Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Hackulous and installous are gone suddenly. http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/12/30/hackulous-installous-shut-down/

Not that anyone here used installous of course ;)

What??? .......Is installous?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Install0us was like an App Store full of cracked apps and everything was free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Could anyone recommend somewhere in Cork City for an iPhone 4 unlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 AndrewHoey2012

bought a dodgy iphone 4s on gumtree for 260$ (seemed like a reasonable price), i met some indian guy beside the spire and he basically took my money and gave me the phone and legged it off before i got to ask questions about it, from what i can gather it is locked to the emobile network and has a passcode on it that i cant get passed (which now makes me think that it may have even been stolen) anybody have any suggestions? the seller isnt answering my calls (phones permanentaly off) so is there any shops that anybody knows of that do this type of unlocking service? (yes i do realise that i have been made a complete kn*b out of by this bloke)
    thanks.

bought a dodgy iphone 4s on gumtree for 260$ (seemed like a reasonable price), i met some indian guy beside the spire and he basically took my money and gave me the phone and legged it off before i got to ask questions about it, from what i can gather it is locked to the emobile network and has a passcode on it that i cant get passed (which now makes me think that it may have even been stolen) anybody have any suggestions? the seller isnt answering my calls (phones permanentaly off) so is there any shops that anybody knows of that do this type of unlocking service? (yes i do realise that i have been made a complete kn*b out of by this bloke)
    thanks.

If the phone is blocked, I think you can replace the IMEI card in the phone.
    Or sell to an overseas buyer where the phone will work.

I don't know if there is a way to get the phone back to its owner, if there was you might get a reward!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

You might be waiting a long time!
    I requested the NAC code for my mams Samsung phone in early August, only got the code 2 weeks ago. I emailed and hassled Vodafone weekly for the code.
    Golf the same stereo type bull**** reply: your details have been forwarded to the manufacturer to generate the code and will arrive shortly.
    4 months = shortly? Jeysus I would hate if they admitted there will be a delay or something!

Keep emailing customer service and hopefully you will get sorted sooner then me

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Does anyone know if an iphone 4s currently on vodafone Ireland, iOS 6.0.1 and modem firmware 3.0.04 can be unlocked to use on any network?

I dont see vodafone.ie on the list here - http://www.fastgsm.com/en/apple/apple/iphone-4s/unlock/country-network

Is there anyway i cant unlock this myself via blackra1n or sn0wbreeze etc?? (these are probably out of date now as its been a while since ive looked in to iphone unlocking! but are the any new ones?)

Does anyone know if an iphone 4s currently on vodafone Ireland, iOS 6.0.1 and modem firmware 3.0.04 can be unlocked to use on any network?

I dont see vodafone.ie on the list here - http://www.fastgsm.com/en/apple/apple/iphone-4s/unlock/country-network

Is there anyway i cant unlock this myself via blackra1n or sn0wbreeze etc?? (these are probably out of date now as its been a while since ive looked in to iphone unlocking! but are the any new ones?)

Google Vodafone Ireland 4s unlock, there's lots of sites that offer it and lots on eBay aswell

is www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk a reputable site?

Anyone on here used it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

sandt wrote: »

Phone George in http://www.syncron.ie/category_s/144.htm, give him your imei number and pay €50, well €53+vat(he gives me a discount!) by credit/laser card, wait a few days and restore it, your phone will be factory unlocked, no need to hand your phone over.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Quick question lads and lassies - has anyone tried unlocking an iPhone 4 with www.syncron.ie ? Did it work? Are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Soarer wrote: »
    Evening all.

Gonna get an iPad 3 or 4, or a mini. What are the latest version of firmware on each that's jailbreakable, if at all?

Thanks.
    jarvis wrote: »
    I bought an iPad 3 in powercity yesterday and it had 5.1.1 on it do I was able to jailbreak straight away with latest redsn0w

Thanks Jarvis.

In the process of buying a 3 running 5.1.1. Are there any jailbreaks for ios 6, or will I stick to 5.1.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Cross post from a thread I mistakenly opened:

My sister's boyfriend bought her an iPhone 5 from a Meteor store on pre-pay. Which means the phone is locked to Meteor but I'm pretty sure he still paid the full unlocked price (:rolleyes:).

