Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hey guys be great if someone could help me with this.

I have a Jailbroken 3GS on version 4.0.1, firmware 05.13.04. Can I upgrade to the latest ios 5 & jailbreak again?

Thanks in advance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hey guys be great if someone could help me with this.

I have a Jailbroken 3GS on version 4.0.1, firmware 05.13.04. Can I upgrade to the latest ios 5 & jailbreak again?

Thanks in advance ;)

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

sandt wrote: »
    ok this is a bit long winded but bear with me!!

i have a friend of mines iphone 3gs originally from america, it was unlocked a working here fine, but my friend went into the reset options to delete contacts etc. and it lost the unlock+ jailbreak. it then wouldnt even charge for him.

so i got it into DFU and had to do a restore through itunes which brought it up to 5.0.1 and re-locked it. I have followed this guide to try and unlock it again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNK_ZXqF6r0&feature=g-like&context=G204ae57ALTv2xBQAAAA

but this hasnt worked. ive tried it 3 times and each time it comes up with the "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone" message comes up. ive checked with TinyUmberella and the phone is on 5.0.1 with baseband 06.15.00 which i think should be able to be unlocked.

any ideas what i'm doing wrong??

thanks
    DYLF wrote: »
    how did you restore if its on 06.15.00?

Jailbreak and install ultrasn0w. should then be ok

I guess redsn0w managed to flash the baseband but it still wont work, do you know of a guide to do this because everytime i try it keeps coming back with the "insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate iphone" message

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

isnt there a Network lock as well as a SIM lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Possible Noob question on my mates 3GS...
    Can you downgrade the baseband on the 3GS by downgrading firmware from 5.01 to 4.1? (As I have the SHSH blobs saved for them)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't think there's an untethered jailbreak for 5.0, you'll either have to update to 5.0.1 or remain tethered.

thats my problem! redsnow doesnt seem to recognise 5.0.1 frimware. anyone know how to update the firmware to a custom 5.0.1 that preserves the baseband? from there i can do the jailbreak then..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

theliam wrote: »
    thats my problem! redsnow doesnt seem to recognise 5.0.1 frimware. anyone know how to update the firmware to a custom 5.0.1 that preserves the baseband? from there i can do the jailbreak then..

just realised there is a newer redsnow, ill try that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Possible Noob question on my mates 3GS...
    Can you downgrade the baseband on the 3GS by downgrading firmware from 5.01 to 4.1? (As I have the SHSH blobs saved for them)?
    no you cant downgrade the baseband on a 3gs

[[/QUOTE]
    no you cant downgrade the baseband on a 3gs[/Quote]

****e, that's what I thought. Here is his issue. He got his O2 3GS unlocked by them and ever since his reception is quite poor. Infant it has no service alot of the time. Any ideas? Done a restore etc. was hoping installing Ultrasnow might fix it (even though he does not need it). When I installed it on 5.01 the phone had no service all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

[
    no you cant downgrade the baseband on a 3gs[/Quote]

****e, that's what I thought. Here is his issue. He got his O2 3GS unlocked by them and ever since his reception is quite poor. Infant it has no service alot of the time. Any ideas? Done a restore etc. was hoping installing Ultrasnow might fix it (even though he does not need it). When I installed it on 5.01 the phone had no service all the time[/QUOTE]
    Official unlock....then no need for all the dickin around. Strange problem though. Wipe everything again and setup as new phone.

• Advertisement

Yep, I have heard of it before. Might try that but think I have done it before

have you tried resetting network settings

guil wrote: »
    have you tried resetting network settings

Ye I have exhausted every avenue I think mate, as Ultrasnow was my last real go at fixing it....its just odd..was grand before Apple sent the unlock code. Its ok, still useable but its a pain in the ass

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally some new tweets from pod2g, looking like he is making progress on the iPad2 JB, no eta yet though :(

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Finally some new tweets from pod2g, looking like he is making progress on the iPad2 JB, no eta yet though :(

Yes P0sixninja said its all going very smooth since....its so sad how many times a day I check their twitter for updates...this jailbreak has consumed me and for that I am ashamed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes P0sixninja said its all going very smooth since....its so sad how many times a day I check their twitter for updates...this jailbreak has consumed me and for that I am ashamed

I know your shame...
    And all because my wife deleted iMame off of the iPad2!
    I have no other way of reinstalling it!

