Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPG games question

Options
  • 09-03-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

RPG games give you a choice over how you want your charactor to act - good/evil & light/dark ect.

I was wondering when you play an RPG how do you play them? most of my mates will go "good" or "bad" play the game twice - am i the only one who plays the games as "myself" i answer and say everything as i would if i where in that situtation.

Or do you play the game helping everyone once and then being cruel to everyone once?

just wondering

How do you play RPG's 31 votes

good
    0% 0 votes
    bad
    58% 18 votes
    myself
    6% 2 votes
    other - please discuss
    35% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I voted other as I didnt feel the other options covered it properly.

I generally play to my mood for the first while, so if I start playing in bad humour I go the sadistic murdering maniac route, if I play in good humour then I am jesus reborn. At that stage then i've put in x amount of time as either good/evil so ill continue with that persona for the games duration.

I generally wouldn't replay the game again just to do it as the opposite good/evil guy (unless there was a big alternative to doing so like alternate quests and endings), but if I was to replay the game I would probably go for the opposite role .

Sometimes though you get a game where you either love or hate the characters to an extent where you cant help yourself but make the choices reflecting your attitudes to the charachters.

Case in point, Fallout 3 was the saint of the wastelands until I found little lamplight. Then I just wanted to go out and shoot everything that moved in the wastelands after enduring those little shits for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

fallout 3 is actually where the discussion came from. When i left 101 i wasent sure if that city megton would be safe so instead i went into the wateland. im 57 hours into the game now and still have not gone near megton or any other city. (for those who havent played basically in 57 hours in and have not done the 1st "mission") just small busildings all the sewers, im pretty heveally armed now so i figire sometime later this week ill head over to megton to see my dad although im not that arsed im having fun as it is a i might wait till i get boared of the game before i go to megaton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I picked "myself" but saying that I don't think it's possible to play an RPG and stick to the options that you would pick were the character you. After all, some of the situations would be fairly out there, so how would know what you'd really do? Instead, I act in a way that I would like *think* I'd act if it were me - which is usually the good route.

To the OP - 57 hours in and the main quest not started? Wow, it's going to be insanely easy for you when you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I voted myself. I find that I generally do good and only occasionally do the bad stuff when a particular character I don't like appears. I've never played through an RPG game twice. Usually play it to death by doin all side quests etc first time out and by then the idea of going through it again just does not appeal. Mass Effect was the last game I played and I loved it but can't see myself going through it all again. I have fallout 3 on the my list of games to get to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I answered good because I usually wuss out and can't bring myself to be a nasty git. Also, you usually get better stuff for being a goodie. It does depend on the game though, I played KOTOR 1 and 2 as evil from the outset as the dark side is so much cooler. :)
    That said, there's usually a few occasions in any rpg where I save the game and go postal for a while, killing anything that moves. Then I just reload the save when I've gotten it out of my system. The inhabitants of Megaton have felt my wrath on a few occasions at this stage. :)
    One place where this strategy didn't work was Amn in Baldur's Gate 2. Bloody wizards appearing all over the place any time I tried anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It depends on the game, but generally I play as a goody goody the first then, and then an ultimate bad ass the second time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

sometimes my morales suggest that the good things in fallout 3 are not necessarily good things. so therefore whatever happens, happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I always play as the good guy first time around and if I enjoy the game go back through it as the bad guy. I just find alot of games have the anti-hero as the main character so being sickingly good is a nice change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

koneko wrote: »
    It depends on the game, but generally I play as a goody goody the first then, and then an ultimate bad ass the second time.

Ditto such repeatability is something I value esp when it genuinely makes a difference to the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

koneko wrote: »
    I'd generally be the same. Super good guy, then i try and be a badass/asshole on the next play through. I occasionally find it hard to pick the asshole choices though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I usually play as myself, which is good the majority of the time. If I feel that it's worth it (ala Mass Effect), I'll play through it again and make the most evil choices possible, just to see how things pan out. (gotta love punching people in the face to get your point across:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

User45701 wrote: »

I was wondering when you play an RPG how do you play them? most of my mates will go "good" or "bad" play the game twice - am i the only one who plays the games as "myself" i answer and say everything as i would if i where in that situtation.

Good thread, brings me to something I've been thinking about recently in terms of how RPGs have changed.

It depends on the RPG itself but generally yes, I would make a character that looked like me, and play the game doing what I think I would do etc (if I was someone with fantastic fighting abilities and knew I couldn't die that is :p)

However this brings me to my point. I would only do this in rpgs where your character is not voiced by a voice actor.

Because if your character has a voice actor. Its doesn't feel like you anymore and feels more like an interactive movie.

Maybe if I was american I might feel different, I dunno.

But this is an issue with RPGs I've been thinking about for a while. Voice acting. Its a double edged sword in that while it adds something to the experience, it also takes something away.

FF7 was kinda like reading a book , you voiced all the cast in your head. But if they re-made it, this time with cheesy american voice actors.....wouldnt it take something away?

Anyway back on topic:

KOTOR etc etc I made myself and answered as I felt I would and thus was goodie goodie two shoes generally.

But MASS EFFECT has voice actors for the character. So I decided to play the game TOTALLY different to the way I played the KOTOR's.

Made a badass female character instead of a goodie two shoes male. I realyl didnt like the male voice actor where as I thought the woman who did the female shepard did a great job.

So heres a taste of what I'm talking about for those interested. I did have fun (muahahhhhaa) :

**edit** damn, this vid is HQ widescreen, dunno how to embed it like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I play JRPGs.
    What is this "choice" you speak of? Is it like choosing which sub-bosses to encounter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I tend to go with whatever is "best" for me - whatever offers the best return, but I dont take a short term view on it. Usually "good" quest rewards tend to be the best in the long term as in most RPGs cash and stuff is useless for the endgame.

Look at KOTOR 2 - you can get another character to initiate convos and when DSP come up, that character takes the hit, not your PC. Which is a neat way to get that powerful darkside crystal whilst remaining pure as the driven snow with the attendant light side mastery bonus.

I've reinstalled BG2/Throne of Bhaal and Ill be going through the game min/maxing everything, taking advantage of almost every broken quest and exploit or developer oversight to do things stupidly overpowered that break the game. Which will guide my morality and quest choices, so that wherever possible Ill have my cake and eat it.

If I thought I missed an opportunity to exploit something stupidly overpowered, then its an excuse for a replay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Thanks for the replies guys,

Still working away at fallout 3 and while i dont play as good or bad, id like to think in real life situtaton i would not kill someone if i knew i could 100% get away with it but anyway ive started killing traders and scavengers if they have good stuff on them no point in spending 1000's of caps when you can think take.

If fallout was kotor my face would have changed to the black veined look and id be shooting lightning bolts not to mention my fav force power: Force Crush - *sigh* - to be a Sith Lord.... The power of it all....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm usually good the first time, bad the second. The only exception to this so far has been KOTOR (1 and 2), where I was bad as can be on my first playthrough. Being a Sith Lord is awesome!

Advertisement