Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

It's version 1.2

Is there anything silly im not doing :confused:

It just says "searching" at top left of screen. Is that what it normally says when its still locked?

Appreciate the help guil.
    05.14.02 cannot be unlocked... You will need to restore your iPhone, then run redsn0w and check the "install iPad baseband" box. You can now install ultrasn0w and you're set.

Note:
    • By doing this, you're irreversibly voiding your warranty.
    • You will *never* be able to restore to a stock IPSW again, you will *always* need a custom IPSW.
    • Read this for details, and of course proceed with caution :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    05.14.02 cannot be unlocked... You will need to restore your iPhone, then run redsn0w and check the "install iPad baseband" box. You can now install ultrasn0w and you're set.

Note:
    • You will *never* be able to restore to a stock IPSW again, you will *always* need a custom IPSW.
    ha ha my head isnt screwed on tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thanks lads. I'm hitting the hay now and I'll tackle it in the morning when my head is a bit fresher. Thanks again.

guil wrote: »
    ha ha my head isnt screwed on tonight
    Ha, we've all been there!

Note:

Hi Jakmeehan,

I have just bought this phone recently from someone who jailbroke it for me so I have no way of restoring it to its previous form from my itunes. Is there an other way of restoring it or can I install the new software on it and will that work.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi Jakmeehan,

I have just bought this phone recently from someone who jailbroke it for me so I have no way of restoring it to its previous form from my itunes. Is there an other way of restoring it or can I install the new software on it and will that work.

Cheers.
    You can use any iTunes to restore!

You can use any iTunes to restore!

itunes is looking to install the latest software, will that work with the method of unlocking that you said.

yes

itunes is looking to install the latest software, will that work with the method of unlocking that you said.
    As above, yep it will work. Just restore to 4.2.1 in iTunes and then run redsn0w to jailbreak and install iPad firmware.

Note: you will need the 4.2.1 ipsw for redsn0w. Are you downloading it yourself or letting iTunes download it?

Are you downloading it yourself or letting iTunes download it?

I'll let itunes download it. Im going to do that now boys, i'll let you know how i get on. cheers.

• Advertisement

@ Mods

I think the first post should be updated to reflect the most up-to-date jailbreak info to avoid repeated questions. I can write up a little summary to replace the current if need be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Please do. Post it here and I'll add it to the first post. Thanks!

At the time of this writing, all iOS devices & every iOS can be jailbroken. However, newer devices and iOS's require a "tethered" jailbreak.

Tethered - If your device is ever powered off, you will need to connect it to a computer and run redsn0w to turn it back on.

iOS 3.1.2 - 4.0.1
    Untethered
    Every device on iOS versions 3.1.2 - 4.0.1 can be jailbroken by visiting http://www.jailbreakme.com in safari on their iDevice.
    iOS 4.0.2 - 4.1
    Untethered
    Every device on iOS versions 4.0.2 - 4.1 can be jailbroken with redsn0w.
    iOS 4.2 (4.2.1)
    Some tethered, some untethered.
    Every device on iOS 4.2 (4.2.1) can be jailbroken with redsn0w.
    However, the following devices require a tethered jailbreak on this iOS:
    • iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
    • iPhone 4
    • iPod touch 2nd Gen New Bootrom
    • iPod touch 3rd & 4th Gen
    • iPad

All others have an untethered jailbreak.

redsn0w - Windows
    redsn0w - OSX

Unlock
    Currently, the following basebands can be unlocked:
    • 01.59.00 (iPhone 4)
    • 04.26.08 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    • 05.11.07 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    • 05.12.01 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    • 05.13.04 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    • 06.15.00 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
    If you are on a qualifying baseband, simply run cydia on your jailbroken iPhone and install "ultrasn0w".

(vinny, if this is too long - let me know and I'll try trim it down!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 neegee

wen jailbroken or unlocked can i use meteor simcard on iphone 3gs?.. and whats d difference between iphone 3gs and iphone 4??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bsteemers

Hey, if sumone could help me out or give sum insight would be great.

My 3gs (new bootram) is on 3.1.3 at the moment, jailbroken and unlocked.

Im tinken of upgrading to iOS but im unsure which to upgrade to (probably 4.1). I require an unlock because the phone is locked to the UK orange Network and i use a meteor sim and thus i need a jailbreak.

