Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Any ideas on how to unlock a 5 on Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Duff wrote: »
    Any ideas on how to unlock a 5 on Vodafone?

Spend €120 on credit and then they will unlock it. Or they might do it if your a bill customer free ring customer care and they will tell you

fox007 wrote: »
    Spend €120 on credit and then they will unlock it. Or they might do it if your a bill customer free ring customer care and they will tell you

My dad got it on an upgrade and doesn't like it so gave it to me. I'll get him to try customer care in the morning so. Cheers.

Duff wrote: »

My dad got it on an upgrade and doesn't like it so gave it to me. I'll get him to try customer care in the morning so. Cheers.

Or just get a nano sim from Vodafone and use it pay as you go

Or just get a nano sim from Vodafone and use it pay as you go

That's plan B but I'm with 48 at the minute and their deal is just too good to leave. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Could i upgrade an I phone 3g to the latest 4g firmware myself?

Could i upgrade an I phone 3g to the latest 4g firmware myself?

3G is not the firmware it's the model number.To update the firmware simply connect the iPhone to iTunes and press update BUT if your phone is unlocked and jail broke you will loose both!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

culabula wrote: »
    Why would you pay to get an O2.ie iPhone unlocked when they unlock them on request for free?
    They won't always do it unless the original owner requests it, how do you know the op didn't buy it from someone thinking they could get it unlocked?
    How do you know the op didn't leave o2 without finishing a contract?

I know from first hand experience that o2 don't blacklist all phones if you don't pay the bill

3G is not the firmware it's the model number.To update the firmware simply connect the iPhone to iTunes and press update BUT if your phone is unlocked and jail broke you will loose both!!

So would it be as current as the 4s once i updated it?

So would it be as current as the 4s once i updated it?
    If it's an iPhone 3G you can only update it to 4.2.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 freddydared

First post on this, so not sure if this is the right place but I just got an iPhone 3gs from my sister, who in turn got it from a friend (no, its not stolen :rolleyes:). It has no sim card in it and it's restored. It wont activate with the sim from my blackberry (vodafone) and I dont know what carrier the guy was with. Should I unlock the phone or could I just go to the vodafone shop (the carrier im with) and they sort it out?

First post on this, so not sure if this is the right place but I just got an iPhone 3gs from my sister, who in turn got it from a friend (no, its not stolen :rolleyes:). It has no sim card in it and it's restored. It wont activate with the sim from my blackberry (vodafone) and I dont know what carrier the guy was with. Should I unlock the phone or could I just go to the vodafone shop (the carrier im with) and they sort it out?

Try find out the original carrier ,the iPhone is useless as you cannot activate it.Get a sim from o2 and three etc (just hope its not a forgin phone) see will they work they are free so try that.once you get the iPhone activated you will be able to jailbreak and unlock it from there if you wish.

If that fails www.imei.info for €3 it will tell you what network etc the Iphone is locked to

only the network its locked to can unlock it, there is services online to find out what network a phone is locked to and costs around 2-3 euro, vodafone can't do anything unless it's locked to them

thanks for the quick replies! Ill find out the carrier so.. cheers :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anyone know if it is possible to jailbreak the Apple Tv Gen. 3? Thinking of getting one of these for media streaming but I'm not sure if you can jailbreak them.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to jailbreak the Apple Tv Gen. 3? Thinking of getting one of these for media streaming but I'm not sure if you can jailbreak them.

No, its definetely not.

And as there is no injector in the ATV3, i dont think it ever will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I'm new to this whole unlocking lark so apologies if I ask repeated questions.
    I bought a second hand iphone 4 on DD for herself and need to unlock it. I tried using this: http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/ but a week later I'm still getting: "IMEI submitted to unlock server" when I check order status.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree by going this route? Or do I just need to be a bit more patient?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'm not in the middle of learning an expensive lesson.

Edit: Oh, it's locked to O2, that I do know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Never mind, I am a dope. Fixed it myself anyway :D

AC

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Mugser wrote: »
    I'm new to this whole unlocking lark so apologies if I ask repeated questions.
    I bought a second hand iphone 4 on DD for herself and need to unlock it. I tried using this: http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/ but a week later I'm still getting: "IMEI submitted to unlock server" when I check order status.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree by going this route? Or do I just need to be a bit more patient?

Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'm not in the middle of learning an expensive lesson.

Edit: Oh, it's locked to O2, that I do know.
    An unlock can take up to 10 working days to be processed so hang tight

Try find out the original carrier ,the iPhone is useless as you cannot activate it.Get a sim from o2 and three etc (just hope its not a forgin phone) see will they work they are free so try that.once you get the iPhone activated you will be able to jailbreak and unlock it from there if you wish.

