Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundant?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi- any advice welcome,

been with company 3.5 yrs in senior role. Bosss came in on Fri- told me that business slow etc, has to save money- he is 'letting me go' but I can stay for up to 6 months while I find something else.....

Firstly- I am only senior person being 'let go'. A few part time staff have had hrs cut etc, they are all here months only, not years.
    Statutory Redundancy is only about 5k- so why offer to keep me here for up to six months?
    Boss's family all work here in senior roles, eg his daughter works for me, junior role but same salary. genuinely feel that this is a 'political' redundancy, in order to promote her. Also- as I said noone else has been made redundant ie his own family.

So- is he just being nice to me cause I have a claim for unfair dismissal/redundancy?

Also- if I find another position- can he refuse to pay me redundancy lump sum? Is there any limit on 'notice period' for redundancy?

What should I do? Play nice and just try to find something else (difficult in these times)? Argue and try to get larger pay out? (My predecessor was here 6 yrs, made 'redundant' (cause wasnt able for volume of work) and he paid him €30k!!!!
    Go down route of unfair/constructive dismissal??

Any comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement