Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jbv

Iphone 4 jailbroken from the first day. Had 4.2.1 for almost a year. Upgraded to 5.01 and jailbreak with redsnow. For 2 days my iphone was an expensive paper weight. Crashed after installing 1 app. Had to remove the battery in order to start. I will stay away from jailbreak 5.0.1 for now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,583 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

hello , a bit of advise needed

i had my iphone 4 jailbroke on 4.3 , but i am selling it to my sister.

the reset was not working, so as i had seen there was a jailbrake for 5.01 i restored my iphone, then jailbroke it to 5.01

jailbrake went fine, but it will not recognize my sim card (not a sim from o2 which was who i originally got it from)

i contacted o2 to get my phone unlocked, they told me after a week to connect to itunes with a sim from another network to unlock. i did this but nothing at all happens when i connect, and sync ??

i know now i should have kept the original baseband. i was a bit hasty rushing through the whole thing as my sister was at me to hurry up !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

hello

excuse my ignorance, im new to all this jailbreaking stuff but I would like to jailbreak my phone.

my phone is an iphone 4s running IOS 5.0.1, it has never been jailbroken or messed with before

I suppose before I go any further, first question I need to ask is, can the above phone and IOS be jailbroken ?

and also im looking for an **untethered** jailbreak

obi604 wrote: »
    hello

excuse my ignorance, im new to all this jailbreaking stuff but I would like to jailbreak my phone.

my phone is an iphone 4s running IOS 5.0.1, it has never been jailbroken or messed with before

I suppose before I go any further, first question I need to ask is, can the above phone and IOS be jailbroken ?

and also im looking for an **untethered** jailbreak

yes can be jailbroken, use redsn0w , look up tutorials, it's fairly easy. just do some research first. i have had trouble getting my old iphone 4 to find any network since i did it.

if you have the iphone 4s, i do not believe there is a jailbrake yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

2smiggy wrote: »
    yes can be jailbroken, use redsn0w , look up tutorials, it's fairly easy. just do some research first. i have had trouble getting my old iphone 4 to find any network since i did it.

if you have the iphone 4s, i do not believe there is a jailbrake yet

1. if I jalibreak my iphone, will all the apps/settings I had before the jailbreak still be there as normal ?

2. is it possible to remove the jailbreak in the future so that the phone is as it was before a jailbreak happened ??

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    1. if I jalibreak my iphone, will all the apps/settings I had before the jailbreak still be there as normal ?

2. is it possible to remove the jailbreak in the future so that the phone is as it was before a jailbreak happened ??

here explains how to keep your apps after the jailbrake.

you can restore your phone after the jailbrake, and it will be like it was before. just have to look up about the sim card situation. like i said i cannot get my three sim to work in my o2 jailbroken iphone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Just got a 3gs and haven't even turned it on yet, it is new and on o2 (but I don't have a sim card from o2), so going to unlock it and use it on Meteor.

Anyone know where I start?

Just got a 3gs and haven't even turned it on yet, it is new and on o2 (but I don't have a sim card from o2), so going to unlock it and use it on Meteor.

Anyone know where I start?

if your baseband is 04.11.08 , you cannot unlock it to other networks, other than getting the official unlock off o2

go to settings - about - your baseband is listed as 'modem'

if you have an older baseband, do research about how to keep you rolder baseband before jailbraking as you do not want to change to 04.11.08

i finally got mine to unlock using the official unlock, using this tutorial link

took me ages to figure out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

if your baseband is 04.11.08 , you cannot unlock it to other networks, other than getting the official unlock off o2

if you have an older baseband, do research about how to keep you rolder baseband before jailbraking as you do not want to change to 04.11.08

i finally got mine to unlock using the official unlock, using this tutorial link

04.11.08 is a baseband for an iphone 4, the 3GS will have a different baseband, if it's anything higher than 05.13.04 the only way to unlock is to install the ipad baseband or request it from o2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

£25 to get O2 iPhones unloced on unlockguru.co.uk

Never used it for getting an iPhone unlocked but have used for other phones no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Saw a tweet recently from a hacker, Sherif something or other and he claims hes made a big step towards unlocking the newer basebands, 04.11.08 was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

barryd09 wrote: »
    Saw a tweet recently from a hacker, Sherif something or other and he claims hes made a big step towards unlocking the newer basebands, 04.11.08 was mentioned.
    its sherif_hashim or something similar, i'm nearly sure he said the same after 4.1 was released

Thanks for the replies, do I need an o2 sim card to activate the phone in the first place?