If i upgrade to 4.1 will i be able to jailbreak and unlock?

Will my current baseband (05.12.01) be change and if so to what and will it be able to be unlocked?

Any help at all would be appreiated.

Cheers

if ya have shsh saved in cydia, follow the guide to restore to another firmware, other than that ya will need to use sn0wbreeze to create a custom 4.1 ipsw
    if ya go to 4.1 ur bb will be 05.14.02, i'm not sure if ya can use a different bb with the custom ipsw but if not ya will have to use redsnow to update the bb to 06.15.00

Jakmeehan & guil

That worked first time for me. Thanks a million for the help boys, much appreciated :)

Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Anyone finding that their themes are not working properly on jb 4.2?
    Does this mean they have to be updated to work with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Anyone finding that their themes are not working properly on jb 4.2?
    Does this mean they have to be updated to work with it?

nevermind..got it to work...springboard had been disabled in the new jb

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

neegee wrote: »
    wen jailbroken or unlocked can i use meteor simcard on iphone 3gs?.. and whats d difference between iphone 3gs and iphone 4??

Yes. Go look it up, it will take 10 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 modem firmware 03.10.01
    Don't need unlock. Just jailbreak. Seems to run though redsn0w process without any problems but when it rebootsthe cydia icon is just greyed out and doesn't launch? Any ideas folks?
    Was previously jailbroken prior to upgrading to 4.2.1

iphone 4 is definately a tether jb on 4.2.1
    ya can use limera1n, greenpois0n or redsn0w but all are tethered which means ya need to connect to a pc or mac to reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Homer wrote: »
    iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 modem firmware 03.10.01
    Don't need unlock. Just jailbreak. Seems to run though redsn0w process without any problems but when it rebootsthe cydia icon is just greyed out and doesn't launch? Any ideas folks?
    Was previously jailbroken prior to upgrading to 4.2.1

When you run redsnow for the first time, all you are doing is installing cydia. Your previous jailbreak has nothing to do with it. A tethered jailbreak requires you to re run redsnow AFTER you have installed cydia. You have only done half the steps.

You now need to re run redsnow and instead of choosing 'install cydia', choose 'just boot tethered right now'. Then you will be able to launch cydia and it will be no longer greyed out. This is the point of a tethered jailbreak,, you must 'both tethered right now' after every reboot. Even after the initial install! Hence the greyed out cydia. It actually says to do this in the instructions after you have jailbroken.

That will solve your problem. Remember you will have to do this again and again after EVERY reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

When you run redsnow for the first time, all you are doing is installing cydia. Your previous jailbreak has nothing to do with it. A tethered jailbreak requires you to re run redsnow AFTER you have installed cydia. You have only done half the steps.

You now need to re run redsnow and instead of choosing 'install cydia', choose 'just boot tethered right now'. Then you will be able to launch cydia and it will be no longer greyed out. This is the point of a tethered jailbreak,, you must 'both tethered right now' after every reboot. Even after the initial install! Hence the greyed out cydia. It actually says to do this in the instructions after you have jailbroken.

That will solve your problem. Remember you will have to do this again and again after EVERY reboot.

Hi Damian,
    Has an untethered jailbreak been released yet?

no, supposedly will be before christmas

Hi Damian,
    Has an untethered jailbreak been released yet?
    I don't think Damien would have written that long post if he could have just said "use the latest untethered jailbreak".....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

I don't think Damien would have written that long post if he could have just said "use the latest untethered jailbreak".....

It was just a question Jakmeehan. It was mentioned here before that one was on the way soon and I was just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Guys I've a 3g and jailbroke/unlocked on 4.2.1 it following the dev team rules. Worked no problem,

I had to restore my phone today so I followed the same procedure but itunes won't finish the install of the ispw (iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw) and I'm not stuck in recovery and can't get out.

Anyone any ideas? Tiny umbrella and redsn0w don;t seem to do the trick

did ya just click restore in itunes, this wont work and never will until the iphone bb goes higher than 06.15.00
    the only way to restore is with a custom ipsw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Unlock for JB iPhone4 on 3 iOS4.1 firmware 02.10 ?
    Help please

Advertisement