Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Blazer wrote: »
    People will still jailbreak and look to do new things with it...
    Look at the notifications screen, originally a jb program , they hired the guy and now it's part of IOS...same goes for a lot of other jb programs.

My own pet theory is Apple deliberately leave this exploits in etc to see what the jailbreak community come up with next and then they'll look at how they can then use it in iOS.
    It basically saves them millions on develeopment having someone else do the work for them.
    The day you can't jailbreak your iphone or indeed any device will be a sad sad day and we'd be back to the way Nokia had it with symbian and basically take it as you were given it.:(

The one JB tweak I really miss is My3g, especially when I want to download an app that's over 20mb. Before that MiWi was a favourite and they killed that off with personal hotspot, so I guess your theory is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Need Quick Reply from Bitesms next it's annoying having to leave whatever you're doing to reply to a text .

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

culabula wrote: »
    Calm it, lads.

oh dear lord... what have i started??

On my last note I fear this is one of the last jailbreaks we will see as Apple are doing so well at closing them and they have hired ex hackers to close these exploits.

Unfortunately I suspect you're right. I wouldn't use a jailed iPhone in it's current state - a lack of jailbreak would surely push me to Android for my next phone. The only reason I jailbreak is to add features the phone should have anyway, if these were put in then I might not care so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

DYLF wrote: »
    culabula wrote: »
    Calm it, lads.

oh dear lord... what have i started??

Me, you and CiDeRmAn have to hug it out..... And then skip through a field of flowers singing songs of joy :)

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »

Unfortunately I suspect you're right. I wouldn't use a jailed iPhone in it's current state - a lack of jailbreak would surely push me to Android for my next phone. The only reason I jailbreak is to add features the phone should have anyway, if these were put in then I might not care so much.

Me too. The Android phones are so close to a iPhone that the only thing that really sets them apart for me is the jailbreak. Sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Hi all, i have a jailbroken iPhone 3gs. Its an o2 phone but i had a meteor simcard, but now im after switching to o2 so i can use the iphone legitimatly.
    If i upgrade to the latest IOS will i lose all my numbers and photos etc? I know ill lose all my jailbroken apps, but what about my personal data?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

gaatipstr wrote: »
    Hi all, i have a jailbroken iPhone 3gs. Its an o2 phone but i had a meteor simcard, but now im after switching to o2 so i can use the iphone legitimatly.
    If i upgrade to the latest IOS will i lose all my numbers and photos etc? I know ill lose all my jailbroken apps, but what about my personal data?
    Thanks

DO NOT update while its jailbroken, otherwise you will brick your iPhone.

On itunes, with the iphone connected, right click on the iphone on the right hand tab, click backup. This backs up all your settings ,messages, etc.
    If your photo's and numbers are stored on your comp you should have no problem syncing them again to your iphone.

Now after the backup, do a 'Restore' on the iphone, it resets it to factory settings, and updates it to the latest software.

Once this is complete, you can setup the iphone by restoring from backup, this remembers your previous apps also. Ovb it wont sync apps got through the jailbreak system.

But the main thing is DO NOT UPDATE WHILE JAILBROKEN, restore it to factory settings first, then update, then restore settings from the backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

mcw92 wrote: »
    DO NOT update while its jailbroken, otherwise you will brick your iPhone
    Not true
    As long as your baseband wasn't updated to 06.15.00 you can update in iTunes no problem and you will loose nothing except your hacked apps/cydia tweaks. I've done this with literally hundreds of iphones over the last couple of years.
    YOU WILL NOT BRICK YOUR PHONE

If however your baseband was updated to 06.15.00 you need to backup the iphone in iTunes. Then open redsn0w, select extras and create a preserved baseband firmware from an Original 5.0.1, then in extras again put the phone in pwned DFU mode.
    Open iTunes and shift(option on mac) and click restore and select newly created firmware.
    You will then be on an unjailbroken 5.0.1, you can then jailbreak normally if you wish. Even if you don't jailbreak you will have this issue every update because the baseband was updated to 06.15.00

Just to also note your apps are NOT stored in your backup so you'll need to sync your apps in iTunes first if you don't want to loose them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

As long as your baseband wasn't updated to 06.15.00 you can update in iTunes no problem and you will loose nothing except your hacked apps/cydia tweaks.
    YOU WILL NOT BRICK YOUR PHONE

I was under the impression that with any jailbreak on the iPhone, an update would brick it? Whats the difference with the baseband?

• Advertisement

mcw92 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that with any jailbreak on the iPhone, an update would brick it? Whats the difference with the baseband?
    Nope, I done it tonight with a jailbroken 3gs on 4.2.1
    The 06.15.00 baseband was made for the iPad but some people put it onto the 3GS in order to use ultrasn0w unlock, iTunes update notices this during the final stages of installing and fails leaving your iPhone stuck in recovery mode.
    You can exit this mode just sometimes it's more tricky than others.

So to update my phone do I have to install redsn0w?
    Could it not be simplier to restore the iphone to factory settings then update using itunes to the latest IOS?

As above post #3, as long as your baseband is NOT 06.15.00, just make sure you sync apps & backup before you restore/update

My baseband is 06.15.00

So does that mean that if i back up my data before hand and then update it will be succesfull?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

You can't just click update in iTunes with that baseband, google "cooked 3GS 4.2.1 ipsw" and download it. Hold shift and then click restore and look for the ipsw you downloaded and select it

gaatipstr wrote: »
    My baseband is 06.15.00

So does that mean that if i back up my data before hand and then update it will be succesfull?

