Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

I dont think I know anyone that has a Mac! :(
    Ill try use Sn0wBreeze right now!
    Good stuff :D

You might as well put it in DFU mode when restoring too, could help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ok Sn0wBreeze has worked, the phone is on now (still no reception tho with the o2 simcard). In itunes it is asking "Set up as i new iPhone or Restore from the last back up"

Which will i choose?? New iPhone? surely the last backup i would go back to square one?

Ok Sn0wBreeze has worked, the phone is on now (still no reception tho with the o2 simcard). In itunes it is asking "Set up as i new iPhone or Restore from the last back up"

Which will i choose?? New iPhone? surely the last backup i would go back to square one?
    Yeah choose set up as new. Then install ultrasn0w from cydia

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

Hi, does anyone know if iphone 4 on 4.0.2 can be jailbroken and unlocked yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 karljd

steve what ipsw did you use? when i try 1 in snow breeze it keeps saying not a valid file.

• Advertisement

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    Yeah choose set up as new. Then install ultrasn0w from cydia

Cheers, trying that now.
    karljd wrote: »
    steve what ipsw did you use? when i try 1 in snow breeze it keeps saying not a valid file.
    I used the custom one that snowbreeze made, its called "sn0wbreeze_iPhone 3GS-4.1" and went onto my desktop

Got it working! :D Jakmeehan thank you and Sc@recrow too!

Apologies lad's,i'm really stuck here @scuba steve or anyone else that can help.Could you do me a step by step as in how you restored your phone,as nthing iv'e tryed seems to work.

karljd wrote: »
    Apologies lad's,i'm really stuck here @scuba steve or anyone else that can help.Could you do me a step by step as in how you restored your phone,as nthing iv'e tryed seems to work.
    1. Run Sn0wBreeze. Point it at a *stock* 4.1 ipsw, follow instructions.

2. Put your iphone in DFU mode.

3. Run iTunes (it will tell you there is an iPhone connected in recovery mode) and ctrl-click restore. Point it at the *custom* ipsw you just made with Sn0wBreeze. It should be on your desktop.

4. When it is completed, run cydia on your iPhone and let it refresh etc etc. Install ultrasn0w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 updedeise

I really want to get an i phone 4 but have to stay on meteor . What is the best way to do this ?? Anyone ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

updedeise wrote: »
    I really want to get an i phone 4 but have to stay on meteor . What is the best way to do this ?? Anyone ??

Buy a sim free iPhone 4 off apple €600 or adverts.ie

Or buy a second hand jailbroke/unlocked phone

1. Run Sn0wBreeze. Point it at a *stock* 4.1 ipsw, follow instructions.

2. Put your iphone in DFU mode.

3. Run iTunes (it will tell you there is an iPhone connected in recovery mode) and ctrl-click restore. Point it at the *custom* ipsw you just made with Sn0wBreeze. It should be on your desktop.

4. When it is completed, run cydia on your iPhone and let it refresh etc etc. Install ultrasn0w.
    Thank you jakmeehan(and everyone else for advise)your a lifesaver.took a few tries but got it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

lads any idea when ill be able to have an untethered jailbreak of my iphone 4 , running on 4.2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads have a few questions regarding jail breaking etc I have an Iphone4 networked locked to 3.
    Q,1 If you jail brake an Iphone can it sucomb to a virus as i have been told.
    Q,2 When you jail break it does that mean you can also unlock it from the network.
    Q,3 I updated to the lasted firmware on the apple site 4.02 I think it is:o what happens if I was to jailbreak the phone would I lose my apps and music? I use a nokia at the moment so i am used to backing up the files before updating is the Iphone the same.

Lads have a few questions regarding jail breaking etc I have an Iphone4 networked locked to 3.
    Q,1 If you jail brake an Iphone can it sucomb to a virus as i have been told.
    Q,2 When you jail break it does that mean you can also unlock it from the network.
    Q,3 I updated to the lasted firmware on the apple site 4.02 I think it is:o what happens if I was to jailbreak the phone would I lose my apps and music? I use a nokia at the moment so i am used to backing up the files before updating is the Iphone the same.
    1. Absolutely not.

2. The unlock depends on the baseband version you're on. If you are on any iOS past 4.0.2 you cannot unlock at the moment.

3. Although it is recommended to backup your phone before jailbreaking as a precaution, none of your data will be touched. All your apps, music, photos etc will remain intact. It will be exactly as it was before, just jailbroken :)

If you are on iOS 4.2.1 then it will be a tethered jailbreak, meaning you will need to connect the iPhone to a PC everytime you need to boot it.

