Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

hi i dont know much about this so sorry if its a stupid question.
    I have my iphone 3gs jailbroken, its on 4.1 firmware. How do i unlock it?

thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

to unlock it ya will need to jb with redsn0w and select install ipad baseband
    GPS might not work, ya wont be able to restore or update in itunes again, ya will always have to use a custom firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

hi.

I have restored my phone via Itunes and i am now locked out.

I am unsure what i need to jailbreak it as i dont know what firmware etc it is using?

I am using a Mac and iphone is 2g

any help appreciated

Beans_On wrote: »
    hi.

I have restored my phone via Itunes and i am now locked out.

I am unsure what i need to jailbreak it as i dont know what firmware etc it is using?

I am using a Mac and iphone is 2g

any help appreciated
    if its a 2g the highest firmware it could have is 3.1.3
    ya could use spirit to jb

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

guil wrote: »
    if its a 2g the highest firmware it could have is 3.1.3
    ya could use spirit to jb

will this unlock carrier?

• Advertisement

no, ultrasn0w should

ok its a bit different to unlock it, have a look here for jb and unlock
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-iphone-os-3.1.3-firmware-with-redsn0w-0.9.4/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Got an iPad for Christmas and I updated to 4.2.1

I don't mind having a tethered update as I rarely ever let it go all the way down to zero percent.

Will Redsn0w make it that I can't update it in the future (custom firmware modified for good) or use the untethered version that the dev-team are working on now.

Also, is there any news on when it could be released? As of course i'd like the untethered version.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Got an iPad for Christmas and I updated to 4.2.1

I don't mind having a tethered update as I rarely ever let it go all the way down to zero percent.

Will Redsn0w make it that I can't update it in the future (custom firmware modified for good) or use the untethered version that the dev-team are working on now.

Also, is there any news on when it could be released? As of course i'd like the untethered version.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Yeah ya can use redsn0w to jb. Ya will be able to update and restore in iTunes
    That restriction only applies to iPhones if they install the iPad baseband

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

have ya tried restarting it after installing ultrasn0w

Restarted it to no avail. Any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Yeah ya can use redsn0w to jb. Ya will be able to update and restore in iTunes
    That restriction only applies to iPhones if they install the iPad baseband

So theres pretty much no danger then in Red Sn0wing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I have an iphone which is stuck on the Apple Logo screen.
    Is there a way for me to tell if this phone has been jail broken and if this is the cause of the problem?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    So theres pretty much no danger then in Red Sn0wing it?
    nope
    Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I have an iphone which is stuck on the Apple Logo screen.
    Is there a way for me to tell if this phone has been jail broken and if this is the cause of the problem?
    nope

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Bought new iphone 3GS with Firmware- 05.15.04.
    Searched few websites but none mentioned how to jail break this firmware.

All helps appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

confuzed wrote: »

All helps appreciated.

http://iclarified.com/jailbreak

Need help with a 3Gs.

Was originally 4.1 and I've updated it to 4.2.1, ran redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5 to install the iPad baseband. It's the new bootrom so it's a tethered jailbreak.

Everything was fine, had Cydia on the home screen etc, I went to boot again via redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5 and it just showed the Apple logo (not the connect to iTunes one) so tried to do a fresh install of 4.2.1 in iTunes but keep getting "error 1015".

Any ideas to bypass this?

Thanks

confuzed wrote: »

All helps appreciated.
    That's baseband and has nothing to do with jailbreak
    Need help with a 3Gs.

Was originally 4.1 and I've updated it to 4.2.1, ran redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5 to install the iPad baseband. It's the new bootrom so it's a tethered jailbreak.

Everything was fine, had Cydia on the home screen etc, I went to boot again via redsn0w_win_0.9.6b5 and it just showed the Apple logo (not the connect to iTunes one) so tried to do a fresh install of 4.2.1 in iTunes but keep getting "error 1015".

Any ideas to bypass this?

Thanks

If ya read the warnings before installing the iPad baseband ya would know that it's not possible to restore or upgrade in iTunes anymore. Ya can only use custom ipsw's

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got a iPhone 3GS from a friend who I upgraded to 4.1 (which I presumed was unlockable), but I didn't preserve baseband.

50852894.jpg

Is there anything I can do now? It's stuck at the iTunes activation screen. Sorry if it's been posted already recently.

ya could use limera1n to jailbreak it but the only way to unlock at the moment is to use redsn0w to install the ipad baseband and unlock using ultrasn0w
    if ya install the ipad bb, theres no way to restore or update in itunes anymore, ya will always have to use a custom ipsw and any warranty will be void aswell

Cheers for that guil..

.. presume I won't need an AT&T sim to activate if I upgrade to the iPad baseband, and unlock using Ultrasnow?

• Advertisement

no using redsn0w will bypass the activation, just be sure ya understand the possible problems installing the ipad bb, GPS might not work along with some others

Cheers for that guil.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭BDR

Got an unlocked 3gs from the States last year and attempted (and failed) to upgrade the software the other day.

I'm now locked out of the phone seeing as it doesn't recognise the sim.

Do I need to have the original sim to unlock it or is it possible without it?

BDR wrote: »
    Got an unlocked 3gs from the States last year and attempted (and failed) to upgrade the software the other day.

I'm now locked out of the phone seeing as it doesn't recognise the sim.

Do I need to have the original sim to unlock it or is it possible without it?
    Have a read of the last 6/7 posts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Is there any indication of when a non tethered jb will be out for 4.2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Is there any indication of when a non tethered jb will be out for 4.2.1?
    There is a redsn0w beta available for mac users who are signed up for apples developer programme that provides an untethered jailbreak. As it is in beta stages, there are still some bugs that need to be ironed out so expect that anything that could go wrong, will :p

Where can I download redsn0w? When I follow the link given on this page it says its not able to find the page... http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12945

^^ Never mind the above, I found a link in the comments section on iclarified

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

a friend has given me his 3gs on 4.2.1 and wants me to unlock it to any networks can this be done its never been jailbroken or unlocked before

• Advertisement

a friend has given me his 3gs on 4.2.1 and wants me to unlock it to any networks can this be done its never been jailbroken or unlocked before
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69889446&postcount=1242

Advertisement