Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

anyone have a link to spirit jailbreak download? anyone i have found is dead. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

its cool ... found one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

basically iPhone 3g cant be unlocked or i am i missing something.
    i bought an iPhone 3g from eBay and i was going to unlock it through guides from YouTube.

any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Hi my main reason for wanting to jailbreak is to download flash so I can watch catch up tv. Is it possible to do that? Or is it still not available even for jailbroken apple devices??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Ultrasn0w 0.9.3 released as of today!

Cydia repo is repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Works with basebands 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Elessar wrote: »
    Ultrasn0w 0.9.3 released as of today!

Cydia repo is repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Works with basebands 04.26.08 thru 05.13.04

Excuse my ignorance but does that mean I can download it and unlock my baseband 5.12.01? I currently using 3.13 spirt jailbroken!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

Excuse my ignorance but does that mean I can download it and unlock my baseband 5.12.01? I currently using 3.13 spirt jailbroken!

yep!! I've got it running on mine! Now a happy meteor customer again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

costacurta wrote: »
    yep!! I've got it running on mine! Now a happy meteor customer again:)

Haha me too sorted now...delighted. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Requires an already Jailbroken device. Be careful out there, it's early and still messy.

You can jailbreak and unlock 4.0 only on 3G iPhone and iPod Touch. NOT 3GS (Yet).

For 3GS there is no jailbreak yet (Betcha it comes out while I'm typing!), so you upgrade to IOS4.0 only on officially unlocked devices, or if you are using an O2 iPhone with an O2 Sim, or a Vodafone iPhone with a Vodafone sim and so on.

If you upgrade your iPhone to 4.0 without an already unlocked device you will be stuck until the jailbreak comes out, and even then you might still require an official sim to activate the iPhone first.

News will come from geohot, the iPhone dev-team and MuscleNerd via their sites and forums.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

oh dear, it's all too complicated for me, I don't have a clue what you are all talking about:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭nicker_s

I got it working on a 3gs (3.1.3 not ios4), it wasn't jailbroken so did it my way, don't bother saying, ah, you should of don this, you should have done that, this worked for me.

Here's what i did:
    Went to http://spiritjb.com/ and downloaded the exe for windows (im on vista just fyi, dunno if it makes a difference),
    ran it (didn't work, had to right click and change the compatibility (tab at top) to windows 98/me and run as administrator box ticked)

then went to the cydia app on the phone, went to manage (at bottom)-> sources-> add and put in the address: http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com -> and add source, ran that, then went into Ultrasnow in sources and installed it (press confirm), got some error messages about failed to cache, ignored them, it rebooted. Took about a minute and picked up meteor, made a call. Working fine, hurray!

Please dont bother correcting what I did cause it worked, i hate that sh1te, add to it or suggest other ways that work.

That was all just thrown together in about a minute so just deal with the layout, fed up of iphones and reading about 3.1.3, ios4, baseband, 5. whatever and stuff that didn't work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

hshortt wrote: »
    Requires an already Jailbroken device. Be careful out there, it's early and still messy.

You can jailbreak and unlock 4.0 only on 3G iPhone and iPod Touch. NOT 3GS (Yet).

For 3GS there is no jailbreak yet (Betcha it comes out while I'm typing!), so you upgrade to IOS4.0 only on officially unlocked devices, or if you are using an O2 iPhone with an O2 Sim, or a Vodafone iPhone with a Vodafone sim and so on.

If you upgrade your iPhone to 4.0 without an already unlocked device you will be stuck until the jailbreak comes out, and even then you might still require an official sim to activate the iPhone first.

News will come from geohot, the iPhone dev-team and MuscleNerd via their sites and forums.

Enjoy.

you say you can JB a 3G phone on 4.0?

With what software?

Have a look at the dev-team site to get the details.

Cheers

Have a look at the dev-team site to get the details.

Cheers

Yeah sorry I missed the update #1

got it, ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RossN

Hi.
    If I have an original O2 iPhone 3G, (currently unlocked and jailbroken) running a Vodafone SIM, will I always need to JB it to use the Vodafone SIM? Thinking of trying to go to OS4 at some point, and wondering if I deffo need to JB it.
    Thanks.
    Also, my power button is broken. :(
    I assume I'm fooked when it comes to doing a JB with Redsn0w!

Jailbreak and Unlock are different but interdependent.