Thanks for the replies, do I need an o2 sim card to activate the phone in the first place?
    Yes unless you get it properly unlocked first. Wouldnt hold my breadth on an unlock. It was 4.3.3 he thought he was close with last but never happened. That Sherif guy is a brain surgeon tho so if anyone could do it!

Ok thanks, I'm hoping to get an official unlock, that will work without the sim-card so?

Ok thanks, I'm hoping to get an official unlock, that will work without the sim-card so?
    Yes once an official unlock goes through it can be activated with any sim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

They jailbroke a 4s :) hopefully released soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Hopefully any day now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hopefully any day now:D

They are really dragging this out now. The communication between the group is terrible, just look at the tweets between Musclenerd, P0sixninja and Planetbeing....its a pain in the @ss at this stage.

I put a meteor sim in my 3gs (unactivated insurance replacement from o2) and it worked, does this mean it was never locked?

• Advertisement

I put a meteor sim in my 3gs (unactivated insurance replacement from o2) and it worked, does this mean it was never locked?
    Yup

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

They are really dragging this out now. The communication between the group is terrible, just look at the tweets between Musclenerd, P0sixninja and Planetbeing....its a pain in the @ss at this stage.

just wondering.. Have you donated to them? thanked them in any way for their work? done anything yourself at all? i doubt it. why do poeple just expect a jailbreak for nothing and refuse to donate like they have a right to a jailbreak. these people put hours upon hours of their own time into this (usually after coming home from a 9-5 job) and all they get is abuse and people moaning that they havent released it quick enough.
    if you want it sooner learn to do it yourself. otherwise STFU moaning and have some patience.:mad:

DYLF wrote: »
    just wondering.. Have you donated to them? thanked them in any way for their work? done anything yourself at all? i doubt it. why do poeple just expect a jailbreak for nothing and refuse to donate like they have a right to a jailbreak. these people put hours upon hours of their own time into this (usually after coming home from a 9-5 job) and all they get is abuse and people moaning that they havent released it quick enough.
    if you want it sooner learn to do it yourself. otherwise STFU moaning and have some patience.:mad:

You have obviously misunderstood me... Maybe you should think before you speak.

Of course I do appreciate how much work goes into it. And considering there are only 10 people ever who have ever been able to jailbreak the iphone I don't think it is prudent for me to even try to develop my own. Just to inform you I have thanks Pod2g on many occasions through tweets and his blog thanking him for his hard work. And even more importantly I have donated to every person I have used a jailbreak. Please DM me if you want me to send you my paypal proof of Donations. I also pay for my cydia apps...DO YOU? Be honest!!!!

I was simply venting my frustrations at the continous delay of the release considering 5.1 is nearly out which could force us to lose out on the jailbreak.

But while we are here I have grown frustrated with the whole continuous vague updates, missed deadlines etc. But what really annoyed me was when Posixninja's girlfriends tweeted looking for his followers to send some 'motivation' to work on it ie more donations. That to me was a kicker. Don't be naive they are not doing it for the good of their health. If so why does every webapage they have show a donate button at the top. Don't get me wrong I am not saying they shouldn't get any donations for their hard work but don't be fooled into thinking they are martyr's.

You do not have to agree with me but i have a point.
    I hate when someone behind a computer tell another to STFU for having an opinion. I wonder would they be so brave saying that if they were having the conversation face to face.

And lastly I will again donate for this jailbreak too even though is has been nothing but frustrating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding people "misunderstanding" you, as you put it...

