Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭moggser

The one that works for me me is

data.mymeteor.ie
    my
    meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

That worked, cheers for that moggser!

EDIT: My wifi was on, those settings didnt work for me :(
    anyone else have other settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Swopper guy

so can i purches an iphone 4 in US and unlock ????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭moggser

Have you got your data turned on in the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Have blobs saved for 3.1, and 4.0. Still on 4.0 jailbroken and would like to upgrade to 4.2 jailbreak. Last jailbroke using the Safari website. What should I do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

moggser wrote: »
    Have you got your data turned on in the settings

Yup I have indeed. Few days ago i accidently updated to latest software and then tried a few diff software to downgrade it and somewho ended up with the 06.15.00 modem firmware, would that be anything got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neegee

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three SIM in an iPhone purchased from a mobile carrier?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it.

It is important to note that some Irish carriers are now unlocking iPhones officially - please consult your carrier for more info.

I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple. Is it unlocked?

Yes. iPhones purchased from Apple.ie or from Apple stores are factory unlocked.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. iClarified have a jailbreak wizard to show you step-by-step how to jailbreak any device here.

What's the difference between Jailbreaking and iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking entails allowing you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it entails allowing you to use the iPhone on any GSM network.

Can't I just buy an unlocked phone?

You can, but only directly from Apple or authorised Apple retailers (or on adverts.ie / eBay). It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card. You cannot purchased unlocked iPhones in the USA, as they are locked to AT&T.

How do I unlock my iPhone?

If your carrier will not unlock your phone officially, then you will need to jailbreak & unlock.

See the unlocking wizard on iClarified here. The iPhone 4 can be unlocked using the info in this post.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

It is not possible to purchase a US iPhone without signing up to a contract. You can unlock a US AT&T-locked iPhone using the info above.

In Summary

Currently, all iOS devices on older firmware can be jailbroken using http://jailbreakme.com.

For iPhone/iPod touch, the 4.0.2 and 4.1 firmware cannot yet be jailbroken.

For iPad, the 3.2.2 firmware cannot yet be jailbroken.

Unlocking can be carried out by following instructions here or here (iPhone 4).

Feel free to add to this as you see fit.

I really want to get an iphone but not sure seein as on google it says you need wireless internet such as (eircom or B.T ...) so can i use the internet on an iphone just like any other phone without wireless home internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Ya don't need wifi to get an iPhone. All the bill pay plans have a data package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Relentleslee

Hey guys, don't suppose there has been any update whether an iphone 4 on 4.1 with a 02.10.04 is any closer to being unlocked? I read awhile back it was being worked on...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

Hey guys, don't suppose there has been any update whether an iphone 4 on 4.1 with a 02.10.04 is any closer to being unlocked? I read awhile back it was being worked on...
    It is continuously being worked on, but is not finished yet... You can follow some of these for updates:

iPhone Dev Team

MuscleNerd

Sherif Hashim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Relentleslee

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    It is continuously being worked on, but is not finished yet... You can follow some of these for updates:

iPhone Dev Team

MuscleNerd

Sherif Hashim

Cool, Thanks :D Wasn't exactly sure where to find out the exact people who are involved with the jailbreaks, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, looking for a bit of help. I'm a bit of a beginner with this unlocking/jailbreaking stuff :)

I have a 3G running 4.0 and baseband 05.14.02. The phone is jailbroken and I have a Cydia icon.
    I want to unlock it. All help greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Lads, looking for a bit of help. I'm a bit of a beginner with this unlocking/jailbreaking stuff :)

I have a 3G running 4.0 and baseband 05.14.02. The phone is jailbroken and I have a Cydia icon.
    I want to unlock it. All help greatly appreciated :)

Ultrasn0w should, go to Cydia, sources, manage, add, then put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com then install that. Should work on 4.0

Ultrasn0w should, go to Cydia, sources, manage, add, then put in repo666.ultrasn0w.com then install that. Should work on 4.0

Cheers Graham. I'll try that when I get home.