I even went as far as getting an ipa of it from... somewhere, hoping that because I had legitimately bought it I might sneak it back onto the device...
    Who the frak was I kidding!
    Nope, not a chance.
    The dev says that they are working on a non-Mame branded version that will have the same functionality but I have no idea when that might be.

If and when it emerges I'll just restore the iPad2 with itunes and install it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Yman69

I have a Vodafone ready to go phone but im getting a present of an iphone 4s from my girlfriend who got an upgrade from the 3 network. Outside of getting an unlock from 3 is there any way of unlocking it? I dont want to switch network or go from ready to go.

Id prefer to do this properly but if necessary i guess id have to go down the route of jailbreaking it?

Yman69 wrote: »
    I have a Vodafone ready to go phone but im getting a present of an iphone 4s from my girlfriend who got an upgrade from the 3 network. Outside of getting an unlock from 3 is there any way of unlocking it? I dont want to switch network or go from ready to go.

Id prefer to do this properly but if necessary i guess id have to go down the route of jailbreaking it?
    only 3 can unlock it

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

ok this is a bit long winded but bear with me!!

i have a friend of mines iphone 3gs originally from america, it was unlocked a working here fine, but my friend went into the reset options to delete contacts etc. and it lost the unlock+ jailbreak. it then wouldnt even charge for him.

so i got it into DFU and had to do a restore through itunes which brought it up to 5.0.1 and re-locked it. I have followed this guide to try and unlock it again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNK_ZXqF6r0&feature=g-like&context=G204ae57ALTv2xBQAAAA

but this hasnt worked. ive tried it 3 times and each time it comes up with the "Only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone" message comes up. ive checked with TinyUmberella and the phone is on 5.0.1 with baseband 06.15.00 which i think should be able to be unlocked.

any ideas what i'm doing wrong??

thanks

Anyone got any ideas for me?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Here's the story:

Person A had iPhone 4.
    A loses iPhone 4.
    Vodafone replace iPhone.
    4 months later the original one is found.
    A gives original iphone to Person B.
    B is on 3 network.
    B connects iPhone to iTunes to restore it and upgrade OS. iPhone will not activate without SIM.
    B needs to network unlock the iPhone and get micro SIM from 3.
    Will B be able to get this network unlocked on Moore St in its current state?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

podge018 wrote: »
    Here's the story:

Person A had iPhone 4.
    A loses iPhone 4.
    Vodafone replace iPhone.
    4 months later the original one is found.
    A gives original iphone to Person B.
    B is on 3 network.
    B connects iPhone to iTunes to restore it and upgrade OS. iPhone will not activate without SIM.
    B needs to network unlock the iPhone and get micro SIM from 3.
    Will B be able to get this network unlocked on Moore St in its current state?
    Nope. You can activate it with a Vodafon sim though.

so once it's activated by a vodafone SIM then it can be network unlocked by a 3rd party?

so once it's activated by a vodafone SIM then it can be network unlocked by a 3rd party?
    No the new iOS currently can't be unlocked by anyone other than the network. Its possibly IMEI blocked now too so that wouldn't even work. What you now probably have is an iPod

Would it have updated to the new OS without being activated? I wasn't watching the restore process.

Sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Anyone got any ideas for me?????

A similar thing happened to me a few months back when I updated to ios5, it tooks days to figure it out but it turned out the iPhone I bought 2nd hand was a replacement iphone, and the iphone I had it's IMEI number locked/registered to the iPhone it replaced. Apple sorted it out but you might have to try and find the original IMEI number if this is the case with yours.

Would it have updated to the new OS without being activated? I wasn't watching the restore process.

Sorry for all the questions.

It depends on whether you just did a reset or a restore through iTunes. Your best place to start is by activating with a Vodafone sim. Once activated if it doesn't get a signal then it means its been blocked and theres nothing you can do. You can check the firmware once activated then.If its below 5 you should be able to unlock using a Gevey sim.

I just got it going with an unactivated vodafone SIM if you get my drift. It's on version 5.0.1. Bugger. No way of getting that onto Three then without going to vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

Hi,

Is it possible to get a 4S unlocked yet?...i travel to the UK alot and its quite annoying having to phones at the moment!

no not yet

• Advertisement

I had the iphone 4 in with a lad in a chinese shop today and he said I can definitely get a iPhone 4 (vodafone IE) on 5.0.1 network unlocked.

Advertisement