You need to jailbreak first then unlock. You are using 3G, so you can go to IOS4.0 now, and then jailbreak and unlock using the new tools released yesterday.

Steps are.
    1. Upgrade to IOS4 via Apple/iTunes.
    2. Jailbreak using a utility called redsn0w. Information - here
    3. Unlock by adding a resource to Cydia (cydia is installed by the jailbreak process). The resource to add is listed in the post on the dev-team site above.

Enjoy IOS4 jailbroken and unlocked.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RossN

Cheers.
    I've done it before with this iphone, and worked fine. My problem is now the power button doesn't work, so think I'll have to live with this version!
    Or get an O2 SIM card instead!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

You need to jailbreak first then unlock. You are using 3G, so you can go to IOS4.0 now, and then jailbreak and unlock using the new tools released yesterday.

Steps are.
    3. Unlock by adding a resource to Cydia (cydia is installed by the jailbreak process). The resource to add is listed in the post on the dev-team site above.

Cheers

Wont work for a 3Gs will it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Caboose

Steps are.

Cheers

Will this work with an American 2g? I had one unlocked and jailbroken but had to restore due to a touch screen problem. It restored to 3.1.3 and I have been lost without it for months.

I should mention that a guy I worked with unlocked it and I'm not that tech savvy when it comes to the iPhone. So if anyone can explain or whip up a Dummies guide to that would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Caboose

Steps are.

Cheers

do you know where the .ipsw firmware blob is located after upgrading?

I can't seem to find it and redsn0w is looking for it

• Advertisement

nm got em

unlocked on 4.0 at last, what a mission

And now for the 3GS its go time. :)http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Well... depending on bootrom version.... FFS! Come back geohot all is forgiven, give us your limera1n all-in-one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭grolschmore

I Have a 3gs that was jailbroken with blackrain on 3.1.2, and then i got it unlocked by apple so i updated to 3.1.3 and used spirit to jailbreak. now i have updated to ios 4 and want to get cydia back or even just be able to put ipa's on it?

Can Anyone Help?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I Have a 3gs that was jailbroken with blackrain on 3.1.2, and then i got it unlocked by apple so i updated to 3.1.3 and used spirit to jailbreak. now i have updated to ios 4 and want to get cydia back or even just be able to put ipa's on it?

Can Anyone Help?

from the dev team blog :

If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0

so if you used spirit you're out of luck (temporarily)

OK, I have checked my boot rom and it is the old boot rom. i tried using pwangetool and its gives error 1607 in itunes when i try to update. so i presume i cant jailbreak yet!

got it sorted. i had my shsh's on file for 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 so i downgraded to 3.1.2 used redsn0w and pwanged to 4.0. All is good!!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hi guys. Have a problem with a friends 8gb US 3GS. The phone was on 3.1.3 fw but had been jailbroken a few weeks ago but not unlocked. I said that I would have a look at it and see about unlocking it. While trying to install blacksn0w through Cydia, the phone froze, and is now stuck in a boot loop and restarts every 5 mins or so without getting past the Apple logo.

I have been trying to research what I can do to even get it back to its 3.1.3 jailbroken form, but am having trouble understanding all the options out there. Of course the ultimate aim is to unlock it, but I would hate to have undone the previous jailbreak.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cwrenn

I'm going to upgrade to IOS4.Currently on 3.0, JB'd and unlocked.Bootrom and week no. both ok.So!Do i use the official update in ITunes and then re-JB, or just go into a straight JB as per iClarified (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10188)?
    *edited for spelling* *edit*sorry, just did a read around of a few more sites and realise that i need to use a custom ispw...:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'm gonna ask a sillier question than cwrenn!

I'm currently running a 3g on firmware 3.0 that I jailbroke and sim unlocked. I'm looking to upgrade the firmware, as some apps need more than 3.0 to run.
    I don't mind if I go up to 4.0, but if it's possible whilst maintaining jailbreak and unlocked status, I'll go to 4.0.
    Problem is, I can't remember what I used to jailbreak/unlock the last time, so I'm stumped as to what to do from now!:o
    What info do I need to get from the phone in order to know what to do next?

I've tried googling, but...
    1. I got bamboozled with all the info and "click here" options
    2. Only have 'net access here in work, and a lot of sites giving info are blocked!:mad:

Thanks in advance guys.
    Soarer.

Advertisement