Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbour Advice.

Options
  • 09-03-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Would like some advice please. Keeping it as short as possible. I live in an attached house the neighbour on one side of us has been difficult for the last few years due to a dispute about parking and him doing noisy building work on his house on Sundays and late nights other days and one particular morning at 4am. Anyway he has a transit van and a jeep and every morning over a year now at around 07:10am he starts both of them and leaves them running for at least a half hour then goes out to work in the van. For the last month probably due to the recession he hasn’t been going out to work and still does the same thing and after a half hour sometimes up to an hour turns them off and goes back into the house. I’ve rang the council and the rep said if it’s after 7am there’s nothing they can do. I’m reluctant to say it to him as he’s doing it on purpose and if we say anything he knows his childish tactics are working and the fact that he hasn’t been easy to talk to in the past. Anybody any ideas on what to do please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Try talking to your neighbour? If he's not breaking any laws your first port of call should be a friendly chat that expresses your concerns. Failing that, seek further action.

As to what that further action might be, I cannot express on Boards.ie what I would do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Surely his other neighbors are bothered by this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

put a potatoe in his exhaustpipe it will choke his engine if you plug the leek holes it will explode and probably kill him

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Varkov wrote: »
    put a potatoe in his exhaustpipe it will choke his engine if you plug the leek holes it will explode and probably kill him

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Get ear plugs

My parents house is in an estate with a lot of barking, howling dogs and when they start this is what I use.

He sounds like an ass, but he is a an ass within the law so there's not much you can do bar speak to the guy. If that's not an option then get ear plugs as recommended above.

Move your room to the back of the house too as that will keep you a bit more isolated from the noise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

Fredrick wrote: »
    Would like some advice please. Keeping it as short as possible. I live in an attached house the neighbour on one side of us has been difficult for the last few years due to a dispute about parking and him doing noisy building work on his house on Sundays and late nights other days and one particular morning at 4am. Anyway he has a transit van and a jeep and every morning over a year now at around 07:10am he starts both of them and leaves them running for at least a half hour then goes out to work in the van. For the last month probably due to the recession he hasn’t been going out to work and still does the same thing and after a half hour sometimes up to an hour turns them off and goes back into the house. I’ve rang the council and the rep said if it’s after 7am there’s nothing they can do. I’m reluctant to say it to him as he’s doing it on purpose and if we say anything he knows his childish tactics are working and the fact that he hasn’t been easy to talk to in the past. Anybody any ideas on what to do please?
    buy a louder car and star yours at 7am and set off the alarm every now and then:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

Ring the Noise Pollution Department in the County Council you are in and see if they have any rules ie no noise betweem 11pm and 8am
    I know in the estate I'm in there is a rule like the above but it is a "private esate" and that is a Management Company rule, Still the Council should be able to advise you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

as hard as it is your present course of action is the best, simply ignore the guy. to be doing something like that for a year means he must be one extremely unhappy individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

preilly79 wrote: »
    Try talking to your neighbour? If he's not breaking any laws your first port of call should be a friendly chat that expresses your concerns. Failing that, seek further action.

As to what that further action might be, I cannot express on Boards.ie what I would do :)

Cheers, he's a very hard man to get through too not very open minded. And the fact that he'll then know that its affecting us will only motivate him to keep doing it. I think but in the end it might be the only option thanks.
    catch88 wrote: »
    Surely his other neighbors are bothered by this too?

When we asked they said they did hear him but didnt seem too pushed about taking it further. The neighbour on the other side of him was beaten up by one of his sons a few years back over a minor dispute down to him and his building practices.
    Varkov wrote: »

Tut Tut.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    Get ear plugs

My parents house is in an estate with a lot of barking, howling dogs and when they start this is what I use.

He sounds like an ass, but he is a an ass within the law so there's not much you can do bar speak to the guy. If that's not an option then get ear plugs as recommended above.

Move your room to the back of the house too as that will keep you a bit more isolated from the noise.

Yeah tried these before and they are effective might hit B&Q on the way home ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I had the same problem. A friendly talk is by far the best first stop.

Even invite him around for a beer.

Striking a friendly relationship will work best if you want him to respect your situation. Plus any tense daily meeting on the driveway will be avoided.

You kill more wasps with sugar than vinegar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

maybe im being stupid here, but i thought there was laws against truck drivers or bus drivers leaving their engines running for long periods of time when parked (no matter what time of day)...i always thought it was environmental reasons. I cant remember where i heard this tho so maybe i have no clue what im talking about...but maybe u could look into that avenue, maybe the same might apply to him and his van i dunno.

also doesnt he care about wasting fuel..that must cost him

scully74 wrote: »
    buy a louder car and star yours at 7am and set off the alarm every now and then:cool:

Yeah thought about this but don't want to be upsetting my other neighbours ;)
    flowerific wrote: »
    Ring the Noise Pollution Department in the County Council you are in and see if they have any rules ie no noise betweem 11pm and 8am
    I know in the estate I'm in there is a rule like the above but it is a "private esate" and that is a Management Company rule, Still the Council should be able to advise you

Definately gonna look into this tomorrow ta :)
    who_ru wrote: »
    as hard as it is your present course of action is the best, simply ignore the guy. to be doing something like that for a year means he must be one extremely unhappy individual.

Exactly like could you/me be arsed and not to mention the wasted fuel and his own family must be woken by him what a d*ck eh

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I had the same problem. A friendly talk is by far the best first stop.

Even invite him around for a beer.

Striking a friendly relationship will work best if you want him to respect your situation. Plus any tense daily meeting on the driveway will be avoided.

You kill more wasps with sugar than vinegar

It used to be like this years ago, but over the years he kept crossing the line showing no respect to us and other neighbours like i said in my Original post hammering and using power tools on sundays and one morning @ 4am scrapeing the front of his house still have to laugh at that one :D Few other
    things went down that i wont mention here...
    speedy2007 wrote: »
    maybe im being stupid here, but i thought there was laws against truck drivers or bus drivers leaving their engines running for long periods of time when parked (no matter what time of day)...i always thought it was environmental reasons. I cant remember where i heard this tho so maybe i have no clue what im talking about...but maybe u could look into that avenue, maybe the same might apply to him and his van i dunno.

also doesnt he care about wasting fuel..that must cost him

Good point i'll check that out tomorrow too thanks.

Advertisement