Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I lodge money into my credit card account to get a negative balance?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I currently have a stupidly low limit of €400 on my credit card but would like to purchase flights this week that are going to cost in the region of €700.
    Is it possible to transfer funds from my current account to my credit card account in order to give it a negative balance, thereby giving me the space to make a €700 purchase?
    Are there any fees associated with doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can do this, and no it shouldn't cost you anything extra.

The only problem with going "negative" is that if you try to draw cash from an ATM, you'll be charged a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yeah, if you can't up your limit then you can tfr the funds. Might be an idea to ask them to up your limit for the next time this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Yes you can and no fees. Have you tried ringing the CC company and asking for an increased limit?

Have you tried the 3V option?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I must give them a call and up the limit, it's been nothing but an inconvenience.
    I'd rather steer clear of 3V, I've had nothing but bad luck with them before.
    Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

seamus wrote: »
    You can do this, and no it shouldn't cost you anything extra.

The only problem with going "negative" is that if you try to draw cash from an ATM, you'll be charged a fee.

I thought if you lodged money to your account you would withdraw it like you would with an atm ie no fees

If on the other hand you were using it with out any additonal funds ie within your credit limit they charge a fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kearnsr wrote: »
    I thought if you lodged money to your account you would withdraw it like you would with an atm ie no fees
    I didn't think so. I'd heard of people proposing it (so you could use your CC as an ATM card on holidays), but the primary drawback was that you'd be charged x% of each cash withdrawal.
    I'm open to be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Nope, The withdrawl will go via the visa/mastercard network whom do not know your balance, and will charge your bank a fee for the transaction. Some banks might absorb the fee....
    If on the other hand you were using it with out any additonal funds ie within your credit limit they charge a fee

If you Lodge funds on your credit card to increase the available credit, there are no additional charages compared to "normal" transaction.

Some issuers even used to pay interest on positive balances...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

I have a BoI mastercard and always put it into debit before heading outside the eurozone.
    Pros: No atm fees which otherwise are min €2.50 per transaction or a %
    cons: The debit part is not insured if your card is swiped etc.
    Credit card exchange rates aren't great.

No extra fees for doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

seamus wrote: »
    I didn't think so. I'd heard of people proposing it (so you could use your CC as an ATM card on holidays), but the primary drawback was that you'd be charged x% of each cash withdrawal.
    I'm open to be corrected though.

This is correct, i got charged 1.5% cash advance fee for withdrawing from my credit card which worked out as €22.50. I was not very impressed when i saw my bank statement as i didnt know about the 1.5% charge at the time.

Not all credit cards have this charge though, when i rang up AIB they said i could get a platnum card which has no such fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dearg81 wrote: »
    This is correct, i got charged 1.5% cash advance fee for withdrawing from my credit card which worked out as €22.50. I was not very impressed when i saw my bank statement as i didnt know about the 1.5% charge at the time.

Not all credit cards have this charge though, when i rang up AIB they said i could get a platnum card which has no such fee.

Cash advance fees are for CC that dont have any funds in them - hence a cash advance. Withdrawing cash from a atm with your cc shouldnt incur a cash advance fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

adox wrote: »
    Cash advance fees are for CC that dont have any funds in them - hence a cash advance. Withdrawing cash from a atm with your cc shouldnt incur a cash advance fee.

Thats what i thought too but you're wrong. I had €1500 in funds in my visa account from poker winnings and transferred it to my current a/c and got charged a cash advance fee of €22.50.

Advertisement