So, according to this post,
    You feel they are deliberately prolonging the wait for the jailbreak? After it has been stated, again and again, that the A5 based devices are particularly difficult and pose serious barriers to jailbreaking?

The communication between the group is terrible? Don't we have co-operation between geographically disparate people who, working together, despite language barriers, have broken the sandbox issue with the A5?

What's a pain in the ass?
    The wait?
    It's not so long since the older Apple devices were JB'd and the new hardware poses certain new problems, people should have patience.

As for the reply to DYLF, you start by claiming to be misunderstood which is wrong in itself, you only now make clear what you were talking about in the above quoted post of yours.
    Then you continue on to personally insulting him.
    Not the best online etiquette I believe and not too far from breaching boards.ie guidelines and rules as it is.
    To be honest what drives the people behind the JB doesn't interest me in the slightest, couldn't give a toss.
    More important is the JB itself and, well, I'm getting it for nothing so it'll be ready when it's ready.

Oh, and how exactly can one be "forced" to update to 5.1?
    That's a bit of hyperbole right there.

Once again, why not, in future, wait until the JB is released then donate, that way you can salve your conscience for illegally tampering with Apples IP after the heinous act and you can feel somewhat less like you have some stake and therefore justification in having it released to some "timetable"?

I think we'd all be happier all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Calm it, lads.

Well my worry is 5.1 will drop before the jailbreak so Apple will stop signing 5.01. And if the jailbreak was unstable in anyway or it was installed incorrectly it may cause so issue needing a restore which is not possible with A5 devices at the moment.

Look I didn't release my comment over me being impatient was going to stoke the fires of hell and cause such offence. I do apologise if I have some way offended DYLF although I cannot see how I did.

Anyway I think we should all hug it out :)

On my last note I fear this is one of the last jailbreaks we will see as Apple are doing so well at closing them and they have hired ex hackers to close these exploits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

...On my last note I fear this is one of the last jailbreaks we will see as Apple are doing so well at closing them and they have hired ex hackers to close these exploits.

I think you're right. I don't think I'll bother with the new JB when it comes. The only tweak I used on my JB'd iPad was FullForce. iMessage, Siri and reminders are keeping me more than happy.

naasrd wrote: »
    I think you're right. I don't think I'll bother with the new JB when it comes. The only tweak I used on my JB'd iPad was FullForce. iMessage, Siri and reminders are keeping me more than happy.

I love tweaking the lockscreens, SBS settings is very handy too. Apple could get rid of the need for jailbreaks if they incorporated alot of the jailbreak stuff in their software. I hate the lockscreen with the big digital clock and black shaded background. Sure they could allow you to create your own. I wonder with Steve Jobs gone will Apple lose their edge on phone development. Although I am sure he is not the only reason why they have been so successful to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I love tweaking the lockscreens, SBS settings is very handy too. Apple could get rid of the need for jailbreaks if they incorporated alot of the jailbreak stuff in their software. I hate the lockscreen with the big digital clock and black shaded background. Sure they could allow you to create your own. I wonder with Steve Jobs gone will Apple lose their edge on phone development. Although I am sure he is not the only reason why they have been so successful to date.

It is odd that they don't incorporate the jailbreak stuff, it could be done overnight and essentially put and end to jailbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

naasrd wrote: »
    It is odd that they don't incorporate the jailbreak stuff, it could be done overnight and essentially put and end to jailbreaking.

People will still jailbreak and look to do new things with it...
    Look at the notifications screen, originally a jb program , they hired the guy and now it's part of IOS...same goes for a lot of other jb programs.

My own pet theory is Apple deliberately leave this exploits in etc to see what the jailbreak community come up with next and then they'll look at how they can then use it in iOS.
    It basically saves them millions on develeopment having someone else do the work for them.
    The day you can't jailbreak your iphone or indeed any device will be a sad sad day and we'd be back to the way Nokia had it with symbian and basically take it as you were given it.:(

Advertisement