Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭steadyeddie08

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    How do you check how long is left on a contract with the IMEI code?

http://s-url.ro/
    This site will give lots of info. Just input the imei number of the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

http://s-url.ro/
    This site will give lots of info. Just input the imei number of the iPhone.

Very handy site. Thanks op. do you know will this site tell you if a phone is blacklisted??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

fabisma wrote: »
    Can anyone help me?
    My sister from scotland gave me her old Iphone 4 with 6.0.1. I jailbroke it using Redsnow and installed ultrasnow and ultrasnow fixer but I still get No Service.
    Any ideas?
    Ultrasn0w only works on the first iPhone 4 baseband which was 01.59.00. It can't be unlocked unless you pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Trout99

will 02 give me an unlock code for my iphone 5 after i upgraded on bill pay?

Trout99 wrote: »
    will 02 give me an unlock code for my iphone 5 after i upgraded on bill pay?
    more than likely yes but the iPhone doesn't use a code to unlock. It's done through iTunes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

I've read loads about there nearly being an untethered jailbreak for a5+ devices. Does that mean there's a tethered one available?
    Stupid updating to iOS 6 has me flumuxed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Soarer wrote: »
    I've read loads about there nearly being an untethered jailbreak for a5+ devices. Does that mean there's a tethered one available?
    Stupid updating to iOS 6 has me flumuxed!

Nope.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

So they're gonna wait for 6.1 so?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

guil wrote: »
    You're talking rubbish. SAM was patched months ago and no longer works and tesco sims work in iPhones and iPads.

Well I'll stick my 2c in here. I have a iP4 with O2, was fed up with the price plan so asked for it to be unlocked. I went to Tesco and got the €35 unlimited plan. They gave me a microsim there and then. I terminated my O2 contract but didn't connect to iTunes before they turned me off ! So I managed to do a factory reset, and activate it like a new phone. (I can't actually remember how I did it !) then I went to the tourist info place, connected my laptop, jailbroke it, downloaded SAM, and bob's your sister's aunt, it has been unlocked since with the tesco SIM. I've not updated the iOS since 5.1.1 and it's never let me down in 4 months.

I've updated my apps both Apple and Cydia so think you're incorrect there guil.

Well I'll stick my 2c in here. I have a iP4 with O2, was fed up with the price plan so asked for it to be unlocked. I went to Tesco and got the €35 unlimited plan. They gave me a microsim there and then. I terminated my O2 contract but didn't connect to iTunes before they turned me off ! So I managed to do a factory reset, and activate it like a new phone. (I can't actually remember how I did it !) then I went to the tourist info place, connected my laptop, jailbroke it, downloaded SAM, and bob's your sister's aunt, it has been unlocked since with the tesco SIM. I've not updated the iOS since 5.1.1 and it's never let me down in 4 months.

I've updated my apps both Apple and Cydia so think you're incorrect there guil.
    When you say you asked for it to be unlocked, who did you ask? O2. If so they would of requested the unlock with apple and SAM was patched by apple and will work if you did it before the deadline or if you saved the activation tickets for it. I think O2 unlocked your phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Soarer wrote: »
    So they're gonna wait for 6.1 so?!

Certainly looks that way because if they release it now it will be fixed too soon as 6.1 is around the corner. I guess they're trying to keep onto the exploit as long as possible so more people can enjoy it....hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

When you say you asked for it to be unlocked, who did you ask? O2. If so they would of requested the unlock with apple and SAM was patched by apple and will work if you did it before the deadline or if you saved the activation tickets for it. I think O2 unlocked your phone

Are o2 & Tesco not the same network ? UK iphones are listed on Ebay as being locked to o2 & Tesco.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/about-us.aspx

Yeah tesco are a MVNO on o2's network much the way emobile use meteors. I'm not sure if they have a different MNC than o2 though but it should be available on comreg. If they are different MNC's, which I think they are, then a tesco sim won't work in an o2 locked phone

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Reon

so i got my sisters iphone and i didnt want all her stuff on it so i resetted all information then resetted everything else: media ect... switched back on and kept on going into a loop of restarting and now its stuck on the iphone logo, yes i did hold the off and home button for 10 seconds and that doesnt work it wont switch off at all i also held the home button while putting in the cable which was plugged into the laptop that did nothing it just charges it but doesnt connect to itunes nor does the laptop pick it up any clue to wtf is happening?

I asked O2 to unlock it via Apple, they said connect it to iTunes and it'll be unlocked. But they turned it off before I could do it. I tried a tesco SIM and it didn't work, so obviously not the same although they do use the same network. I did all this in August last year. My phone was jailbroken before they turned it off, when I did the factory reset I had to set it up as a new phone. Then I jailbroke it with Absinthe AFAIR, installed SAM, popped the Tesco SIM in and it's been working since.

