Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    If you had of actually read some previous posts before asking a question that is asked 5-6 times a week here you wouldn't have gotten any "Condescending attitude".

Guil was just pointing out that o2 require you to sign up for an 18 month "iPhone tariff", a fact that most people are unaware of.

I searched this thread, but found it hard to find someone in the same situation. There is 77 pages of replies, so you can imagine its not the easiest. I apologised to guil and thanked him for the help, maybe if you read some posts you would see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Could someone tell me what's the easiest way to update, jailbreak and unlock a 3G from 3.1.2 up to 4.2.

Have search around online, but just want to get a definite answer before I attempt anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

first of all ya should know unlocking on 4.2.1 will require the baseband to be updated to the ipad version, this means ya can never restore using itunes, you will always have to use a custom ipsw until apple bring the iphone baseband higher than 06.15.00

if you still want to continue, just follow this guide
    http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-update-iphone-3gs-3g-baseband-to-06.15.00-with-redsn0w-0.9.6b5-for-ios-4.2.1-unlock/

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

As guil said, you will need to update to the iPad baseband to unlock. I am quoting a section from the iPhone dev team blog, stating the drawbacks of doing so.
    WARNING — YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! *PLEASE UNDERSTAND THE CONSEQUENCES OF UPDATING TO 06.15.
    • There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
    • If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
    • Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). *You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
    Unlockers have been reporting mixed results about GPS functionality at 06.15.00. *Until we can track down what differentiates those who retain GPS vs. those who lose it, be conservative and assume you’ll lose GPS at 06.15.00. As we work on finding the cause (and possibly a fix), please report your personal findings in our comments section. *(Update: early indications are that while 06.15.00 is capable of GPS, it will require some further hacks. *But please still be conservative and assume you will lose GPS at 06.15, in case the hacks don’t work).
    Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! *Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks.

You should seriously consider trying to get a legit unlock from your carrier before trying this!

Thanks for the replies lads.

How about updating to 4.0.1 ....would that be a bit easier?

• Advertisement

jamieh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads.

How about updating to 4.0.1 ....would that be a bit easier?
    Yeah alot easier! Have you got Access to a mac? If so, just use pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw. Doing so preserves your current (unlockable) baseband.

You could just as easily update to 4.1 using the same method. In fact, it would be more recommended to update to 4.1 as 4.0.x has major battery drainage and "sluggishness" on iPhone 3G

Yeah alot easier! Have you got Access to a mac? If so, just use pwnagetool to create a custom ipsw. Doing so preserves your current (unlockable) baseband.

You could just as easily update to 4.1 using the same method. In fact, it would be more recommended to update to 4.1 as 4.0.x has major battery drainage and "sluggishness" on iPhone 3G

Cool - thanks a mill.

I have a Mac so I'll give pwnagetool a go.

I presume I need to save the ssh on cydia?

Do I just use ultrasn0w to unlock then?

Cool - thanks a mill.

I have a Mac so I'll give pwnagetool a go.

I presume I need to save the ssh on cydia?

Do I just use ultrasn0w to unlock then?
    Completely forgot about SHSH... Have you already got them saved?

Completely forgot about SHSH... Have you already got them saved?

I do - thank christ, ha!

Well, in Cydia it says up the top: SHSH iOS 4.0.2

Is that ok?

I do - thank christ, ha!

Well, in Cydia it says up the top: SHSH iOS 4.0.2

Is that ok?
    Well that means you have shsh for 4.0.2 anyway. As for 4.1, you might and you might not. Sometimes Cydia doesn't always show the latest info up there. Only way to be sure is to run tinyumbrella, press "save shsh" and if you have 4.1 on file it will appear there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 shanno1978

i bought an iphone 3g 16g in asia second recently all was going well until i stupidly updated the software for the phone and now the phone is no longer unlocked and its just an expensive ipod plus i have no phone can anyone please help????? where can i get it unlocked?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

shanno1978 wrote: »
    i bought an iphone 3g 16g in asia second recently all was going well until i stupidly updated the software for the phone and now the phone is no longer unlocked and its just an expensive ipod plus i have no phone can anyone please help????? where can i get it unlocked?
    thanks

There is a good chance that the GPS will not function if you upgrade the baseband to 06.15.00 for jailbreaking/unlocking . There is a guy working on it though, but keep that in mind.

more here:
    http://www.techstuffs.net/2010/12/downgrade-61500-baseband-to-be-released.html
    Previously we have seen ultrasn0w 1.2 released for iOS 4.2.1 to unlock iPhone 3G and 3GS. The unlock requires you to upgrade to iPad’s baseband 6.15.00 for it to work. Unfortunately many problems were reported by the users who used this procedure. So we are expecting that the downgrade of it will solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2, with baseband 01.59.00

I am on Meteor.

I jailbroke it with Limera1n, and then unlocked with ultrasn0w, which seems to have it working fine (although i am still having problems connecting to internet).

However, ever time i turn off the phone i have no coverage and as a result, i need to jailbreak and unlock again, is this right? This can be a serious pain.

HAPPY XMAS!

Daraflats wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2, with baseband 01.59.00

I am on Meteor.

I jailbroke it with Limera1n, and then unlocked with ultrasn0w, which seems to have it working fine (although i am still having problems connecting to internet).

