Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Types of Wood in Windows

• 09-03-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A quick question for the wood experts…

Have definitely decided to go with all Wood windows so that decision is fnal…(I know plenty will think me mad:eek:)

My budget was looking like only allowing me Pine wood or similar but with some companies under more pressure now, I have got a quote for OAK windows that is just outside the budget but only marginally…..
    I had originally wanted to put in OAK but all original quotes were too dear but now that pressure has been applied (money talks now!!), it looks like I may afford it..

The question I suppose is this- In terms of putting in Wood windows, what I am gaining in terms of choosing OAK over say Pine or Larch or Meranti?
    Is it just aesthetics, or is it a better wearing wood etc etc?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

I have done a bit of research on this and to be honest most window supplier will tell you differently to suit what they supply.

Hardwoods are great to use but are very expensive. Pine and Meranti are an excellent choice for window but you have to look at it to see if it is finger pointed. This is an absolute no... no. The look is absolutely terrible and different trees of the same wood are used so this comes through visably even when you varnish them.

Lifespan is very similar in all three so to be honest, I don't think using oak is really worth it. Check the combined rating of the glass and the frame rather than just the glass.

I am trying to source a window supplier and I will go with Meranti. Have you considered Alu Clad... this will protect the wood outside and keeps it clean so less maintenance, Are you sourcing them up the North... seems to be the thing to do? PM with your supplier and I will tell you who I found value and no nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Could you send on those details please.

Thanks.

Lightning

Advertisement