Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭moggser

My girlfriend got a PAYG iPhone4 for christmas. Thing is, she is currently tied to o2. She didn't get a vodafone sim with the phone either, so she's got no number for credit. What steps does she need to take to get the phone unlocked. I understand that if you top up by 127 euro they'll unlock it, but can this be done in one go? PMed the guys on Vodafone here but not sure if they're around. Also, JB isn't an option on this. Thanks

ill try not to bite your head off :):)

it seems that your missus's got pre pay phone "upgrade" possibly

which is just the phone itself with no sim for the credit and you register on the site to claim any you might get..

to unlock it via provider you will need to spend a lot of credit with them for it to be unlocked... how ever if you need it to be unlocked now you will need to jailbreak it that is the only other option ..but for now it is cant be done for your phone .."yet"

is the missus tied to oscrew via bill pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

@sherif_hashim tweeting that an unlock for bb 02.10.04 will be released before 16th january

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

this wait ill it jailbraking is killing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

so now that its fully installed what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I don't really understand all this "jailbreaking" stuff so I'm hoping one of you kind gentleman/women might take a couple of minutes to give me a bit of a dig out.

I got a pressie of a iPhone 4 32g bought direct from Apple so it's factory unlocked.

As I know shag all about this kind of thing could someone please tell me if I can "jailbreak" it and how would I go about doing so? Is it hard to "jailbreak"? If I mess it up will my iPhone be an expensive paper weight or will it still work? Can I still download updates from iTunes after jailbreaking or is this likely to feck up by iPhone?

I am fully aware that this question has probably already been asked but as I have no clue what to do I'd very much appreciate someone giving me a bit of a dig out.

Are there any pitfalls/negative things about jailbreaking my iPhone?

Finally, what is the difference between tethered and untethered and if I jailbreak using the tethered one will I need to update to the untethered one and will it be possible to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

I have an Iphone 3G 8Gb running 4.1 (8B117) with the modem firmware upgraded to the iPad version 06.15.00. I installed redsnow, jailbroke it (I think) and installed Ultrasnow through Cydia. I thought this is all i needed to do to unlock? Is there another step I'm missing out on? I tried another sim card in it and it just says No Service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I don't really understand all this "jailbreaking" stuff so I'm hoping one of you kind gentleman/women might take a couple of minutes to give me a bit of a dig out.

I got a pressie of a iPhone 4 32g bought direct from Apple so it's factory unlocked.

As I know shag all about this kind of thing could someone please tell me if I can "jailbreak" it and how would I go about doing so? Is it hard to "jailbreak"? If I mess it up will my iPhone be an expensive paper weight or will it still work? Can I still download updates from iTunes after jailbreaking or is this likely to feck up by iPhone?

I am fully aware that this question has probably already been asked but as I have no clue what to do I'd very much appreciate someone giving me a bit of a dig out.

Are there any pitfalls/negative things about jailbreaking my iPhone?

Finally, what is the difference between tethered and untethered and if I jailbreak using the tethered one will I need to update to the untethered one and will it be possible to do so?

Many thanks in advance.
    first ya need to check what firmware it is on, the check go to settings>general>about, it will prob be either 4.1 or 4.2.1,
    no matter what ya do, a restore in itunes will always fix it but doing so upgrades the firmware if a newer one is available, it also removes the jailbreak and one isnt always available for the latest FW

if there is an update for the iphone ya should wait until there is a jailbreak available aswell, if there is an update for itunes dont update until ya read that it is safe to update

tethered means ya have to run the jailbreak tool to use the iphone again if ya restart the iphone or something crashes
    untethered has no restrictions like that

clio_16v wrote: »
    I have an Iphone 3G 8Gb running 4.1 (8B117) with the modem firmware upgraded to the iPad version 06.15.00. I installed redsnow, jailbroke it (I think) and installed Ultrasnow through Cydia. I thought this is all i needed to do to unlock? Is there another step I'm missing out on? I tried another sim card in it and it just says No Service
    have ya tried restarting it after installing ultrasn0w

guil wrote: »
    first ya need to check what firmware it is on, the check go to settings>general>about, it will prob be either 4.1 or 4.2.1,
    no matter what ya do, a restore in itunes will always fix it but doing so upgrades the firmware if a newer one is available, it also removes the jailbreak and one isnt always available for the latest FW

if there is an update for the iphone ya should wait until there is a jailbreak available aswell, if there is an update for itunes dont update until ya read that it is safe to update

tethered means ya have to run the jailbreak tool to use the iphone again if ya restart the iphone or something crashes
    untethered has no restrictions like that

Cheers mate.

My firmware is 4.2.1.

Would you recommend that I go ahead and download the tethered version or wait for the untethered one?

i'd wait but if ya dont plan on installing anything while your away from a pc work away
    not everything in cydia is compatible with 4.2.1 yet so be careful what ya install

• Advertisement

i'd wait but if ya dont plan on installing anything while your away from a pc work away
    not everything in cydia is compatible with 4.2.1 yet so be careful what ya install

Thanks mate - only plan on downloading stuff through my PC at the mo so might go for it...

How would I know if the stuff on cydia is compatible with 4.2.1? Will it say if it is or not?

yeah sometimes it doesnt say though, if ya install anything through cydia and the iphone goes into safe mode, just start cydia again and remove the lackage

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Come on untethered jb!!!!!!!!!!! When is it going to arrive??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

My iPhone 3G is jailbroken/unlocked. i want to update it, then jailbreak/unlock it.

Currently on 3.0 with modem firmward 04.26.08

How would i go about updating to something (at least 4.0) then jailbreak that?

Thanks

I presume it's tethered at the moment. If so just update in iTunes and jailbreak with redsn0w and install the iPad baseband and unlock with
    Personally I'd create a custom 4.1 ipsw and have an untethered jb with limera1n

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Can someone quickly explain to me what jailbreaking entails? I see in the first post how it's done, but I mainly want to know:

What are the advantages over a standard set up? Why should I do it?

What warranty issues arise?

What happens to phone performance?

Could I jailbreak it, go download lots of free apps and then just revert to a normal iPhone? (i.e. is jailbreaking reversible?)

I am very sceptical of jailbreaking, especially this tethered rubbish. I just want to know why people do it and how it might be good for me?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Crasp wrote: »
    Can someone quickly explain to me what jailbreaking entails? I see in the first post how it's done, but I mainly want to know:

What are the advantages over a standard set up? Why should I do it?

What warranty issues arise?

What happens to phone performance?

Could I jailbreak it, go download lots of free apps and then just revert to a normal iPhone? (i.e. is jailbreaking reversible?)

I am very sceptical of jailbreaking, especially this tethered rubbish. I just want to know why people do it and how it might be good for me?

thanks.

Main reason, and only reason for me, is to unlock to the phone to any network.

The other things I use with it are getting custom ringtones, and themes.

There is also a way to get free apps, but it doesnt always work, and is not strictly "legal".

The reason you may want it is to customise your iphone in a way apple have prevented, such as themes.

But with the latest updates, its not a problem to do your own personalisation the normal way.

TBH, If my phone didnt need to be unlocked via ultrasnow, i might not jailbreak it. Not on the current JB anyway.
    But I am JB on 4.2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys can I update my iPhone 3GS 16gb to 4.2.1 without Losing my unlock.

I'm using the new iPad bootroom and I'm on ios4.1.

yes ya can but it will be a tethered jailbreak and its the ipad baseband, you will have to use a custom ipsw to update cos itunes wont work

comex is rumoured to be releasing an untethered jb after apple release 4.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Hey guys. Is there an un-tethered jailbreak for Ipod 4G 4.2.1 on Windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

giggsy664 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Is there an un-tethered jailbreak for Ipod 4G 4.2.1 on Windows?
    No not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    You may need to try a restore. Have you got your 4.0.2 SHSH saved?

Forgive my ignorance, i don't and don't know what it is?

Daraflats wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, i don't and don't know what it is?

SHSH allows you to downgrade or restore to a firmware apple isn't signing anymore, now all ya can do is restore to 4.2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

SHSH allows you to downgrade or restore to a firmware apple isn't signing anymore, now all ya can do is restore to 4.2.1

Ok, so how do i save my 4.0.2 shsh now?

Daraflats wrote: »
    Ok, so how do i save my 4.0.2 shsh now?
    It's not possible anymore. Ya can only save it while apple are signing the firmware

It's not possible anymore. Ya can only save it while apple are signing the firmware

If I do a tethered jailbreak on my iPhone 4 will it be hard to sort out an untethered jailbreak when it comes out?

I dunno. Some hackers were saying ya might need shsh for 4.1 saved for an untetethered jb
    We won't know until it's released

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

comex is rumoured to be releasing an untethered jb after apple release 4.3

And when is 4.3 expected out?

• Advertisement

I dunno. Some hackers were saying ya might need shsh for 4.1 saved for an untetethered jb
    We won't know until it's released

I can't find any links which jailbreak a 4.2.1 - is there deffo one out there? Do you have a link?

Advertisement