I asked O2 to unlock it via Apple, they said connect it to iTunes and it'll be unlocked. But they turned it off before I could do it. I tried a tesco SIM and it didn't work, so obviously not the same although they do use the same network. I did all this in August last year. My phone was jailbroken before they turned it off, when I did the factory reset I had to set it up as a new phone. Then I jailbroke it with Absinthe AFAIR, installed SAM, popped the Tesco SIM in and it's been working since.
    What do ya mean before they turned it off

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nangitoholmes

Hi,

Anybody know how to unlock meteor iPhone 4?

Cheers

What do ya mean before they turned it off

Closed my account so SIM no longer worked. The only way I could access Internet was through the phone I don't have it at home. But I took my laptop into the visitor centre in town & used thier wifi to activate my tesco SIM.

Let's just say I've been using tesco since sept with SAM with no problems.

Closed my account so SIM no longer worked. The only way I could access Internet was through the phone I don't have it at home. But I took my laptop into the visitor centre in town & used thier wifi to activate my tesco SIM.

Let's just say I've been using tesco since sept with SAM with no problems.
    I'd say it's more than likely that the request to unlock the phone had went through, you don't need the original sim to unlock it. Once o2 requested apple to unlock it, it could be done within 2 days and when you restored it the unlock completed.

Of course i could be completely wrong with all this but i never used SAM and can't remember when it stopped working, if you used it before the time ran out then it will continue to work

I'd say it's more than likely that the request to unlock the phone had went through, you don't need the original sim to unlock it. Once o2 requested apple to unlock it, it could be done within 2 days and when you restored it the unlock completed.

Of course i could be completely wrong with all this but i never used SAM and can't remember when it stopped working, if you used it before the time ran out then it will continue to work

I never connected it to iTunes & tried the tesco SIM when I got it. Didn't work so did factory reset & set it up with a O2 payg SIM. But as they say 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it' been working since & although I haven't updated it to the latest iOS (don't want to lose JB) it does what I want so no worries. (I'm even posting this with it !)

• Advertisement

if you did a factory reset the phone had to connect to apples servers which would of unlocked it, otherwise the tesco sim wouldn't activate the phone

ah now I see, may I'll try another SIM in it without SAM see if it works. But not until I have no option to update the iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Got a little question and was wondering if anyone here could shed some light.

I jailbroke my iPhone 3gs over a year ago now and haven't bothered about a single update since. Now a lot of games seem to need the iOS update. Just wondering if I update the iOS will I lose the jailbreak/unlock and have to do it all again or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

You should be able to update to ios5.1.1, jailbreak and unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.

So I switched from Vodafone Ready To Go to Three a little over two years ago, taking advantage of a Three deal to get a cheaper iPhone.
    Basically, the original iPhone I got from Three when I switched broke so I bought a second hand iPhone from another phone shop. This phone is also locked to the Three network.

I will be travelling abroad a couple of times over the next few months, so I want to get the phone unlocked (can buy local SIM etc and avoid roaming charges which have cost me a fortune over the last two years)!

What are my options for getting the phone unlocked?
    Can I go through Three or does the fact that I bought the handset from a 3rd party mean that i cannot go this route?
    And even if I do - will they unlock it free of charge?

If it makes any difference - I signed up for an initial 18 month contract and then extended it when the 18 months was up (not sure if I took out a further 12 months or 18 months at the time).

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.

So I switched from Vodafone Ready To Go to Three a little over two years ago, taking advantage of a Three deal to get a cheaper iPhone.
    Basically, the original iPhone I got from Three when I switched broke so I bought a second hand iPhone from another phone shop. This phone is also locked to the Three network.

I will be travelling abroad a couple of times over the next few months, so I want to get the phone unlocked (can buy local SIM etc and avoid roaming charges which have cost me a fortune over the last two years)!

What are my options for getting the phone unlocked?
    Can I go through Three or does the fact that I bought the handset from a 3rd party mean that i cannot go this route?
    And even if I do - will they unlock it free of charge?

If it makes any difference - I signed up for an initial 18 month contract and then extended it when the 18 months was up (not sure if I took out a further 12 months or 18 months at the time).

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

don't think 3 will unlock it..the original one definitely they would have but the imei wouldn't be assigned to you on their network? Check on the 3 forum here and see what they say.

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1367

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Hi all, I got a message from o2 last wednesday saying that apple confirmed that I could unlock my phone and to put a different network sim in and connect to itunes. I only got near a computer tonight and tried it but I never got a message saying it was unlocked. Is there a limit on the time your giving by apple to unlock it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭wilford

gaatipstr wrote: »
    Hi all, I got a message from o2 last wednesday saying that apple confirmed that I could unlock my phone and to put a different network sim in and connect to itunes. I only got near a computer tonight and tried it but I never got a message saying it was unlocked. Is there a limit on the time your giving by apple to unlock it? Thanks

You just need to put a different sim in and connect to itunes to get the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

I did that but nothing happend :/

• Advertisement

You need to sync with the different sim in but if you try sync with a different pc from the last one it will delete and music you have and possibly other things to.

Advertisement