Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bumpy101

hi does anyone know if there is an untethered jailbreak for a 4.2.1 ipod touch.....i know alot of people are asking about this but its just i currently dont have a computer of my own so dont have easy access to one if i had to reboot with the tethered version

Ps. im only new to apple devices and have tried to do some research on them, but if this question doesnt make sense dont be afraid to tell me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

And when is 4.3 expected out?
    Dunno yet
    I can't find any links which jailbreak a 4.2.1 - is there deffo one out there? Do you have a link?
    Yeah redsn0w will jailbreak it but it will be tethered
    bumpy101 wrote: »
    hi does anyone know if there is an untethered jailbreak for a 4.2.1 ipod touch.....i know alot of people are asking about this but its just i currently dont have a computer of my own so dont have easy access to one if i had to reboot with the tethered version

Ps. im only new to apple devices and have tried to do some research on them, but if this question doesnt make sense dont be afraid to tell me:D
    No not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

guil wrote: »
    It's not possible anymore. Ya can only save it while apple are signing the firmware

Should I save a later version before that is also no longer available?

the only one ya can save now is 4.2.1, theres no harm in doing it so download tinyumbrella
    from here

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Daraflats

the only one ya can save now is 4.2.1, theres no harm in doing it so download tinyumbrella
    from here

will do, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

Sorry about this guys, but I've just bought a 3GS for the missus, and I'd like to jailbreak it. It's been a while since I've done it though, so I'm not up to speed.

The guy that sold the phone restored it to factory settings, and then updated to the latest firmware (4.2.1).

I've heard that 4.2.1 jailbreak isn't 100% yet, so here's what I'm wondering.
    Can I put the phone into DFU mode, restore to an earlier firmware, and jailbreak from there? If yes, what's the best firmware to restore to?
    I don't know what an old/new bootroom is, or which one I have. How do I find out?
    What's the best/easiest software to jailbreak with?

I also need to find out about these shsh things...whatever they are!

So, sorry for all the questions lads. There's a virtual pint on it's way to whoever can help me out!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Guys how do I update my ios4.1 With the iPad bootroom with custom ispw.

Thanks.

to check if it has shsh blobs backed up on cydia download tinyumbrella from the link i posted above, if it was jb before theres a good chance it has got them
    start up tinyumbrella and connect the 3GS, click save my shsh and it will display what blobs it has, if it only gives 4.2.1 ya cant downgrade

i'm nearly certain old bootrom 3GS has a model number starting with MB whereas the new bootrom starts with MC

ya can still jb 4.2.1 but it will be tethered

Guys how do I update my ios4.1 With the iPad bootroom with custom ispw.

Thanks.
    is it a 3gs or what iphone and what exactly do ya want to do

It's a 3GS. Its running in 4.1 and I want to update it to 4.2.1. It's running in the ioda bootroom. If I update it will I loose all my apps.

• Advertisement

i wouldnt update yet, 4.2.1 is still tethered

i wouldnt update yet, 4.2.1 is still tethered

to be honest i dont mind if its tethered or not.
    I never turn my phone off so i'm okay.

so is it do able.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

to be honest i dont mind if its tethered or not.
    I never turn my phone off so i'm okay.

so is it do able.
    This is the process I used: http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/iphone3gs/windows.php?firmware=4.2.1

Tethered JB is a bit of a pain, really. I wouldn't do it next time, if I could avoid it.

This is the process I used: http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/iphone3gs/windows.php?firmware=4.2.1

Tethered JB is a bit of a pain, really. I wouldn't do it next time, if I could avoid it.

thanks for the link but i am confused.

im using the ipad baseband.

would I have to do all the steps in that link.

thanks for the link but i am confused.

im using the ipad baseband.

would I have to do all the steps in that link.

