Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

thefeint wrote: »
    anyone know where i can get my iphone 5 from vodafone unlocked via imei?

Vodafone only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Herself has an Iphone 4 jailbroken via Cydia. I would like to have it unlocked properly, so upgrades can be put onto it, it is currently on IOS4. I don't know what network it was on. Phone isn't nicked, bought from a friend who purchased new.

Is there a way to check within the phone what network it was on?

What is the best option to getting the phone unlocked?

I am not tech savey in anyway, so as simple as possible would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Herself has an Iphone 4 jailbroken via Cydia. I would like to have it unlocked properly, so upgrades can be put onto it, it is currently on IOS4. I don't know what network it was on. Phone isn't nicked, bought from a friend who purchased new.

I am not tech savey in anyway, so as simple as possible would be great.
    Ask your friend what network it was on and chances are they could get it unlocked by the network for free, other than that you can pay form €50-€120 from various places online to get it unlocked

guil wrote: »
    Ask your friend what network it was on and chances are they could get it unlocked by the network for free, other than that you can pay form €50-€120 from various places online to get it unlocked

The problem is, she can't remember what network it was on. Got it unlocked and jumped around to whoever had the best deal on prepay.

Can you advise any trustworthy sites? Or places near Dublin?

I presume I am right in saying that Cydia is a jailbreak and not an unlock. Could I un-install it and then get the phone unlocked.

Yes cydia is like an appstore on a jailbroken device, go into cydia and then tap manage and then packages, is ultrasn0w in the list

I haven't used any sites to unlock an iphone but if you call apple they should tell you what network the phone is locked to, if it is o2 they might unlock it foc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

1. Settings >> General >> About >> Carrier

2. Have the legitimate owner ask the carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thefeint

fox007 wrote: »
    Vodafone only

so there is no option like the IMEI unlock for ATT or from officialiphoneunlock.co.uk?

healyron wrote: »

1. Settings >> General >> About >> Carrier

2. Have the legitimate owner ask the carrier
    The first option will only show what sim is in the phone now and he said the original owner can't remember what network it was bought on

Yes cydia is like an appstore on a jailbroken device, go into cydia and then tap manage and then packages, is ultrasn0w in the list

I haven't used any sites to unlock an iphone but if you call apple they should tell you what network the phone is locked to, if it is o2 they might unlock it foc

Thanks, I will get on to Apple so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Anyone know if there's a way of updating an old iPhone 3 to current iOS/firmware? It's still in it's box just pretty useless as it stands. If you could PM me I'd really appreciate it thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 DeclanF

Hi Folks

I recently got my iphone 4s unlocked via a gevey sim. It worked great for a few weeks but now i cant make or receive calls, everything else works perfectly. The phone was originally locked to O2 but i am using it on vodafone.

Hope someone can help, cheers :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you update the ios on the phone or similar?
    What version ios is it on now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Newbie stupid question time, if i buy a i phone locked to Vodafone.Will my vodafone pay as you go sim work in it?

Or will i still have to unlock it for ready to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Newbie stupid question time, if i buy a i phone locked to Vodafone.Will my vodafone pay as you go sim work in it?

Or will i still have to unlock it for ready to go?

yes it will

Hi Biko thanks for the reply. No it's on the same OS as when it was unlocked. 6.0.01 the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

what unlocking sim are you using ????

Hi massey

Sorry im not sure i got it done in one of those chinese phone shops in Moore ST, Would a picture of it help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

The first option will only show what sim is in the phone now and he said the original owner can't remember what network it was bought on

Really...?
    It appears not. What if you take the SIM out...? The original carrier name is in there (somewhere!?). I noticed it when I did a SAMPrefs unlock on an iPhone 4 some time ago.

If you're right, then my apologies to all concerned :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Perhaps the sim got disturbed if you dropped the phone or similar. Try taking it out and putting it back in again, if you haven't already.

According to their website ios 601 is supported
    http://www.gevey.com/blog/gevey-ultra-s-for-gsm-iphone-4s-ios-6-06-0-1/

Thanks Biko, Iv removed the sim and put it back in a few times, did not make any differance, for some some strange reason it start working again today, see how long it lasts this time, also i noticed that theres no gevey of ultra written on the sim itself, id say its a cheap copy. Do u think its best i buy an original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 alex1301

Hello. I recently bought an Iphone 4s of a friend that is locked on vodafone, I reset it before putting in my Vodafone SIM. After turining it back on it tells me that "only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iphone". What can I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

naasrd wrote: »

Was all BS, some social experiment to see how many followers he could get in a week or in my opinion just being a pr**k!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

AntiRip wrote: »
    Was all BS, some social experiment to see how many followers he could get in a week or in my opinion just being a pr**k!

what a díckhead..it was obvious that it was fishy as hell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Right lads, hope someone can help...

I've an iphone 4 on the latest update, 6.0.1 I think? I got a new iphone 5 for myself and I want to give the iphone 4 as a present.

Contract had run out on vodafone... I'm still with them for the iphone 5. I submitted a request on vodafone for them to unlock it but I heard that takes ages (judging by the people complaining on the vodafone forum). It needs to be done for Christmas day, won't go down well if I give a phone that can't be used... its for my nephew.

Can my iphone 4 be jailbroken and unlocked given the IOS it's on? Is it hard, I'm not a whiz on computers.

What happens then if after I jailbroke it and unlocked it vodafone do whatever it is they do on their end to unlock it, will that still work?

Sorry if these are stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

GRMA wrote: »
    Right lads, hope someone can help...

I've an iphone 4 on the latest update, 6.0.1 I think? I got a new iphone 5 for myself and I want to give the iphone 4 as a present.

Contract had run out on vodafone... I'm still with them for the iphone 5. I submitted a request on vodafone for them to unlock it but I heard that takes ages (judging by the people complaining on the vodafone forum). It needs to be done for Christmas day, won't go down well if I give a phone that can't be used... its for my nephew.

Can my iphone 4 be jailbroken and unlocked given the IOS it's on? Is it hard, I'm not a whiz on computers.

What happens then if after I jailbroke it and unlocked it vodafone do whatever it is they do on their end to unlock it, will that still work?

Sorry if these are stupid questions

I asked a simliar question in here a few weeks back. Apparently jail-breaking does not unlock the phone

T-K-O wrote: »
    I asked a simliar question in here a few weeks back. Apparently jail-breaking does not unlock the phone
    I think once it's jailbroken you can download something from the jailbreak store which does it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

GRMA wrote: »
    I think once it's jailbroken you can download something from the jailbreak store which does it

That would be snowbreeze.

Jailbreaking doesn't unlock your iPhone.

Also snowbreeze is only compatible with certain basebands,

What is a baseband and how do I know what my baseband is?

The baseband on your phone definitely isn't compatible. It's 04.12.02 and the only iPhone 4 baseband that ultrasn0w can unlock is 01.59.00

• Advertisement

The baseband on your phone definitely isn't compatible. It's 04.12.02 and the only iPhone 4 baseband that ultrasn0w can unlock is 01.59.00
    So the only way to unblock my iphone is to do it through vodafone?

Advertisement