is a egative mark straight away...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Anyone know if there are any more recent games like these? Ie: like grim fandango, mokey Island or broken sword? I wouldn't mind playing something new for a change.

There's a load of episode-based new Sam & Max games on Steam.
    Chumpski wrote: »
    The Longest Journey or its sequel Dreamfall are supposed to be good. Dreamfall is no point and click though.

These can be found on Steam too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

monument wrote: »
    There's a load of episode-based new Sam & Max games on Steam.

Oh yeah, I can't believe I forgot about them, I think I own them all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

IGN had a review up for both games. They gave fairly good reviews. Complained about the new sections animations and backdrops and voice overs having better quality than the original games.

It seems the DS version is the better game but it doesn't have voice overs. The GBA version is great apart from the lack of voice acting. Will just have to pick up both later! Its out today i think.

Chumpski wrote: »
    Its out today i think.
    It is. The DS version is only €25 in GAME too. Cheapest I saw the Wii version is €45 in Smyths with the reward card.

A couple more reviews: Official Nintendo Magazine (86%) and Videogamer.com (8/10).

I'm not so sure, I went back to C&C retaliation on PS1 recently and found it completely unplayable, despite playing for many hours years ago (BS and C&C being before mainstream analogue control).

I was referring more to the DS, I cant see the detailed pointing needed for most of the puzzles working well with a realtively 'bulky' stylus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

efla wrote: »
    I cant see the detailed pointing needed for most of the puzzles working well with a realtively 'bulky' stylus

Good news on that front; according to the the IGN review...
    Unlike similarly-styled point-and-click games on DS, Broken Sword: The Director's Cut eschews the familiar blind-poking mechanic most closely derivative of traditional cursor driven interfaces. Instead, Revolution has crafted a unique – and largely superior – means of interacting with the game world. It's more drag-and-release than point-and-click, with exploration focussed on sliding the stylus round the screen, searching out key areas. As you near points of interest, a small circle appears, indicating you can interact with it. Slide into the circle and iconic-representations of tasks you can accomplish materialise – simply shift over and lift to perform an action. It's a nifty way of eliminating the frustrating guesswork of titles like Professor Layton and ensures you're able to study environments, cross-examine characters, or interact with objects and puzzle elements with ease.

Sounds like a pretty good interface, eh? :cool:

• Advertisement

Good news on that front; according to the the IGN review...

Sounds like a pretty good interface, eh? :cool:

Sounds great, that was about all that was swinging the wii version for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Damnit I would have picked it up for the DS if they still had the voice acting. Sure that was half the charm (dodgy actors aside). I don't own a Wii so I guess I'll smell ya later Broken Sword :(

Just bought the DS version...

Why did I not read (dont answer) the reviews?? Or the rest of this thread??

No voices??? WTF???

No Nana Stobbart stories??????!!!!!

It's a pity really. The voice acting on the DS would be great. Apparently the reason for not having any are the cost larger carts (expensive Nintendo/cheap publisher) and the fact that they have to have 5 languages on the cart (Nintendo's fault) :(

From the adventures I've played on the DS, Layton's only one with some voice acting, but that's just in a few cut scenes. Hotel Dusk had none either.

Just picked up Broken Sword 'trilogy'; 1, 2 and Sleeping dragon for PC for €20

And enjoying more than the directors cut unfortnately

Howerly crap! BASS included as bonus game!!

Advertisement