Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust mite problem

Options
  • 09-03-2009 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi people,

Does anyone know where I can buy dust mite products?? And if so which which one do you reccommend??

Rage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

wash your sheets on the boil wash - hottest you can get it.

Buy a mattress protector: most of the dust mites in your house are in there.

boil wash your pillows as well - they do ok if you tumble dry them (down pillows need to be dry cleaned)

If you have wall to wall carpets save up money to replace them with flooring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rage123

Thanks Xiney for the tips. I have a mattress cover..

I actually need dust mite powder or spray for carperts???. Where can I buy these?

I live in rented accommodation so wooden floors etc are not an option for me unfortunetely
    thanks

James

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

Are these the mites that are vsible to the eye and are black or white in clour. I see these on the mantle peice in my living room and I don't know how to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

One of my colleagues had a problem with mites last year - they were in rented accommodation too. Ended up costing the LL a lot - 2 visits from exterminator, new mattress and new carpet! Make sure they are destroyed afgter the first treatmenet as this is what happened to my collegue - wasnt go thte first time and then they reoccured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

How do you know if you have them in your house/bed? Can you see them or do they bite? I'm a bit freaked now after reading this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Mink wrote: »
    How do you know if you have them in your house/bed? Can you see them or do they bite? I'm a bit freaked now after reading this thread!

you have them, everybody has them. millions and millions. they are invisible to the naked eye, but some people like me are allergic to them

OP, i use this once every six months. spray the whole room, go to work then vacuum when i get home. it works for me, but i'm sure there are plenty of other products out there. just ask your pharmacist

https://www.mypharmacy.com.sg/ShopFront/ProductPage.aspx?CatID=45&ProdSKU=995640510

i also think people are mixing up dust mites, and bed bugs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

If they are invisible to the naked eye. I don't think there the mites I see on the windowsill and mantle peice. Anyone know what these could be and how to get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

billyhead wrote: »
    If they are invisible to the naked eye. I don't think there the mites I see on the windowsill and mantle peice. Anyone know what these could be and how to get rid of them?

what size are they?

You could start with a simple insecticide spray. If they still don't go away you will probably need a professional exterminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

you have them, everybody has them. millions and millions. they are invisible to the naked eye, but some people like me are allergic to them
    In fact.... people aren't allergic to the dust mite, they are allergic to the dust mite excrement.
    Yip, I try not to think about that too much! :o

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    In fact.... people aren't allergic to the dust mite, they are allergic to the dust mite excrement.
    Yip, I try not to think about that too much! :o

well it's good to know my body disapproves of me eating and breathing sh it, regardless of where it comes from .:D

Advertisement