She wanted to switch to a different network so she ordered a new SIM from the new network (48) and ported her number over only to realise afterwards that her phone is locked. Derp I know.

Now the problem is that Meteor want her to spend €130 on credit to unlock it. And I can't seem to unlock it myself. All of the tutorials etc are for <=4S.

So any advice anyone? She's also going abroad for 3 months soon so really needs it unlocked by that stage. Would they have to provide the code consider that? Or are they perfectly within their rights to refuse?

Oh I also heard that the unlocking shops in town are only unlocking Vodafone and O2 iPhone 5's? Anyone know if that's true - seems weird. The paid unlocking websites seem the same.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

I am trying to jailbreak an iphone 4 (iOS 6.0.1) for my niece. I used the custom IPSW method at http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-6-with-official-cydia-on-iphone-and-ipod-touch-a4-using-redsn0w-0.9.15b1/ and now I'm stuck in recovery and cannot get into DFU mode to do the recovery fix in redsnow it just keeps going to recovery. Any idea how I can do this?

If you fm get it into DFU mode just hold shift and click on restore. That will allow you to pick what ipsw you want to restore to. Google DFU and watch some of the videos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Thanks. Didn't manage to get it in DFU mode but was able to restore using iTunes with the phone in recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

A friend of mine has a 3GS on and old firmware jailbroken and unlocked through Cydia. He wants to know if he can update to a newer firmware and unlock it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm on the verge of buying a 4S but have one concern... it's locked to my network (I'm on pre-pay), but the guy I'm buying it off has 17 months left on his contract. Say he stops paying his bill, the network will surely block the phone.

Is it easy to get around this? Can it be factory unlocked without jailbreaking? My last iPhone was jailbroken but I found it more hassle than it was worth not being able to update or put music on it from my iTunes on my PC.

Appreciate any advice here, I'm a bit apprehensive about shelling out and ending up with a glorified iPod...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

any word on an untethered jailbreak for iphone 3gs running ios 6?

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of buying a 4S but have one concern... it's locked to my network (I'm on pre-pay), but the guy I'm buying it off has 17 months left on his contract. Say he stops paying his bill, the network will surely block the phone.

Is it easy to get around this? Can it be factory unlocked without jailbreaking? My last iPhone was jailbroken but I found it more hassle than it was worth not being able to update or put music on it from my iTunes on my PC.

Appreciate any advice here, I'm a bit apprehensive about shelling out and ending up with a glorified iPod...

Anyone any advice on this lads? Supposed to be purchasing later today..

2ndcoming wrote: »

Anyone any advice on this lads? Supposed to be purchasing later today..
    Getting it unlocked wont stop it from being blacklisted. Where are you buying it from

Buying it off a private seller. According to the IMEI there's 17 months left on his contract with 3. If it's blacklisted will it just stop working?

Is it from adverts, donedeal etc. 3 will blacklist the phone no questions asked if the seller reports it lost or stolen

Yeah, it's from Adverts. What I'm asking is if the phone is blacklisted is there any way of unblocking the phone or is it just dead?

The seller assures me he's keeping up his contract, just switching to a Galaxy S3. My worry is that a lot can happen in a year and a half. If he decided to emigrate or just stopped paying his bill for whatever reason would I be left with a dead phone?

There is no way to get the phone off a blacklist or even bypass it. If they get it blacklisted it will be a glorified iPod. Has the seller got any feedback

The seller seems decent, and has all positive feedback. I don't believe he's going to deliberately pull a fast one, just my fear is a lot can happen in a year and a half.... if he did stop paying his bill, would Three actually blacklist the phone for breach of contract, or would they just suspend his account (meaning my pre-pay sim and the phone itself would be unaffected)?

Is blacklisting only done when a phone is reported stolen, or is it standard practice for breach of contract as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

check his feedback..if he has a high amount of postive feedback and no negative then probably to be trusted..

How do you check how long is left on a contract with the IMEI code?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 fabisma

Can anyone help me?
    My sister from scotland gave me her old Iphone 4 with 6.0.1. I jailbroke it using Redsnow and installed ultrasnow and ultrasnow fixer but I still get No Service.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement