Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Download itunes and update phone to 5.0.1 that way.
    Read this thread on how to jailbreak 5.0.1 untethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

biko wrote: »
    Download itunes and update phone to 5.0.1 that way.
    Read this thread on how to jailbreak 5.0.1 untethered.

Because I updated to the ipad baseband 06.15.00 I can't put stock firmware on it apart from 4.1/4.2.1
    Thanks for the help though.
    xxkazxx

Did you try using itunes for the update anyway?
    Or using the phone itself?
    Launch the Settings app
    Tap General
    Tap Software Update
    If there’s nothing new, you’ll be told just so. Otherwise, you’ll be presented with all the details about the update.
    Tap Download and Install

Alternative you can do the update while jailbreaking the phone.
    It's explained here http://jim-zimmerman.com/?p=642

What it does is that redsnow creates a custom update file that can be jailbroken.
    You then use itunes to move the custom update file into the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Please help: I'm trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch 4 & an iPhone 4 both with 5.0.1 with redsn0w_win_0.9.10b3 but keep getting an "unexpected error" from redsn0w, anyone know what to do? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Lads I want to updates my mates 3gs from 4.01 to 5.01. He needs the unlock.
    I know how to preserve the baseband etc and jailbreak but I want to know if it is an untethered or tethered jailbreak if I preserve the baseband.

Going by iclarified http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18932
    is says its tethered however, this was written on Dec 22 before the untethered JB came out. Anyone know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lads I want to updates my mates 3gs from 4.01 to 5.01. He needs the unlock.
    I know how to preserve the baseband etc and jailbreak but I want to know if it is an untethered or tethered jailbreak if I preserve the baseband.

Going by iclarified http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18932
    is says its tethered however, this was written on Dec 22 before the untethered JB came out. Anyone know for sure?
    It will be untethered

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I have to say, besides from the odd springboard crashes, the new JB is working a treat. FaceTime over 3G has zero issues. Just had a 10 minute call on it there, no problems. I installed infinifolders but that killed my 4. Had to do a few hard resets to get it restarted and removed from cydia.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mufc2010

need to unlock my iphone 8gb 3g
    4.2.1 firmware
    bassband-15-15-04
    bootloader- 6.4-m3s2

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I installed 3gUnrestrictor about 10 minutes ago. Killed all my Internet and subsequent apps! Removed it and all ok again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

edit-it just started working. thanks.

• Advertisement

mufc2010 wrote: »
    need to unlock my iphone 8gb 3g
    4.2.1 firmware
    bassband-15-15-04
    bootloader- 6.4-m3s2
    request an unlock from o2 or else use redsn0w to install the ipad bb and unlock using ultrsn0w, be careful though cos updating to the ipad bb is irreversible and has it's own problems

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

lads is there a way to unlock iphone 4 now with out the use of a gevey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Pod2g hopes a untethered jailbreak for 4s and iPad2 is out next week :)

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-4s-ipad-2-untethered-release-confirmed-for-next-week/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Jesus, just reading this makes my eyes hurt. He must be one sharp lad:eek: http://pod2g-ios.blogspot.com/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

at his speed of Jailbreaking the a5, i expect him to be working for apple within 12 months!

By far the fastest JBer to date!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

eeloe wrote: »
    at his speed of Jailbreaking the a5, i expect him to be working for apple within 12 months!

By far the fastest JBer to date!

Yep sadly it could happen. I don't understand why Apple don't include most of the great stuff you can get through jailbreaks in their IOS. For example SBSettings, bitesms, custom lockscreens and themes...big potential there and yet they don't include them in their software. I love my iphone but its 3 times better when I can access the jailbreak and customise my phone. In my opinion their is not alot of difference now between the top iPhone and Android phones now, but the jailbreak is the deal clincher for me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I know this may have been asked a lot already, but how easy is it to unlock a 3gs without the code from the network? Are there any disadvantages eg is it possible to upgrade to iOS 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

http://twitter.com/pod2g

pod2g pod2g
    Yes, upgrade your 4S and iPad 2 to 5.0.1.
    15 hours ago

pod2g pod2g
    I made a step today for the A5. With some luck we could expect a release in a week.

SWEET!!!

It depends what firmware and baseband is on the phone. Look in settings>general>about. Version is the firmware and modem firmware is the baseband

Thanks, haven't got the phone yet but I know it is a relatively recent version

• Advertisement

Yes, it is easy to unlock the phone without the code from the network but it means you must first jailbreak the phone and then use a thing called ultrasnow.
    Once you have the phone read through the last pages in the sticky in this forum, "Jailbreak etc"

Ok perfect I just wanted to confirm that, thanks for your replies

Mind, it can be tricky to jailbreak the phone if you're new at it. But have a go, first time I did it I was at it for a full day trying various things.

Also if you want to sell the phone it won't be unlocked for real, if the you or a buyer makes a software update then phone will be locked again and will need jailbreaking and ultrasnow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

With the impending jailbreak for A5 devices on the way am i right in thinking there should also be a greater chance of an ultrasnow type unlock for iphone 4s's on the way too? I presume a jb of A5 will lead to the unlock too?
    Im thinking a second hand 4s might be more attractive now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

barryd09 wrote: »
    With the impending jailbreak for A5 devices on the way am i right in thinking there should also be a greater chance of an ultrasnow type unlock for iphone 4s's on the way too? I presume a jb of A5 will lead to the unlock too?
    Im thinking a second hand 4s might be more attractive now?
    Been waiting for a jailbreak before getting a 4S myself. I wouldn't be too hopeful of te unlock though as other than Gevey sims there hasn't been an unlock since 4.0.1 other than for people that kept their baseband when updating

Been waiting for a jailbreak before getting a 4S myself. I wouldn't be too hopeful of te unlock though as other than Gevey sims there hasn't been an unlock since 4.0.1 other than for people that kept their baseband when updating

Ok,cool. But a jb is the first step towards an unlock?

Ok,cool. But a jb is the first step towards an unlock?
    An unlock can't be done unless a phone is jailbroken so yes but it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll find an unlock

An unlock can't be done unless a phone is jailbroken so yes but it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll find an unlock

Right, i understand so! Gives me hope though,dont fancy another locked phone after my current contract though,like a lot of people id imagine.

Right, i understand so! Gives me hope though,dont fancy another locked phone after my current contract though,like a lot of people id imagine.
    If you ring your network they should unlock it for you at the end of your contract. O2 and Vodafone are fairly reliable for it and do it within contract sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

If the phone is on a relatively new firmware 4+, you will be on a baseband not supported by ultrasn0w and may need to load on the irreversible "ipad baseband", which may have its own consequences

Advertisement