So you've used redsn0w already. To update just download a 4.2.1 ipsw with the iPad baseband

So you've used redsn0w already. To update just download a 4.2.1 ipsw with the iPad baseband

what do you mean with the ipad baseband.

thanks

what do you mean with the ipad baseband.

thanks

Disreagard the bit bout the bb. It doesnt matter. Follow the iclrified guide to update. If ya ever have to reboot just start redsn0w and select boot right now

it worked.

I am still on ios4.1 instead of ios4.2.1

it worked.

I am still on ios4.1 instead of ios4.2.1

Have ya updated to 4.2.1
    Is there any particular reason ya wanna be on that instead of 4.1

i used ios4.2.1 when jailbreaking it.
    how do i update it.
    i followed the method on iclarified.

i just figured that i would have to update my iPhone with the shift key on the keyboard along with the custom ispw so that's what i'm doing now.

• Advertisement

4.2.1 has nothing extra than 4.1

my battery level on 4.1 is pretty bad thats why am i am updating.

and the update didnt work.

its sorted.

its up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

to check if it has shsh blobs backed up on cydia download tinyumbrella from the link i posted above, if it was jb before theres a good chance it has got them
    start up tinyumbrella and connect the 3GS, click save my shsh and it will display what blobs it has, if it only gives 4.2.1 ya cant downgrade

i'm nearly certain old bootrom 3GS has a model number starting with MB whereas the new bootrom starts with MC

ya can still jb 4.2.1 but it will be tethered

Thanks for your help.
    Managed to get it done through Redsn0w. Now to get customising!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Hi,

Need advice please. I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 with baseband 01.59.00 and I want to update it to 4.1 and keep the 01.59.00 baseband so I can unlock it. Is there a guide to do this ?

Thanks

Hi,

Need advice please. I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 with baseband 01.59.00 and I want to update it to 4.1 and keep the 01.59.00 baseband so I can unlock it. Is there a guide to do this ?

Thanks
    http://xsellize.com/topic/81857-upgrade-iphone-4-to-ios-41-preserve-baseband-with-tinyumbrella/
    this will only work for 4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Ok so after I jailbreak it and download many apps etc, how do I undo it and just go back to a legitimate iPhone? will an iTunes update do this?

Are there manufacturer/warranty issues with jailbroken phones?

Thanks.

Crasp wrote: »
    Ok so after I jailbreak it and download many apps etc, how do I undo it and just go back to a legitimate iPhone? will an iTunes update do this?

Are there manufacturer/warranty issues with jailbroken phones?

Thanks.
    just restore in itunes, this WONT work if ya used redsn0w to install the ipad baseband 06.15.00

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

Thanks for that, I'm on iPhone 4.

So that leads me to my last few questions; what data on the phone will be lost during the jailbreaking (tutorial says a restore is performed), and what jailbreak data (ringtones, apps etc) will be lost after the restore when I no longer want jailbreak?

Thanks guys.

what firmware is it on, 4.1 doesnt need a restore to jb and i lost nothing using it either
    if ya restore in itunes, everything from cydia etc, will be deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Crasp wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm on iPhone 4.

So that leads me to my last few questions; what data on the phone will be lost during the jailbreaking (tutorial says a restore is performed), and what jailbreak data (ringtones, apps etc) will be lost after the restore when I no longer want jailbreak?

Thanks guys.

You don't lose anything. Jailbreaking is just the ability to install third party apps and tweaks on your phone that apple don't allow. Jailbreak it, install whatever you want. Restore your iPhone,gets rid of jailbreak and nobody would ever know you had one. If you decide to download your apps for free (illegally) using installous, getting rid of your jailbreak will prevent these apps from working as it requires a mod called appsync for iTunes to recognise them which is only available through Cydia (jailbroken). Even then your apps don't disappear, they are there in all there illegal glory, they just wont open for you.

It should be added that I have had a jailbroken iPhone since the first generation and I don't know how anybody uses a stock iPhone. It's so boring and limited and jailbreaking has become so simple thanks to great developers that there is no excuse for not doing it.

Advertisement