Cheers for that jakmeehan the firmware is actually 4.2.1 so if/when a jail break is released for the above version does it mean everytime I connect the phone to just say the apple store I will have to jail break it again.

Cheers for that jakmeehan the firmware is actually 4.2.1 so if/when a jail break is released for the above version does it mean everytime I connect the phone to just say the apple store I will have to jail break it again.
    A jailbreak for 4.2.1 is already released but, as I said, it is tethered at the moment.

What this means is that every time, for whatever reason, the phone is turned off you will have to connect it to a PC to turn it back on.

A jailbreak for 4.2.1 is already released but, as I said, it is tethered at the moment.

What this means is that every time, for whatever reason, the phone is turned off you will have to connect it to a PC to turn it back on.

Jaysus think I might wait for a version to come out that does not need to be connected to a PC everytime you power off the device.:eek:
    Would there be many people doing that sort of jail break imagine your getting a flight and the phone has to be powered off and you dont have a PC with you and cannot use the airplane mode.

Jaysus think I might wait for a version to come out that does not need to be connected to a PC everytime you power off the device.:eek:
    Would there be many people doing that sort of jail break imagine your getting a flight and the phone has to be powered off and you dont have a PC with you and cannot use the airplane mode.
    Yeah it'd be a pain in the balls alright! I'm waiting for the untethered version too.

You could restore to 4.1 and have an untethered jailbreak though. But you would need to do that as quickly as possible. Apple are still signing that version but could stop signing it at *any* moment. Are you familiar with SHSH blobs?

In any case, you should run a program called "tinyumbrella" now. This will save your SHSH blobs so you can restore to 4.1 at any time, even if apple aren't signing it anymore.

Excuse the ignorance I havent a clue what SHSH blobs is:o the tinyumberella I presume is a firmware/patch update.:confused:

• Advertisement

Excuse the ignorance I havent a clue what SHSH blobs is:o the tinyumberella I presume is a firmware/patch update.:confused:
    When you save your SHSH (Signature HaSH) blob for a particular firmware, say 4.1, it means that you will always be able to restore to that firmware, in this example 4.1, even when apple no longer allow you to do this. Usually apple do not allow you to downgrade after they release a new firmware version, but because you have your 4.1 blobs "on file" you can downgrade to 4.1 at any time.

Tinyumbrella is the program the saves your SHSH blobs for you. All you have to do is connect your iPhone to your PC, run tinyumbrella and press "save SHSH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Apple are still signing that version but could stop signing it at *any* moment.

That stopped on Tuesday, I ran into it myself. If you try now you'll get the usual error. Overcome by using the host file for cydia so long as you have your blobs.

Not a fan of the tethered jailbreak, this one is poor as each time you need to run redsnow (on PC) load the firmware file, follow the DFU mode steps and cross your fingers that it will boot, rinse and repeat until it does. :rolleyes:

Also, beware the 3GS unlockers on the iPad baseband. I've been reading about loss of GPS functionality on dev-teams blog.

Won't be long, hold out on 4.1 if you can. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a new iPhone on 4.1

Can someone confirm that it's possible to unlock this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Hey guys I've been trying to read up on all the threads that are already there but I am a bit confused. First of all it seems some basebands of the iPhone 4 can or cannot be unlocked yet.

So if I was to buy an iPhone 4 on bill pay from Vodafone now what software or baseband would it be and is it possible to unlock this?

Basically all I want is to use it on pre pay as many people here do, you know the story but can you help my severe lack of knowledge and confusion is the question? Haha thanks in advance, any help much appreciated cheers!! ;)

Well anyone got a quick answer for me on this?? Thanks in advance :)

Well anyone got a quick answer for me on this?? Thanks in advance :)
    Probably be on iOS 4.1, bb 02.xx.xx. Not unlockable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Probably be on iOS 4.1, bb 02.xx.xx. Not unlockable.

Presume the same goes for me if I buy a new iPhone 4 locked to 3?

jamieh wrote: »
    Presume the same goes for me if I buy a new iPhone 4 locked to 3?
    Thats right. If you have spent around €150 credit with them they will unlock it for you tho.

Quick question, since my problems with my iphone 3gs yesterday and the day before, the internet doesnt seem to be working on it, wifi is grand tho. Im pretty sure i've the proper settings in. There was no problem with the internet before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭moggser

Have you tried your apn settings everytime you mess with the phone
    the apn settings are wiped

put them back in and that should be you

• Advertisement

ya i put them back in

APN wap.meteor.ie
    username my
    password wap

they right?

Advertisement