Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Infinidock FTW. Roll on 5 row keyboard for ios5!

dsender wrote: »
    If you're already on 5.0.1 have people been doing the backup and restore with the downloaded firmware as it says in the guide?

I have in the past but I don't see the benefit. It would be slightly cleaner and it ensure people are on the current version, but other than that...
    No need to. Just jailbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cannot wait any longer for an IPad 2 jailbreak :mad::pac:.

I have never actually jailbroken anything before so will be hassling everyone here to tell me what to do once I have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Raoul wrote: »
    Cannot wait any longer for an IPad 2 jailbreak :mad::pac:.

I have never actually jailbroken anything before so will be hassling everyone here to tell me what to do once I have it done.

While ya wait look on YouTube on how to jailbreak and all the goodies it will bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anyone do the new jailbreak for Apple tv ? Can't install Xbmc winscp crashes right at the end of putting in commands :(

Any ideas how to get it work ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Anyone do the new jailbreak for Apple tv ? Can't install Xbmc winscp crashes right at the end of putting in commands :(

Any ideas how to get it work ?

just finished doing it. had some problems because aTV didn't want to go into dfu mode, but worked eventually. xbmc installed first try, and working like a charm. I follow the tutorial here. first timer yet no problems so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    just finished doing it. had some problems because aTV didn't want to go into dfu mode, but worked eventually. xbmc installed first try, and working like a charm. I follow the tutorial here. first timer yet no problems so far :)
    Switched to putty and it worked first time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

[QUO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Installous and cydia are really slow, sometimes they don't even load up.

Anyone else with this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

it's because 1000s of people trying it at the same time. give it couple days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

jhb33.3 wrote: »
    Just had my iPhone 4 unlocked from Voda UK and now using Three Ireland all working perfect. No Need for jailbreaking or carrier unlock just have a look at fonefunshop.co.uk. It cost me £50 and took about 9 days to activate. I thought that it was a scam at first but not so, it appears that they register your IMEI number with the apple database so that your phone is unlocked through iTunes as it would be with a carrier unlock. Don't know how they do it though as it obviously is not in the interest of carriers if say for example you are mid contract.

Well it's the same process that any carrier the phone is locked to uses. I got mine unlocked throught iTunes from 02.ie for free 2 months ago. For Free and I was mid-contract....

feeditout wrote: »
    Well it's the same process that any carrier the phone is locked to uses. I got mine unlocked throught iTunes from 02.ie for free 2 months ago. For Free and I was mid-contract....
    O2 are the best in this regard. VF will not allow billpay customers this luxury. Im sure the other 2 carriers are not as generous either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So theres no jailbreak for the 4s on any ios version yet right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Dr Nic wrote: »
    So theres no jailbreak for the 4s on any ios version yet right?
    no not at the moment but pod2g is working on one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Went to upgrade my 4 to 5.0.1 from 4.3.4 tonight. Got the 5.0.1 IPSW from iClarified, and was getting unknown error 21's all night. Put the phone into DFU mode, and now I'm getting 1600 errors. I have the hosts file edited to point gs.apple.com to the cydia servers. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Google just throws that one up, and tells me to try different USB ports/cables, all of which I've done.

Should say, I've done it with and without the hosts file contents, and it prepares the phone for restore after verifying the ipsw with apple, so no prob there, but it's something on the phone's end that causes it to bomb ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Might be wrong but I think you have to update to ios5 in itunes before you can jailbreak it.

Owen wrote: »
    Should say, I've done it with and without the hosts file contents, and it prepares the phone for restore after verifying the ipsw with apple, so no prob there, but it's something on the phone's end that causes it to bomb ...

If you don't have tinyumbrella go get it now! Then come back open tiny click advanced and untick the box that says if you need a clean install from apple unclick this box

If that fails use a different pc update to 5.0.1 then chane back to your pc with the back of your iPhone and install the jailbreak are you just jail breaking or unlocking? If just jb go ahead do the above!

fox007 wrote: »
    If you don't have tinyumbrella go get it now! Then come back open tiny click advanced and untick the box that says if you need a clean install from apple unclick this box

All that does is edit the hosts file as per my post above. Trying iReb as per a suggestion from a friend on FB.
    fox007 wrote: »
    If that fails use a different pc update to 5.0.1 then chane back to your pc with the back of your iPhone and install the jailbreak are you just jail breaking or unlocking? If just jb go ahead do the above!

Just jailbreaking, its a factory unlocked machine. I have a netbook runing Win7 I can try in a min if all else fails.

Swapped to a different PC and it seems to be taking the update alright. What a pain in the ass.

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    Swapped to a different PC and it seems to be taking the update alright. What a pain in the ass.

I thought that even tho you stopped it connecting to gs.apple.com. Some how it is.Be thank full it works tho just restore from you main pc your all done

Ah jesus it's going to be a long night. Got it to 5.0.1 fine, went to JB it, JB went fine, but now it's stuck in a reboot loop. Have rejailbroken, still the same. Going to have to bring it back to 5.0.1 and try again ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

So how long before the 4s is jailbroken?

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

Now 5.0.1 is untethered everyone is the scene must be focusing on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Dr Nic wrote: »
    So how long before the 4s is jailbroken?

http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

Now 5.0.1 is untethered everyone is the scene must be focusing on it

Hopefully by the end of the month. Did you donate to any of the jailbreakers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any chance of it by the 13th of January, I'm getting an iCade for my birthday and the Atari collection is, frankly, new money for old rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Newbie question, but how can I undo a JB? I jb'd to try out spire, but it's pretty useless at the moment and a good few of my apps are not working properly since the jb. Also the personal hotspot is turned off and I can't see a way to turn it back on. I'm assuming the jb did sonething to the hotspot settings, as it was working before.

Newbie question, but how can I undo a JB? I jb'd to try out spire, but it's pretty useless at the moment and a good few of my apps are not working properly since the jb. Also the personal hotspot is turned off and I can't see a way to turn it back on. I'm assuming the jb did sonething to the hotspot settings, as it was working before.

You need to restore the phone in iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Karsini wrote: »
    You need to restore the phone in iTunes.

Thanks. I'll have to leave it for a while so. The mac at home has all my wife's stuff on it, I use my pc at work for backing up and syncing. I presume if I try a restore on the mac at home, I'll end up mixing up my own apps an songs with my wifes? Too much hassle to untangle that lot, so I might wait til I'm back at work and restore there.

Just thought there might have been some way to un jail break on the phone itself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If your using iCloud to back up all your data, you could just do it all on the phone....

reset all settings

the phone will be like the first time it was ever turned on, use icloud then to restore all content/apps/messages/contacts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

Hi,

Hope this is the right place.
    I need help with my iPhone 3gs bb 06.15.00, new bootrom & its running 4.1 stock.
    Can anyone tell me how I Can
    1-Update my iPhone to 5.0/5.01
    2-Jailbreak my iPhone.

If anyone can help me I'd be very greatful!

Thanks,
    xxkazxx.

Advertisement