I have a 3gs, blobs saved for 3.1(and up to 4.0), last jailbroken using the Safarai web browser on the iPhone method.

I have ultrasnOw so i don't want to lose it.

Baseband 05.12.04

I want to upgrade to 4.1, 4.2 or 4.2.1 but I don't want the tethered unlock.

What firmware should I go for (assuming I want to keep ultrasn0w and not tether)? What programme should I use?

Hi Graham,
    I have done that but when I put in the sim it just continuously searches for the network. Any other ideas?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I have a 3gs, blobs saved for 3.1(and up to 4.0), last jailbroken using the Safarai web browser on the iPhone method.

I have ultrasnOw so i don't want to lose it.

Baseband 05.12.04

I want to upgrade to 4.1, 4.2 or 4.2.1 but I don't want the tethered unlock.

What firmware should I go for (assuming I want to keep ultrasn0w and not tether)? What programme should I use?
    is it jailbroken at the moment, if so ya could use snowbreeze to create a custom ipsw and restore to that, if ya saved the shsh with cydia ya should have 4.1 and the rest
    Hi Graham,
    I have done that but when I put in the sim it just continuously searches for the network. Any other ideas?
    did ya go to the repo afterwards and then install the ultrasn0w package

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Hi Graham,
    It wouldn't work for me on 4.1 but I thought it worked on 4.0.

Try re-install it? Once it's re-installed, does it come up "Could not access Mobile Data Network" or something like that? That popped up on 4.1 for me and I assumed that was why it didn't work for me.

Twas for my old 3GS but I just convinced my girlfriend to change to Vodafone so she could use it :o

guil wrote: »
    is it jailbroken at the moment, if so ya could use snowbreeze to create a custom ipsw and restore to that, if ya saved the shsh with cydia ya should have 4.1 and the rest

Why would I do a custom ISPW, I don't see the point, I don't understand snowbreeze at all

I don't understand that last sentence either. Sorry.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Why would I do a custom ISPW, I don't see the point, I don't understand snowbreeze at all

I don't understand that last sentence either. Sorry.
    if ya dont have shsh the only firmware ya can restore to now is 4.2.1
    to unlock that with ultrasn0w ya have to update the baseband to 06.15.00
    its the ipad baseband but ya will never be able to restore in itunes unless the iphone baseband goes higher than 06.15.00, only custom ipsw's will work
    the second bit about shsh, how did ya save it, if it was in cydia ya should have them for the newer firmwares aswell

• Advertisement

did ya go to the repo afterwards and then install the ultrasn0w package

Where is the repo?

Where is the repo?
    start cydia, tap manage then sources, tap edit and then add
    type ''repo666.ultrasn0w.com'' without the ''
    make sure ya put a 0 and not o
    tap add source, when its finished scroll down to the repo and tap it, go to ultrasn0w and install it, restart the iphone and ya should be good

Hi guil,

Thanks for the help.
    I have got as far as "add source".
    I'm now on the sources menu where under the heading "Entered by User" I have Hackulo and repo666.ultrasn0w.com
    If I press the repo I then have a screen with ultrasn0w on it with a green 'tick' beside it.

Is this what I should have?

yeah that means its installed, have ya tried turning it on and off

Ye I'v tried it. When I put in the sim at the top left it just says "searching".

Just to confirm....version is 4.0 (8A293) and the firmware is 05.14.02

it should work, why did ya downgrade from 4.1

guil wrote: »
    it should work, why did ya downgrade from 4.1

I bought it from someone. He told me he couldn't unlock it until they release it. Dont know why he downgraded. :confused:

just go back to ultrasnow and see what version it is, 1.1 wont work for 05.14.02
    ya need 1.2

It's version 1.2

Is there anything silly im not doing :confused:

It just says "searching" at top left of screen. Is that what it normally says when its still locked?

Appreciate the help guil.

• Advertisement

just to be sure go to settings>carrier, is it set to automatic, try picking the new operator ya want to use

Advertisement