If that fails www.imei.info for €3 it will tell you what network etc the Iphone is locked to

Turns out the phone is with vodafone UK :(... So ive no sim.. the phone isnt activated.. and to make things worse its on 6.0.1.. anyone know if theres software to "hacktivate" a 3gs on 6.0.1.. Or an alternative, that wont cost a lot?

• Advertisement

Sn0wvreeze should hacktivate it but it will be a tethered jailbreak. I don't know if you could use redsn0w to downgrade the baseband to 05.13.04 to unlock using ultrasn0w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Jailbreaked my iphone 4 before on ios 5 untethered, now i'm updating to ios6 tethered but during the jailbreak when starting redsn0w and doing the whole power button and home button i keep getting 'exploit failed' and the phone stays blank till i hold down the power/home button to reset it.

Anyone come across this before or know what the issue is?
    Not a whole lot to do unless i factory reset it and try jailbreak again but rather not

KilOit wrote: »
    Jailbreaked my iphone 4 before on ios 5 untethered, now i'm updating to ios6 tethered but during the jailbreak when starting redsn0w and doing the whole power button and home button i keep getting 'exploit failed' and the phone stays blank till i hold down the power/home button to reset it.

Anyone come across this before or know what the issue is?
    Not a whole lot to do unless i factory reset it and try jailbreak again but rather not

Download and use tinyumbrella to enter or exit DFU then install the jail break

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

Hello I'm just wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a problem with iTunes.
    I am getting error 3194 when I am trying to reinstall iOS 5.1.1(which I am using currently). my iPhone is jailbroke aswell
    I tried a lot of fixs
    -cleaning the registry
    -using tiny umbrella
    -host files
    -doing it in dfu mode
    -even tried tried to restore it with redsnow
    None of the above worked so if someone could help me it would be great thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Howdy all,

Done a good bit of looking without finding the ans b4 posting this...
    Have found my iphone 4 (that had been missing for a year, and found it smashed under seat in my van... So rebuilt it me self) its locked to 3 Ireland. Its on ios 5.0 with baseband of 04.11.08.

Question is as of today: Can I jailbreak and unlock it ?
    Few links please :confused::confused:

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Howdy all,

Done a good bit of looking without finding the ans b4 posting this...
    Have found my iphone 4 (that had been missing for a year, and found it smashed under seat in my van... So rebuilt it me self) its locked to 3 Ireland. Its on ios 5.0 with baseband of 04.11.08.

Question is as of today: Can I jailbreak and unlock it ?
    Few links please :confused::confused:

Cheers

AFAIK, it's not possible to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone from the '3' network. I got stung when they refused to tell me if a phone I was buying was blacklisted or stolen. Tried in the shop and tried their customer service people twice before buying. I didn't want to promote the black market by buying a stolen phone but 3 are happy if people do that as stolen & blackilsted phones are useless anyway and the original owner or their insurer will buy another phone, probably on the same network. In the end, I bought the thing and six months later it's acting as a paperweight. Tried all sorts of things, including shops that unlock others (I've unlocked about 10 different iPhones over the last 4 years so I'm not unfamiliar with the process)

Having said all that (bitterly!), if the phone is actually yours (which you said it is) then 3 will unlock it for you if it's not blacklisted, is out of contract, wasn't replaced on insurance (if it was, the insurer owns the old one but will probably
    let you keep it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

healyron wrote: »
    AFAIK, it's not possible to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone from the '3' network. I got stung when they refused to tell me if a phone I was buying was blacklisted or stolen. Tried in the shop and tried their customer service people twice before buying. I didn't want to promote the black market by buying a stolen phone but 3 are happy if people do that as stolen & blackilsted phones are useless anyway and the original owner or their insurer will buy another phone, probably on the same network. In the end, I bought the thing and six months later it's acting as a paperweight. Tried all sorts of things, including shops that unlock others (I've unlocked about 10 different iPhones over the last 4 years so I'm not unfamiliar with the process)

Having said all that (bitterly!), if the phone is actually yours (which you said it is) then 3 will unlock it for you if it's not blacklisted, is out of contract, wasn't replaced on insurance (if it was, the insurer owns the old one but will probably
    let you keep it)

Cheers for the reply,

'AFAIK, it's not possible to jailbreak and unlock an iPhone from the '3' network'.
    Yea, my searching has led me to think the same at the moment.
    3 locked fones seem to be the most difficult to get unlocked but yep, the fone is mine, yep it was replaced by the one I have now (through insurance).
    I've sent the 3 reps a detailed mail to see if it can be officially done
    Sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 cynosure1023

Hi All, I am looking for an unlock for me iPhone 4 running ios6 and baseband 04.12.02. Its on Meteor network. Can it be unlocked? Tnx in advance.

Advertisement