Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

guil wrote: »
    Yes

once i get the the factory unlock code can i update my iphone without it locking again?

(sorry about all the questions:o)

yep if you get it unlocked via apple you can update it all you want

yep if you get it unlocked via apple you can update it all you want

via apple? will the unlock code from unlockguru.co.uk work?

i got my phone checked by www.unlockguru.co.uk and they informed me that my iphone was factory unlocked and that i could update it and it would not relock. iso i updated it and now itunes says there is no sim card in the iphone im tryin to activate and the phone says it cant activate. where did i go wrong?

TB26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i got my phone checked by www.unlockguru.co.uk and they informed me that my iphone was factory unlocked and that i could update it and it would not relock. iso i updated it and now itunes says there is no sim card in the iphone im tryin to activate and the phone says it cant activate. where did i go wrong?

TB26

Going to unlockguru. All you had to do was stick a SIM card in from another provider and you would have found out yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Am stateside at the moment in New York, my brother inlaw wants me to pick up an iPhone 3/4 for the misus.

I'm seeing 3 & 4's advertised in electronic stores around times square for about $169 saying unlocked for international use. Any one bought on of these in the past, if I buy one will It be able to update/sync or am I better off steering clear of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Anybody know if a 4s that was originally on sprint in the states is unlockable for use here? Its on 6.0.1

Id rather not go down the cydia route if possible (its not for me) and it would ideally need to be unlocked for good.
    Are there ANY legit sites that can factory unlock a 4s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

... Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Ive gone back a few pages, and am mostly reading posts about unlocking.
    I want to jailbreak and iphone 4, latest IOS software. Can anyone point me in the right direction please with a reliable website that I would give me step by step instructions and not mess up my phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

here you go..just follow the instructions and make sure you plug in your iphone before powering it off.
    Only use Redsnow..and I'm not a fan of their site since they changed it..can be very confusing so I've linked it directly to the redsnow download.
    The good news is iphone 4 is an untethered jailbreak meaning you don't have to connect it to a pc when you reboot..

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.15b3.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Hi all,
    Looking for info on this forum, a total technical disaster so excuse if what I'm asking is basic.

Bought an Iphone 5 off ebay for relatively (!) cheap - it's locked to 3 in the UK but what from I know there are many sites that will perform a factory unlock for a fee.

Does anyone know if it is legit, and which is the best one? And once the unlock is done, do I need to do anything then?

Apologies if this a basic question, but any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Interested in this as well please

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

afaik no unlock available for iphone 5 except direct from network provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

thank you, i'll give it a bash now :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Hi all,
    Looking for info on this forum, a total technical disaster so excuse if what I'm asking is basic.

Bought an Iphone 5 off ebay for relatively (!) cheap - it's locked to 3 in the UK but what from I know there are many sites that will perform a factory unlock for a fee.

Does anyone know if it is legit, and which is the best one? And once the unlock is done, do I need to do anything then?

Apologies if this a basic question, but any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Without an unlock from "3" via Apple, the only option to unlock an iPhone is to Jailbreak it. Jailbreaking is for idiots as it opens up the phone to all kinds of security flaws that expose your passwords, credit card details etc.
    If you google iPhone 5 jail break you will find info on the latest state of play for jail breaking. I believe Apple have closed a list of back doors that jail breakers were using so I don't believe there is a jailbreak available as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I got a 4S factory unlocked in Charlestown (Finglas) cost me 50 quid. I gave him my imei no. he text me the following day telling me it was done, popped a different sim into it and plugged it into iTunes and it worked perfectly. He said he could do iPhone 5s too but I didn't ask which networks he could unlock. Mine was Vodafone

The place is at the bottom of the escillators, in the carpark lobby place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

There is no jailbreak for the iPhone 5, let alone software unlock.
    In basic terms thats the 'free do it yourself option out the window'
    and its likely this will be the case for quite a while.

Your only option is to search ebay for a factory unlocking service for
    iPhone on 3UK. It can cost anywhere from 20 -100 eur but if they fail
    in successfully unlocking it they usually offer a free refund. The bad
    thing about this is the cost and the good thing about it is the phone
    will always be unlocked (unlike the software unlock method, when avail)

Once the unlock is complete you simply plug the iPhone into iTunes
    and a message will appear stating the phone is unlocked and will work
    on any network.

EDIT
    Had a quick look and it seems to be very expensive to unlock an iPhone
    on 3UK. You might be better off relisting it to the UK market and buying
    on the desired irish network. By the looks of it your talking over 100 to
    have it done which is robery. Also id imagine you would be wasting your
    time looking for an irish shop that unlocks UK iphones, and if you do
    find one the will likely be doing what you could have done yourself on ebay.
    From what ive seen irish shops only do O2 ire, vodafone ire and very
    occasionally meteor (at enormous cost)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Three-3-UK-Network-iPhone-5-Factory-Unlocking-100-Official-Permanent-/281021649925?pt=UK_Phones_Software_RL&hash=item416e321405

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

I got my 5 unlocked for €70 in Dundalk about 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Duff wrote: »
    I got my 5 unlocked for €70 in Dundalk about 3 weeks ago.

from witch network??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pat_cork

Hi
    I bought a Gevey sim and when I put it into the phone. Everything happens as described in the link but on the last step it says sim card failure, any ideas on what I could do? http://www.gevey.com/unlock-att-gsm-iphone-4/
    The phone is locked to 3 in case that matters.

Pat

pat_cork wrote: »
    Hi
    I bought a Gevey sim and when I put it into the phone. Everything happens as described in the link but on the last step it says sim card failure, any ideas on what I could do? http://www.gevey.com/unlock-att-gsm-iphone-4/
    The phone is locked to 3 in case that matters.

Pat
    What version iOS is on the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pat_cork

What version iOS is on the phone

The firmware is 4.3 and the baseband version is 04.10.01. A friend of mine told me it's guaranteed to work, I really hope he's right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

massy086 wrote: »
    from witch network??

Vodafone.

Latest rumour is for a Dec 22nd jailbreak.

http://www.techglued.com/ios_6-0-1_untethered_jailbreak_dream_jb/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

naasrd wrote: »

you seem to be posting this quite a bit..not only in this thread but you felt the need to create 2 threads for it..why?
    find it a bit suspicious really..

Blazer wrote: »
    you seem to be posting this quite a bit..not only in this thread but you felt the need to create 2 threads for it..why?
    find it a bit suspicious really..

Perhaps you should read all my posts before you jump to conclusions. The duplicate thread was an error. I find it worthy of posting it here and as a new thread. Nah, hang on, you got me, hands up. I'm really...eh, what exactly are you suspicious of? I'm curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Does anyone know if the iphone5 on Vodafone and meteor pay as you go are sim free or locked?
    I am planning to buy one and use it with lyca.

Does anyone know if the iphone5 on Vodafone and meteor pay as you go are sim free or locked?
    I am planning to buy one and use it with lyca.
    All prepay phones come locked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 thefeint

anyone know where i can get my iphone 5 from vodafone unlocked via imei?

Advertisement