However, ever time i turn off the phone i have no coverage and as a result, i need to jailbreak and unlock again, is this right? This can be a serious pain.

HAPPY XMAS!
    Nope that's not right, fortunately :)

Only 4.2 is a tethered jailbreak.

When you restart the phone just give it a few minutes to regain signal. If it still doesn't regain signal, just restart the phone again. This is a known issue with ultrasn0w.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Probably discussed already,
    I have a iphone 4 thats factory unlocked, but i'd like to jailbreak it purely for customizing it. anyhow i know how to do it and did it twice successfully, however i installed winterboard and such and 2 times now it bricked on me when rebooting, so my question is, is it too unstable for now to jailbreak the iphone 4 with version 4.2.1?

your iphone wasnt bricked, jailbreak for 4.2.1 is tethered at the moment so if ya reboot ya have to run the jb again

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The iPhone Dev-Team have just released their “backup plan” (Redsn0w 0.9.7) for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak. The just released beta version of Redsn0w will enable you to jailbreak (untethered) iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch 4G on iOS 4.2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

Nope that's not right, fortunately :)

Only 4.2 is a tethered jailbreak.

When you restart the phone just give it a few minutes to regain signal. If it still doesn't regain signal, just restart the phone again. This is a known issue with ultrasn0w.

Tried this two / three times since, and neither time it gained coverage after being left for 30 or so mins each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

guil wrote: »
    your iphone wasnt bricked, jailbreak for 4.2.1 is tethered at the moment so if ya reboot ya have to run the jb again

i booted with redsn0w twice but while forgetting to boot again it just showed the apple sign and was unable to do anything with it other than reset.

• Advertisement

Daraflats wrote: »
    Tried this two / three times since, and neither time it gained coverage after being left for 30 or so mins each time?
    You may need to try a restore. Have you got your 4.0.2 SHSH saved?

sharkman wrote: »
    The iPhone Dev-Team have just released their “backup plan” (Redsn0w 0.9.7) for untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak. The just released beta version of Redsn0w will enable you to jailbreak (untethered) iPhone 4, iPad and iPod touch 4G on iOS 4.2.1.
    unfortunately its mac only for the time being
    KilOit wrote: »
    i booted with redsn0w twice but while forgetting to boot again it just showed the apple sign and was unable to do anything with it other than reset.
    if it was bricked nothing at all would work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

sorry guys i know this has been asked a million times

can i jailbreak and unlock a 3gs iphone running 4.2.1 baseband 05.15.04

thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bryanjf wrote: »

thanks

I believed Redsn0w is what your looking for .

bryanjf wrote: »

thanks
    yes ya can use redsn0w like sharkman advised BUT, to unlock ya have to update the baseband to the ipad version
    warranty will bo void
    ya prob wont ever to restore in itunes, ya will always have to use a custom ipsw
    redsn0w is in beta stage at the moment aswell so i'd wait a while until everything is working properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

guil wrote: »
    yes ya can use redsn0w like sharkman advised BUT, to unlock ya have to update the baseband to the ipad version
    warranty will bo void
    ya prob wont ever to restore in itunes, ya will always have to use a custom ipsw
    redsn0w is in beta stage at the moment aswell so i'd wait a while until everything is working properly

thanks guys, i might give it ago tomorrow when the head is a bit better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

My girlfriend got a PAYG iPhone4 for christmas. Thing is, she is currently tied to o2. She didn't get a vodafone sim with the phone either, so she's got no number for credit. What steps does she need to take to get the phone unlocked. I understand that if you top up by 127 euro they'll unlock it, but can this be done in one go? PMed the guys on Vodafone here but not sure if they're around. Also, JB isn't an option on this. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

My girlfriend got a PAYG iPhone4 for christmas. Thing is, she is currently tied to o2. She didn't get a vodafone sim with the phone either, so she's got no number for credit. What steps does she need to take to get the phone unlocked. I understand that if you top up by 127 euro they'll unlock it, but can this be done in one go? PMed the guys on Vodafone here but not sure if they're around. Also, JB isn't an option on this. Thanks

If you have a receipt return it. An unlocked iPhone4 from apple is usually only €20 more than payg iPhones

iPhone 4 currently cannot be unlocked if on bb 02.10.04 google it if you don't understand. Or else do a bit of research. About 40 people have asked this question already

This is by far one of the laziest threads on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Hogzy wrote: »
    If you have a receipt return it. An unlocked iPhone4 from apple is usually only €20 more than payg iPhones

iPhone 4 currently cannot be unlocked if on bb 02.10.04 google it if you don't understand. Or else do a bit of research. About 40 people have asked this question already

This is by far one of the laziest threads on boards

Thing is I have checked boards and gotten the same conflicting messages I got from staff in three different vodafone shops. But thanks for being so helpful and answering questions I specifically didn't need answers for e.g. jailbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Thing is I have checked boards and gotten the same conflicting messages I got from staff in three different vodafone shops. But thanks for being so helpful and answering questions I specifically didn't need answers for e.g. jailbreaking.

I didnt say one thing about jailbreaking in my post.
    You need to JB anyway to unlock ANY iphone unless its factory unlocked. Clearly you dont know what you are talking about so id say just return the iphone and get a factory unlocked one from apple.

Advertisement