That's an irreversible unofficial firmware modification.
    You need to now follow the directions below now and every time an update is released.
    Either do what guil said above or follow the instructions below to create your own firmware.

Backup the iphone in iTunes. Then open redsn0w(latest build), select extras and create a preserved baseband firmware from an Original 5.0.1, then in extras again put the phone in pwned DFU mode.
    Open iTunes and shift(option on mac) and click restore and select newly created firmware.
    You will then be on an unjailbroken 5.0.1, you can then jailbreak normally if you wish. Even if you don't jailbreak you will have this issue every update because the baseband was updated to 06.15.00

Just to also note your apps are NOT stored in your backup so you'll need to sync your apps in iTunes first if you don't want to loose them

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to unlock an iPhone 4S. I'm going to South Africa next month so obviously the roaming charges will be massive. I'm with Three, and they have told me I need to pay up the rest of my contract which they calculated at 800 quid to get the phone unlocked!!!!! I had my 3GS with 02 and they unlocked it for free!

So I've tried the links to iClarified mentioned here, and the 4S is not listed. I'm just wondering does anyone have any other links or recommendations on how to do it? Never attempted to unlock a phone before and don't know the first thing about it, so as simple as possible!!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Quarrybaby wrote: »
    Hello, I'm looking for some advice on how to unlock an iPhone 4S. I'm going to South Africa next month so obviously the roaming charges will be massive. I'm with Three, and they have told me I need to pay up the rest of my contract which they calculated at 800 quid to get the phone unlocked!!!!! I had my 3GS with 02 and they unlocked it for free!

So I've tried the links to iClarified mentioned here, and the 4S is not listed. I'm just wondering does anyone have any other links or recommendations on how to do it? Never attempted to unlock a phone before and don't know the first thing about it, so as simple as possible!!

Thanks.

Sorry mate its not possible unless 3 do it for you

So are you saying it's not possible to unlock an iPhone 4S at this time unless it's done legitimately by your service provider? I see a lot of those shops on Moore St in Dublin advertising that they can unlock any phone, but I'm a bit dubious about them in case the phone gets bricked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Quarrybaby wrote: »
    So are you saying it's not possible to unlock an iPhone 4S at this time unless it's done legitimately by your service provider? I see a lot of those shops on Moore St in Dublin advertising that they can unlock any phone, but I'm a bit dubious about them in case the phone gets bricked.

Yes they may be able if they know someone in the network but ive only heard of this for Vodafone and O2. No harm in popping in but theres definitely no unofficial unlock available

• Advertisement

OK, thanks discombobulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

Hi, just wondering could anyone tell me what is the best way to jailbreak my iphone 3gs. Its on vodafone and is version 4.3 . Thanks in advance!

Hi, just wondering could anyone tell me what is the best way to jailbreak my iphone 3gs. Its on vodafone and is version 4.3 . Thanks in advance!

Are you on 4.3.3?

If so here is the best guide for you

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Hi there,
    My roommate bought a 3gs iphone from ebay jailbroken and unlocked. However when she plugged it into itunes she updated it and now can't use her sim card (meteor) on it. She tried the ultrasn0w unlock but it didn't work.

I've been reading up and know she shouldn't have done the update through itunes. Is it a lost cause or can it be fixed??

Is it a lost cause or can it be fixed??

Without knowing the full details I would say yes as she is probably on 5.01 if she updated through itunes. Can you find out her baseband to be sure? The only other option she has is to get it unlocked from Apple.

Without knowing the full details I would say yes as she is probably on 5.01 if she updated through itunes. Can you find out her baseband to be sure? The only other option she has is to get it unlocked from Apple.
    It doesn't say where it's supposed to about the firmware so i'm not sure but think it's 6.15.00.

The version is 5.0.1(9A405) if that's any good.

Would restoring factory settings do anything??

It doesn't say where it's supposed to about the firmware so i'm not sure but think it's 6.15.00.

Sadly she is locked to the network unless she can get if officially unlocked from Apple.

Some people use Geveys sims to use locked phones but I amm unsure if they will work in this situtation.

Restoring the factory settings will not change the baseband back to the old one and sadly with the 3GS there is no way to downgrade basebands.

Maybe she could try ask the original owner (in this case the seller) to request the phone be unlocked by their network. At the end of contracts or in the case of Prepay, if they topped up by €150 during the lifetime of the phone, they can usually request the network to send a unlock request to Apple free of charge.

Sadly she is locked to the network unless she can get if officially unlocked from Apple.

Some people use Geveys sims to use locked phones but I amm unsure if they will work in this situtation.

Restoring the factory settings will not change the baseband back to the old one and sadly with the 3GS there is no way to downgrade basebands.

Maybe she could try ask the original owner (in this case the seller) to request the phone be unlocked by their network. At the end of contracts or in the case of Prepay, if they topped up by €150 during the lifetime of the phone, they can usually request the network to send a unlock request to Apple free of charge.

Cool, I'll pass along the info.
    Thanks for your help.

are you sure the baseband is 06.15.00
    if so a restore in itunes would of failed

• Advertisement

are you sure the baseband is 06.15.00
    if so a restore in itunes would of failed

Advertisement